WAECO CA-35

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

WAECO CA-35

Postby simnat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the Waeco CA-35. We are looking for an inexpensive 3 way fridge to keep our stuff cool while camping. Don't have access to 240V at campsite and can't afford the solar panel option and can not use a generator so gas is really the only option.
simnat

Postby Scolers » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Just remember that, as is the case with most 3 ways, they wont freeze after the temp goes beyond the high 20's. Coolest temp for a 3 way is approx. 25 degrees below ambient whereas 240/12v is 50 degrees below ambient.

We ditched the idea of a 3 way and now use an ice box.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:34 pm

If gas is your only option, your best bet would be to put up with ice for a while. I've never seen a 3way fridge get cold and i've never heard anything good about them.

An alternative to the solar panels idea would be a dual battery setup for your car (but that'd still set you back atleast $3/$400), and just run a 12v fridge. Or if you have a decent battery and alternator you can just 'chance' it and run it off your car's starting battery. (I did this on my last trip and the 1st night was fine, but my alternator is crap and didn't charge my battery enough for the second night).

I've also heard of people using those cheap jump-starter packs to run fridges since some of them have a 12v socket. But I don't know how reliable this setup would be :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby simnat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:09 pm

We live in Tassie so the temperature is not the same as far North QLD, NSW, NT or WA. We just need it to keep things cool like milk etc.

I have seen these 3 way fridges work but wanted to know how the Waeco compared with the Chescold which is obviously more expensive.

I guess it may be a little new for anyone else to have tried.
simnat

waeco

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:09 pm

Wouldn't a decent esky be sufficient in Tassie? Even in tropical parts of Qld we get a few days with the ice in a kookaburra box. Surely last a week at least in Tas. Keeping it in the shade makes the world of difference. We haven't used our Waeco for ages, (needs a thermostat I think). Freeze whatever you can (even tinnies) and put milk bottles filled with water frozen in. A better quality insulated esky works great! :?#
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Re: waeco

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:01 am

gqpatrol wrote:Wouldn't a decent esky be sufficient in Tassie? Even in tropical parts of Qld we get a few days with the ice in a kookaburra box. Surely last a week at least in Tas. Keeping it in the shade makes the world of difference. We haven't used our Waeco for ages, (needs a thermostat I think). Freeze whatever you can (even tinnies) and put milk bottles filled with water frozen in. A better quality insulated esky works great! :?#

Ditto ... just come back from a 5 day trip with a few temps in the high 30's. Our 83ltr Kookaburra worked a treat and beleive me if it didn't kee the beer cold I'd be one angry camper!

:-bang

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Jok » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:36 pm

G'day, I can't help with Waeco, but I've had a Chescold 3-way 40L
for about twenty years, fantastic fridge. Works best on gas, although
both 240 and 12 work very well. It will start to freeze on twelve volt
if I have thermo too low.
It has been tested in hot temps, almost two years travelling Oz, and
as long as I keep it out of direct sunlight it is fine-38 Degrees in the
back of the wagon heading to Fitzroy River-works a lot better
than the van fridge!
Most people don't like them because they use a lot of power on 12 V,
but if you run big wires and only have fridge running when car is you will
be fine. Gas usage will use a 4.5 Kg bottle in a week or three.
Hope this helps a bit,
Jok
Jok
Camping King

Postby sharee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 pm

I too live in Tassie, and have narrowed our choice down to the waeco 3way and the Finch fridge (i think that is the chescold one you refer to).
We are buying primarily for a 5 month trip north, but also want a fridge for future trips in cooler climes.
we have decided on 3 way, because we want to be away from it all for weeks at a time, and we can't afford the solar panels for the 2 way. we did consider a good esky and ice, but have heard that the cost of ice in isolated hot places is prohibative.
i realise that 3way will never be as good as 2 way, but we really only want to stop milk curdling on hot days, and keep the butter solid-ish.
anyway, it would be good to hear whether the Waeco or the Chescold is better. The Waeco is much cheaper, but i would like to know why.

sharee[/quote][/list][/list]
sharee

Postby sharee » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 am

Hi all

i'd be grateful for any thoughts on some new fridge info i've been given

a chap who sells the new waeco 35 cooler, the chescold finch fridge and the engel range reckons the engel is the way to go.

apparently the waeco-35 is just a cooler, not a fridge. so it wont get as cold as a finch fridge. we were looking for a fridge that would let us be away from driving and civilisation for a while - hence the choice of a 3way. we don't want to pay for solar panels

the salesman reckons that because the engel draws so much less power than anything else, his engel runs for 6 days just from the aux deep cell battery. does anyone else out there run an engel just from a battery?

he also thought we would be better to have a second gas bottle with a 3way fridge (the first gas bottle would be for cooking). does anyone run a cooker and fridge from 1 9kg gas bottle with some sort of splitter??

i'll need a good reason to spend $1100 on an engel (with bag) compared to $600 for the chescold - is there one?

sharee
sharee

Return to Gear Guide