Making a Fly

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Making a Fly

Postby Woodsy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm

As some of you might know, our tent does not have a fly, it is a nylon cabin style tent, 10 man, 2 room with an awning out the front. So this means we have to put a dirty big tarp over the whole lot which takes abit of time and effort to setup. Which is abit much for just the 2 of us, it almost ruined our last big camping trip in the Barrington tops as i pulled my hamstring setting the thing up.

So what can we do? Is there a lighter material we could use to replace the tarp? Should we attempt at making a fitted fly? Or do we ditch the tent and get something abit smaller and easier to setup?

Cheers Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Making a Fly

Postby Titch2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Ask yourselves if you need a tent that big.
Would the whole experience be better,not so big.
I have a light fly made from nylon,very light and easy to use.
Not sure if its still available tho,came from Rays Outdoors about 8 years ago.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Woodsy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm

We could downsize alot, even to something half the size, but we like sitting outside the tent so it needs a big awning, and that fly screen mesh that we have up in that photo is brilliant at keeping the bugs out. I'm not saying we should move into our 2 man tent as i have to sleep in that diagonally to fit.

The other option was to get a Boot tent, the type that connects to the back of a wagon, hatchback or 4x4, that would save some space and the tent could be even smaller if we use the area in the back of the car as the kitchen etc.

The gf's parents wanted to give us a Canvas tent similar to ours. They put it up last week and the thing looks brand new but its HUGE and way to big for us.

I would even be happy stepping back to the old A frame tent, 2 poles and afew ropes and your done!
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Get a smaller one for weekenders and keep the lovely big tent, tarp, flyscreen etc for longer term camps Josh....simple.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I am thinking along the same lines as the ole girl here....although I would be tempted to drop down a few sizes.
That is what we did.....1/2 the size but went up heaps in quality.
Don't forget that Nylon tents still get dam hot in the summer....hence the value of a tarp.....plus... I'm still not convinced just how waterproof Nylon tents would be in a storm / downpour ....We always used a tarp with ours so I never got to find out.
Keeping a reasonably big tarp still gives us the room outside where we prefer to spend most of our time
The other reason for dropping sizes...it only took 40 minutes to put up (30 minutes arguing...10 minutes to set up..lol.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:01 pm

We have never gone away for a long camping trip, only 3 day weekends at this stage. As the gf's work would not allow us to go for any longer.

We have had ours up in gale force winds and rain, and it was fine, although the tarp was dropped down to the ground on one side. That was our first camping trip.

Could always just get a Holden Panelvan and be done with it... lol
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Woodsy wrote:We have never gone away for a long camping trip.

It doesn't mean you won't at some time in the future though Woodsy......

Don't either of you ever get annual holidays??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Even a Campervan is great for 3 day trips (I know people who have done the ''360'' in one)...
I use ours often for when I do out-of-town Security jobs ..whole week in Townsville when the Townville 400's on...I luv the beast...but Avis like more room....
Still ''Camping'' in my books.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 pm

You've been a naughty boy again Rosco.......those pics were way too BIG and not at all forum friendly and as such I have resized them and reposted them for you.

Unfortunately they lost their captions in transit so you might like to go in and edit them.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Sorry Gypsy...Only chance I get to be ''Naughty'' now days :-bang ...lol
I think he will get the drift......
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

The gf was bugging me for us to get a van when we went to Mungo but she hasnt bought it up since. I could use a van for my work ( i'm a self employed Vehicle Detailer ) and for camping and for my toy ( i used to race a go kart and will be getting another one as soon as funds permit ).

I still call it camping, the only downside is we like to explore in the car when we go camping, abit hard leaving your camping spot everytime we want to venture out if we have a van.

I do like the setup you have rosco, from memory our tent takes 1.5hrs to setup with the fly, thats with everything setup. Which is abit long for me.

I just remembered that my uncle has 2 old tents in the garage, i'll borrow them on the weekend and set them up to see what they are like, i think one is an A frame tent and the other is a dome.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Have no fear...I have another pic here...lol
This way we back under the tarp and do our ''camping''.....When we want to go 'cruizing'....just drive off....yay
Just back in and carry on when you get back (by then....the beer should be cold....ha
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Hmmmmm your giving me bad ideas Rosco.....
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Good boy Rosco.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Could always sell you a share in a 30fter...lol
I've been out working on the bus this morning.....ready to lay the front carpet now.
Poor thing....I have been so busy I haven't been out to work on it for a few months now.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat