there should be set rates in all caravan parks for travelers

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

there should be set rates in all caravan parks for travelers

Postby regnshaniah n » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 am

i think all caravan parks need to encourage more travelers and there should be a set rate on
powered sites for those 40 n over like 18 dollars a night
some over charge and if it wasnt for all us travelers they wouldn't have visitors that stay on a week or more
maybe someone can urge a news paper to really encourage a set rate
regnshaniah n
Camping King

Re: there should be set rates in all caravan parks for travelers

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am

Regnshaniah...Your '''if it wasnt for all us travelers they wouldn't have visitors that stay on a week or more'''
might apply in some states ..BUT....you try and get a spot in Qld from about April / May onwards for the whole of winter...its dam near impossible...
We have all the Southerners up this way having their 2nd Summer for the year...and believe me...they don't seem to want to go home.
They can be just as busy over Summer with all the tourists that come here (wasn't to good this year with the floods / cyclones)....but they will be distant memories in a few months.
Its really hard to get in....even as a local up here.
One of the reasons many in our group have turned to ''Freedom Camping''...to get away from the crowds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby regnshaniah n » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:47 pm

i love queensland its been my second home for 7 months of each year the past 3 yrs
its sad about the devastation
but there were a few places we paid 22 dollars and under the maxium stay at some places are 6 weeks i think
i love free camping as well but at times i like stopping in van parks as well.
regnshaniah n
Camping King

Postby hoadie72 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

Are you suggesting a discounted rate for people over 40 years of age?

Why discriminate against younger people? We stay in caravan parks too.

I don't think they overcharge - prices are set by the laws of supply and demand. If the prices are too high then no-one will stay and the place will go broke.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Ian S » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Give me National Parks, State Forests and free camps any day.... :+
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

hoadie72 wrote:Are you suggesting a discounted rate for people over 40 years of age?

Why discriminate against younger people? We stay in caravan parks too.

I don't think that is what was being suggested at all hoadie....think it is more a case of nomads/retirees etc living in their vans permanently or at least long term to which Regnshaniah was referring in the OP.

Most long term travelers don't want all the family orientated things like jumping pillows, swimming pools, games rooms etc....they have basic needs....some power to recharge, some water to fill the tanks. laundry facilities and a dump point.

Most are living on limited funds and many are govt funded pensioners who simply cannot afford weeks at a time in CPs at $30+ per day or more.

Younger people (generally speaking) on the other hand go for their weekends or annual holidays....are often families and plan for their expenses.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby hoadie72 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:00 am

Actually, it's exactly what was said. Or at least, how I read it. Unless the OP meant 40 days?

i think all caravan parks need to encourage more travelers and there should be a set rate on
powered sites for those 40 n over like 18 dollars a night
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 am

No you are right, the OP quoted 40 years and over hoadie.....The way I read it, it is aimed at full time and or long term travelers as Regnshaniah are.....not the average holiday maker who is still in the workforce.

So if you are 40 years old and live in your van permanently and travel then the cost should be relevant to your needs....

If you are 45 and only holiday once a year with your family and require all the 'extras' then you pay the premium price....

I personally think age is irrelevant, it is a lifestyle that is really being commented on here.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ian S » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am

At the end of the day CP's are a business and are there to make money. And as stated in another post, the more attractions the more mula you fork out. There has been an increase in CP usage and there has been a bit of a revolution here, with resort prices going through the roof many younger families and buying vans, CT's or family sized tents and heading for the big parks like Big 4's (why I don't know), but they have attractions for the kiddies, parents can sit back and sip their wines whilst the kids are of off being entertained, rather than being a part of the kids entertainment.

Regnshaniah, may I suggest looking for council funded CP's in the area you plan to stay, they are basic but clean and usually well looked after. PLUS they are a lot cheaper than your more eloborate parks. I know the one north of here at Maira cost us $21 p/n unpowered & 23 p/n powered, that's for 2 adults & 3 kids, and there are weekly discounts, plus discounts for pensioners. It's pretty good there they have a play area for the kids, bbq area and its right on the banks of the Kolan River. It suits us for a weekend away when we don't want to go bush and it is extremely popular with the grey nomads. But there are many around like it. We stayed in one at Wingham at the showgrounds $18 p/n or $85 p/w powered. Most of these allow you to dump your loo or cassettes as long as disinfectant is used and not the enviro stuff.

In all honesty I don't think this is a business that you could regulate, it is a bit like holiday units, location, location, location. Prices are controlled by where the parks are and the ammenities they have. You wouldn't expect to pay the same for a 5 star resort unit on the beach with all the trimings as you would for a back water motel room, would you, no matter how old you were.
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 am

Seems like we may have to ask ''Regnshaniah''...for a clarification on his/her post as to who she was aiming at when she mentions ,,,age,,time etc....
I for one believe us older buzzards are meant to have saved for our retirement....and if this is how we have chosen to see the next stage of our life....then its up to us to fund it....
Most people who worked hard for their $$$ in their younger years are not likely to be the ones staying in the top end bracket camping grounds watching their money fritter away anyway....although it is always nice to be in the ''front row'' when it is available.
Hoadie,,,I am right with you when you ask
'''Why discriminate against younger people? We stay in caravan parks too. ...
To me its extreamly important that younger families be given similar opportunities that we were given as young people bringing up our young families....and similar price structuring being offered to the grey nomad age people.(Dam expensive business bringing up children now-days)....and to the few who do complain about young families staying in camping grounds....WAKE-UP...what a great joy listening to the kids laughing and cackling in the parks....and who cares if a kid zooms past a little to fast on his bike...after all,,,,all hes doing is probably just the same as you did....when you were his age. (Hmmm....got off the subject a little there,,,,sorry)...was just trying to sorta justify why I feel there should be no age discrimination at camp grounds.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

Who would actually "want" to stay in a Caravan Park anyway? :booty :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 pm

stevo. wrote:Who would actually "want" to stay in a Caravan Park anyway? :booty :cheers

Horses for courses Stevo......like you I prefer 'free' camping but have on more than one occasion stayed in a CP because it suited my needs at the time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 pm

We are in the same boat Gypsy, although my preference is to freedom camp I have to consider Avis from time to time because I know that she prefers to stay in camps and only puts up with ''ruffing'' it to keep me happy.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby regnshaniah n » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:39 am

hello to all
gypsy has got it right im not ruling out anyone in the age brackets but i see many over 40's living permanently on the road .i have no retirement fund just live day by day some of us had no choice not to work due to stay at home mums or illness.
i live on the road nearly all year round yes i do free camp but accasions would go into van parks .
i had a community house but my daughter and 2 kids needed it more then me so i handed it over as signed it over legally'
i was diagnosed with osteoarthritis from my neck down so i have everyday pain but i wont let it rule my life .
i know its my choice in life to live on the road i dont mind paying 22 to 26 dollars a night at van parks
some people only go away holiday season so prices are greater then off season.
there should be some threshold for pensioners or retirees .
but i just think 30 dollars or more is far to much yeah they have land taxes and other things to pay
but its the younger ones who have kids that will pay to keep them happy with pools jumping pillows ect.
so i hope i have made sense im not against anyone just trying to get the message out there that some van parks choose a price that is beyond some peoples budget.
cheers shaniah
regnshaniah n
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for the clarification shaniah......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat