Newbie Question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Newbie Question

Postby Scott S » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm new to camping & wanted to start off by asking a question about stretcher beds.

We have a newly purchased OzTrail Bungalow 6-person tent & I was looking at stretcher beds recently in BCF. What I was wondering was: do the feet of the stretcher beds damage the floor of the tent?

Cheers.

Scott S
Boy Scout

Re: Newbie Question

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Depends on what sort of feet they are Scott....can you post a pic of them??

I often take my mum camping in a tent and I put a heavy cotton rug on the floor under her bed just to make sure.

I would think the only time you would have a problem with a good quality tent is if you set up on a hard gravelly surface.

Another thing to keep in mind when purchasing a bed is how easily it will tip when sitting on the edge of it. Try it out yourself....if it tips over easily....leave it in the shop.

BTW Scott........WELCOME to the forum.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, GypsyLady.

The stretcher I was looking at in the shop was something like this one:
http://www.kampers.com.au/sale.php?p=Jumbo_Camp_Stretcher

It had square rubber feet on the bottom of each leg.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:30 am

OK Scott that is different to the one I got for my mum.....feet are different too.

You'll probably find it is ok BUT I personally would not be taking the chance.....I'd be putting a couple of mats or something similar under the feet......especially if on a hard surface.

The attached pic is like the one I got mum.....it has flat spread plastic feet....not a very good pic but it will give you an idea what to look for when you shop next.

It is the Anywhere Single bed at the bottom right of the pic. I actually ditched the air bed and substituted it with a self inflating mattress which fits nicely into the attached sleeve on the bed. I bought mum's from KMart on special for about half the price of the ones in the camping stores.

It is relatively easy to pack up too, even mum can pack hers up. Comes with it's own carry bag.

PS
I forgot to mention.....with Easter coming up there will be sales all over the place so keep an eye open for them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I got a brand new double airbed off eBay for $15.50 (inluding postage) so that'll see us through the first outing.

We're going on our first camping trip next weekend (March 18-20) so we'll soon find out what does and doesn't work and what extra things we might need.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Good Luck with the airbed and have a great camp Scott and please tell us all about it on your return. Any pics you might have would be good also.

BTW....did you tell us where you are heading to for the camp??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 am

We're off to Carmila Beach.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:40 am

Scott S wrote:We're off to Carmila Beach.

Sounds FABULOUS Scott and I might also say that CB is definitely on my 'must visit' list when I get up that way. Have only ever heard good things about the place.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 am

not the airbed!!

I hope they make them better than they used to! You used to have to get up at 3am and pump it up again :-bang
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Scott S » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

stevo. wrote:not the airbed!!

I hope they make them better than they used to! You used to have to get up at 3am and pump it up again :-bang

Yes, the airbed may not make it on camping trip #2 if it goes down through the night. The main reason I got the airbed was because I wasn't sure about the stretcher bed feet damaging the bottom of the tent & didn't want to fork out a couple of hundred bucks on three stretchers if I couldn't use them.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Take a 12 volt air pump, patches & glue Scott and you should be good. It is normally only when you are not prepared that things go wrong.....you know Murphy's Law.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I've got the pump & I'll take the patch-kit that came with it.

Our biggest hurdle is going to be the weather I think. We've had over 300mm of rain in the past 5 days here. Carmila was read out on ABC Queensland news last night as having 163mm yesterday so it's going to be very wet!

And here I was thinking it'd be a nice, gentle entry into the camping lifestyle... :roll:
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby stevo. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:50 pm

The airbed might come in handy then! (if it floats)
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm

Scott S wrote:
And here I was thinking it'd be a nice, gentle entry into the camping lifestyle...

A caravan park or campground with amenities, including a camp kitchen, flush toilets and hot showers is a gentle entry into camping Scott.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

I'll do a little review of the camping area at Carmila Beach when I get back, but I'm told there are drop toilets only. Also, we have to drive into town to get water (or take enough with us).

The sun is half out this morning, so lets hope it dries out by Friday afternoon!

p.s. Why don't I get email notifications of topic replies? I have it all set up to do so, but I'm not getting them. I've double-checked that the email addrerss is correct too.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Gear Guide