Mon Repos Bargara

Mon Repos Bargara

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Just recently spent 4 days at Bargara and during that time I visited Mon Repos to see the loggerhead turtles nesting and hatching.

On the first night we were lucky enough to see some hatchlings finding their way down the beach to the water. They had hatched and found their way from the nest without any of the Mon Repos staff knowing of the happening until we came upon them in our trek up the beach in the dark to see a nesting turtle.

The nesting turtle we saw laid 94 eggs and this was her 6th clutch of eggs for this season....very productive young lady. She laid them too far down the beach and as a result members of the group got to assist with the relocation of the eggs to higher ground.

Night 2 and we got to witness the hatchlings emerging from their sandy nest and then those members of the group with torches got to provide a 'tunnel of light' to assist the little ones to the ocean...all very exciting I can tell you. The unfortunate thing with this is that only 1 in 1000 make it to reproductive age which is about 30 years.

Photographs were limited but I do have some and will upload them as soon as I get them from my laptop.

If you have not ever seen these amazing creatures at Mon Repos, I urge you to do so....it is truly amazing. Viewing is from November through to March every year and you can book after 1 September for the coming season.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Mon Repos Bargara

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm

As I said, there is very limited photo opportunities and here are 2 of the hatchlings....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Pics of the nesting turtle and the relocation of her eggs to higher up the beach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Did you manage to slip a few aside for Omelette?
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Titch2 wrote:Did you manage to slip a few aside for Omelette?
Cheers.
Titch

Not this time Titch....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Mon Repos and the turtle rookery featured on Qld Weekender this arvo. The feature was specifically about the hatchlings and there was some very good footage.

http://www.queenslandweekender.com.au/g ... e=thisWeek
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Queensland