Newbie Question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Newbie Question

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

I am not sure about that one Scott.....I always just go to View New Posts at the forum. You might like to shoot a PM to Andrew (Activity Dept) and ask him the question??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Scott S wrote: I'll do a little review of the camping area at Carmila Beach when I get back, but I'm told there are drop toilets only. Also, we have to drive into town to get water (or take enough with us).

That is not an easy entry to camping IMO....especially having to cart your own water and no showers.

Scott S wrote:The sun is half out this morning, so lets hope it dries out by Friday afternoon!

Fingers and paws crossed for you and fine weather. Also love to see your review when you return....oh and BTW...don't forget the pics too please.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm

I just got a call from the organiser of the camping group and it's been called off. :cry: What a shame. :cry:

Now we'll have to wait until the opportunity arrises again.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Scott S wrote:I just got a call from the organiser of the camping group and it's been called off. :cry: What a shame.

How disappointing for you Scott......HOWEVER, may I suggest that you go a for a weekend camp anyhow....maybe a little nearer to you in a CP or campground. Just you and the youngster, have a little practice on your own.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm

yeah good suggestion GP, ya can't rely on anyone to go camping, just go anyway and have a good time, then they'll all be jealous when you tell them about it. If you wait for other people it'll never happen.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

stevo. wrote: If you wait for other people it'll never happen.

I think it'll happen but it will take possibly a lot longer than if you make the decision to yourself this coming weekend.

Carpe diem......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 am

Well see we had a 'Family Camp' organised through our church and the vote was that it was too wet so we've postponed it to another date to be confirmed.

Big W sent me an email during the week about their Everyday Rewards program and if you activate the special offer via their email you get 500 bonus points if you spend over $50 on camping gear. So I'll be in for that offer today I think! :grin:
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:29 am

Scott S wrote:
Big W sent me an email during the week about their Everyday Rewards program and if you activate the special offer via their email you get 500 bonus points if you spend over $50 on camping gear. So I'll be in for that offer today I think! :grin:

Bugga....I did not get that offer....LOL. Happy shopping Scott.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:26 am

That's coz you're not in the "ingroup" GP :booty
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:13 pm

stevo. wrote:That's coz you're not in the "ingroup" GP :booty

Yeah, I know.....might have rectify that one.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:58 pm

I bought a Campmaster portable folding table ($60) & large hurricane lantern ($11) from Big W today. That was enough to get me the bonus reward points.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Scott S wrote:I bought a Campmaster portable folding table ($60) & large hurricane lantern ($11) from Big W today. That was enough to get me the bonus reward points.

Way to go Scott....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby cherish3 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Scott. Hoped you managed to go camping despite the cancellation. I agree with Gypsylady that you want ease your family into this or you will lose them. As is, it took me more than a year to accumulate quality camping gear and went for our first camping trip over our Vic labour day long weekend and spent 3 nites at Wilsons Prom. Hot shower and proper toilet. My wife and 7yo daughter enjoyed themselves thoroughly especially I put up a tarp tent on first day and was glad we did as it rained on the 3rd day. It was their first camping and my first time camping with a huge tent. My camping trips were usually sleeping under a hutchy. Now they both want to go again. Compared to my friend who took his new bride bush camping and that was first and last time.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers
Eric

Ps this is a great forum as it got me started more than a year ago planning for my trip and accumulating my gear.
cherish3
Boy Scout

Postby Scott S » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks, Eric. I'll keep that in mind. The hardest bit at the moment is the weather. We've had over 2m of rain since November 1 so it hasn't been very good camping weather. Hopefully we'll get a dry Autumn and Winter.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Gear Guide