Many years ago, during my infantry training at Ingelburn, witnessed a tent fire.
Now let me say, tents in those days were a little different from today, the canvas was much thicker then today and majority had an inner, and an outer fly BOTH made from same material, also walls were same material.
This tent was a 10 foot by 10 foot tent designed for four persons and all their junk.
Up until the time this ten went up, I was quiet amused by all the fire fighting stuff stored around and along the tent lines, buckets of sand, things looking like a mop, fire hoses every 100 feet or so.
Well, when she went up,(still dunno why she went up in the first place) it took a matter of about 1 1/2 minutes to fully burn and then it was all over.
So incredibly quick, you would'nt believe it, have to witness it to believe it, how fast a tent will burn.
So YES, treat your tent as a NUMBER ONE FIRE HAZARD
at all times.
I would suggest using gas powered lanterns anywhere near a tent, as asking for trouble, there's good electric powered LED lighting available today, and they have not yet burnt down anything.
Regards the gas lit lamp near the fire,
Yep, been guilty of that one myself, but I guess the secret words are; 'near the fire'. What does 'near' mean ?
I would consider 20 to thirty feet away from a fire reasonable, also in our case, I usually place it behind my chair, so if it's going to catch fire, it'll do so after I'm burnt to a crisp.
Of course it goes without saying too, keep your camping equipment in top condition, especially if using lpg appliances, and TEACH YOUR KIDS TO RESPECT THEM TOO
However, the main factor is your canvas tent, NEVER allow your diligence to disregard it is potential fire bomb if ignited, and it CAN be ignited by various means including your good old ordinary sparks from your fire, an electrical short could also ignite things, so ALWAYS be diligent when camping.
I know thats sometimes difficult whe down a half a dozen cold ones and trying to relax, but what's the alternative ?
In the case reported on this site, I suspect the media were over playing things by claiming the cylinder blew up. Photos I saw of the incident, established it was an ordinary lpg cylinder, such cylinders are fitted with safety device that melts when certain temperature is reached and vents the gas to atmosphere, thus avoiding an explosion. YES, it will mean an incredible flame like a large blow torch, but the explosion will be avoided. Here in the West, we saw many such cylinders after bush fires went thru, NONE of them blew up, but everyone of them, had blown their safety device and vented.
Don't know what facility is instaled in the throw away type gas canisters, but I'd hazard to say, there'd be something similar.