New Member WA.

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New Member WA.

Postby Peter A » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm

:hello:

I have moved from Syderney to WA, Karratha, 6 months ago with wife and 1 year old.

Being up here it is a wonderful opportunity to get out and about so I thought I would introduce my wife to camping. I have not done any recreational camping in a very very long time. I figure best to do as much research as I can first and make camping more enjoyable and as easy as possible. Hence why I am now here.

I have had a good look around the site and, WOW. I have seen some great set ups from obviously very experienced campers. This has certainly got my mind ticking over.

Cheers

Pete
Peter A

Re: New Member WA.

Postby Titch2 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Welcome Pete,enjoy the forum.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:30 pm

WELCOME to the forum Pete and glad to hear you are impressed with our camps. There is much to read here, loads of pics (yes we love pics) and some great members with heaps of ideas. And we love to share.

If you have any questions, fire away....I always say 'the only dumb question is the one not asked'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Welcome aboard Peter & Family.....Its a funny ole game this camping,,,,I've been involved in camping from a very early stage both in NZ...and here in Aussie (5 yrs over your way in W.A....we had a 3b/r tent in those days)...(and I miss staying in Mandurah,,,,as it was back 20 yrs ago)
One thing you will quickly learn....is that you never stop learning...every camp...meeting new people...just seeing what the other 1/2 own & what they do with it adds up to heaps of new experiences instore for you.
1st advice I would suggest is buy the best that comes with-in your budget..BUT don't be to proud to buy 2nd hand if its in great condition....(you never know...what ever you bought may not suit you after you have actually used it)...
ASK HEAPS OF QUESTIONS.........its a great time for Family bonding when you have younger ones...ENJOY !!!

Cheers

Rosco
p.s.....Don't believe anything Titch tells you...hes 'Vic'......lol
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Peter A » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks for the replys.

I figured camping is one of those activities you get better at the more you do it. Like a lot of other things that I keep telling the wife :*** reverse parallel parking

This is one of the reasons we are going to ease in to it a bit. And the wife is not so much the outdoor type (read: Princess).

We have a landcruiser that I plan to put an awning (Foxwing or Supa-wing) on, some drawers (yet to be decided) and a slide (platimum drop slide) for my Engel. My plan so far is for day trips out and about exploring then go to a nice park with all the amenities for an over nighter. Try to be as self sufficient as possible, but this way if we forget something we are never too far from the shop. It will be a few months before we plan an overnighter, weather up here is not too nice at the moment and very unpredictable, but it is very green.

Cheers,

Pete.
Peter A

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Peter A wrote:This is one of the reasons we are going to ease in to it a bit. And the wife is not so much the outdoor type (read: Princess).

go to a nice park with all the amenities for an over nighter.
Cheers,

Pete.

Pete that is the best idea, go somewhere nice that has all amenities (hot showers & flush toilets) and break the princess (oops, I meant wife) in gently.

If she enjoys her first camp you will at least get her to a second one and then onwards from there.

Maybe you could go to a CP with on site tents or vans for your very first camp....that way you will know that everything works and there is no struggle with putting up a tent or the like.

No big outlay up front either.

Go somewhere that she likes...eg beach is she likes the water/sand....bush/forest if she is into tranquil settings.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 am

Hey Peter, welcome aboard.

I agree. Our first camp was at a caravan park, the next at a national park with hot showers and flush toilets but no power, then NP with toilets no shower, then bush camping with nothing.

We do take a lot of stuff like our own toilet... I've been told to work out the shower issue - maybe a heat exchange and pump set up.

Once you get to the stage that you can go to places without facilities then you can see some amazing parts of the country.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby Peter A » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Kev,

That is a very good break down on how to ease into self sufficient camping.
Small steps and we will get there. Trying to find some nice caravan parks at the moment that might be an option. When I come up with some options I will throw them on here and get some opinions.

Cheers,

Pete.
Peter A

Postby Steve d » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Pete,

Welcome to WA.
Well, we too have moved to WA from QLD ....
We are planning our very first camping here in WA - all four of us... 2 little girls and wifey. Have reserved a campervan for the easter break for 6 days. Plan to see most of WA and see how it goes. Fingers Crossed:) ;)

Cheers
Steve
Steve d

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:09 pm

GLAD i'M NOT A PASSENGER IN YOUR CAR STEVE D

6 days. Plan to see most of WA

All I can say....is....I don't think so !!!!!!...But you will enjoy what you do get to see.

:beer :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Introductions: