Custom Canvas Awning / Canvas Off Cuts

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Custom Canvas Awning / Canvas Off Cuts

Postby garbage » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi there,

I'm wanting to add a custom canvas awning to my touring tent. Does anyone know where I can get some canvas off cuts? Does anyone know how much canvas generally costs per square metre (not necessarily off-cuts)?

If anyone's had any experience working with canvas, I'd be interested in hearing how easy it is to sew together.

garbage
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:10 am

I have a friend who's an upholsterer. He doesn't work with canvas but might know someone who does. Next time I see him I'll try and remember to ask.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

canvas offcuts

Postby sharee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 pm

hi garbage

you might want to try local op shops or tipshops (i don't know if they exist outside Tassie). My husband has just built a tent top for a flattray camper using tipshop tents. We bought 4 various sized tents in good condition for under $20.

It was more difficult to sew together than we expected. Luckily we were able to borrow an industrial sewing machine - i highly recommend getting hold of one.

good luck
sharee
sharee

Postby garbage » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Sharee,

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean it's practically impossible to get the job done with a household sewing machine?

garbage
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby sharee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Maybe it is possible, if you go slow and have a good machine? to be honest, i don't know. It would depend how much sewing you have to do. Our camper needed lots of stitching. If you are just doing a couple of runs it might be OK.

Do you have to use canvas? Ages ago we sewed an extension onto a standard tent of ripstop nylon. a normal sewing machine did that ok

does the addition need to be sewn on? can you attach it with eyelets or similar clips?

sharee
sharee

Postby amanda » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Even attaching the thickest needle possible to a domestic machine the job would be extremely difficult and above all frustrating. Quite simply, the needles will just continue to break. You might get there eventually, but you'll have gone through buckets of needles in the process, and I'm pretty sure any hair you had left would have turned grey! An industruial machine is the only way to go.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Just an update - got a couple of quotes to get a matching zipper added to my 1.8m x 6m piece of canvas and a few eyelets in it. One mob in Silverwater (Sydney) quoted $240 which was quite steep considering it would have been half the cost of the tent to begin with. I found someone else in Lidcombe who could do it for about $130-150. If anyone needs more details on these, let me know.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Return to Gear Guide