Quality Tents

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Quality Tents

Postby id » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:17 pm

I'm planing on taking a camping trip all around Australia for up to 1 year.
What type of tent would be the best for this use? Taking into account comfort and security.
What other accessories would be essential?
Any input would be appreciated.
:)
id

Postby Kitch76 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:12 pm

If money wasn't a problem I would go for a camper trailer. If you are on a budget I would opt for a centre pole tent if you intend setting up at night and packing up in the morning as these use 4 pegs wack the centre pole in and vola 1 nights accomodation. If u are staying for a few days at a time I would go for one of the larger dome tents for ease of setting up and the large space they offer.

all the other stuff depends on your avaliable space.
Kitch76

Postby mllbrown » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:30 pm

If you are putting the tent up and down I would suggest a canvas tent for durability. The centre pole tent is a great idea for ease and speed.
mllbrown

Postby mokey79 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:13 pm

My partner and I are about to do the same thing. We have a 4WD and were thinking of sleeping in the 4 man dome tent we have a erecting a tarp off the back of the car to cook under etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on what kinda tarp to use or any other ideas as to what we could use? we've also considered a gazebo
mokey79

Postby Goody » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Monkey79,
I have used a gazebo as a substitute type tarp before and they are pretty rickity and even with a tarp over the top they arnt that great for what you want to do( ok for about 4 days) the steel poles that make them up will warp with any weight(rain) that may pool on them or high winds.
Good luck on your trip
Goody
Goody

OZ TENT

Postby Cheiffy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:58 pm

G'day guys,

Try looking at a second hand OzTent. I know there is one available on EBAY in Victoria at a real good price. Unfortunately I am in QLD so I miss out on this one. These are a good quality canvas tent that are extremely quick and easy to set up (30 seconds apparently) and they have an awning that is quite sufficient for people on the goThe only problem is you need roof racks but if you do, you may want to check them out.

Cheers

8) Cheiffy
Please sir, Can I have some more? Time off that is.

"Hard at it"
Fruit Bat Falls, Cape York
Cheiffy
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi

I would recommend the Oztent as well. If you check out their site at http://www.oztent.com.au/ you will find links that show you how they operate.

One of the options you can buy is an awning to the back of your vehicle. Look at it at http://www.oztent.com.au/e2shop/listpro ... egoryID=86

You will also find a neat video to download.

Not cheap but got to be one of the best tents around.

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby mokey79 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks for the advice Goody. We have recently seen a gazebo that actaully has guy ropes which we thought would be alot sturdier, did yours have guy ropes? We are thinking that we would like one purely to keep insects out while we are eating etc as our tent has a reasonable tarp off the front that we can back the car up to which will be much sturdier.

Also does anyone have any ideas on the best kind of laterns to use. We are thiking about getting battery operated as we don't what to have to buy more gas bottles.
mokey79

Postby Goody » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:28 pm

Hi Mokey,
I have seen those gazibo's that are enclosed to keeps insects out but they are dear to buy.
I just today went and bought a new gazibo type tarp which unfolds and is very sturdy. The top is water proof and it is 3m x 3m and 2.4 high. You can buy sides to it too if you want, it cost $229 from BCF at Lawnton in Brissy. Before this I was pricing tarps, poles and pegs and the price is comparable, however the ease at which this thing goes will save heaps of time sweat and swearing which my wife sure will enjoy :lol:
We go for a trip up to Mudjimba on Friday for a refreshing 5 days of kicking back and fishing, looking forward to it
All the best
Goody
Goody

Postby Azuriel » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:58 pm

Hi id,

from more of a hiker/camper's perspective i'd recommend the 2005-model MacPac Starlight ... it's a great 4-season tent, which means it is suitable for all conditions, including in the snow ... comes with 4 poles, although only 2 are essential ... the best thing about it is you can put it up and fold it away without removing the poles from the tent material itself, so no water getting on the inside when yu need to put it up n the rain ... there's a vestibule on each end, with each of these being large enough for 2 people to sit & cook under (but only if you're cooking with a small stove like a MSR or similar) ... also very lightweight at only 2.5kg-ish, although if you guys are driving around, this might not be such an important consideration ...

only downside is its a tad pricey, with RRP currently at about $1,249 ...
Azuriel
Boy Scout

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Lights
If your travelling in a vehicle. You are going to be hard pushed to go past tube lighting. They come in a range of sizes now and i have also seen the same style light with high intensity diodes. I have run a 2 tube light from a deep cycle battery for four days and nights.
I would suggest that you have a second batery fitted to your vehicle, with some form of isolating switch system. (nothing worse than sitting in a nice camping spot. Knowing freinds are waiting for you to arive at the next spot and the car wont start)
Good luck
Dont tell me the sky is the limit...
There are foot prints on the moon.
Nightwatch

Postby KerryandWendy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:13 pm

My wife and myself spent six months in a tent with a tarp as a fly and extra room(20x12). We chose a Blackwolf Ranger which is an OZ 30 second tent RV4. There is talk of an RV5 coming out and we may upgrade to an RV5 or the new Black wolf Turbo. These tents cost $1,000 plus, but are worth it.

We had pulled up to a flat spot on the side of the trail many times and had our cooking and sleeping ready in 10 minutes. The tarp only went up for 3day plus stays.

We chose to 4wd and had some stops here and there with no effort to get the tent and bed set up in minutes. I like a good bed so we bought and OZ Trail Instant Bed. I used a manual high volume dual action pump and that was my workout for the stay each time.

If you are looking at a cabin type tent I have an as new Nomad Canvas which we left at home. We did buy a box trailer half way around OZ to carry our gear and get it off the roof. This made setting up easier and we did not have to unpack everything for short stops but everything was at our finger tips.

The Canvas Nomad has awnings both ends and a sunroom add on which has never been used, size is approx 6 meters by 3 metres. Cost over $1,000 selling for $500 in Rockhampton.

We are planning to go again real soon, once is not enough and if I do not sell the Nomad we may take it along for the longer stopovers in Caravan Parks, the main room is 3mx3mx2.4m. We would still take a Turbo Tent or RV5 because sometimes you can not judge the travel time real well and have to set up in the Dark, these tents make it a breeze to set up anywhere anytime, and more time to enjoy yourselves.

CAMPER tRAILERS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE AND TOO MUCH HARD WORKIN MY OPINION.

Make sure whatever tent you can stand up easily inside to get changed or have a bucket wash.

With the centrepole tents, you can not get a good double bed inside so get used to sleeping in folding beds on either side of the pole for however long you are away. They have become less popular and much cheaper now than they were a few year ago. The Black Wolf and OZ 30 second tents have only gone up in price. You will pay for quality.

If you dont like the missus go the centrepole, but these trips can become very romantic.
Have tent will Travel
KerryandWendy
Boy Scout

Tents

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:58 pm

We recently purchased on Oztrail Tourer 10 plus canvas tent from ebay. It has a centre pole, and a ridge pole at the back. It is 8 man, and we easily fit two double matresses at the back, and you could fit at least 2-3 singles in the front. We can stand up in the middle, and there is heaps of space. On the down side, to easily erect, it only folds down to a 1m x 1m x 20cm bag, which is a bit bulky. Easy to erect, and airy and spacious once up. Just under $400 on ebay, delivered to cq. :D
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Guest » Sat May 27, 2006 7:40 am

:roll:
Site Admin

Return to Camping Tips and Locations