Scored a Tinnie!!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: Scored a Tinnie!!

Postby stevo. » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 pm

If you can afford a depth sounder/ fish finder they're well worth it, even just for checking depth. (need a 12v battery to run it too)
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Woodsy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 pm

one day maybe, i want to keep it as light as possible, i was detailing a car on the water front today watching blokes fish in a similar boat to mine,i was jealous... lol
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 pm

new fish finder and small 12v battery is about $200, doesn't add too much weight, and is well worth it.

reduce weight by getting rid of the anchor, depending on where you go, .. in Qld the anchor is a recommendation not a requirement for the size of the boat in calm waters. I've never used the anchor when i had it, i just either drift or tie a rope to a tree. Having no passengers is the biggest weight reduction.
stevo.

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 pm

stevo. wrote: Having no passengers is the biggest weight reduction.

Oh Steve......does that mean you have just rescinded your invitation to go fishing????? I am very disappointed:-((
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:00 pm

I only want to get a small anchor just sand / mud around here, some bays are big enough just to float around in though
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 pm

GypsyLady wrote:
stevo. wrote: Having no passengers is the biggest weight reduction.

Oh Steve......does that mean you have just rescinded your invitation to go fishing????? I am very disappointed:-((

The invitation is still there GP, i didn't think anyone was that keen to come in the Silver Rocket.
stevo.

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:21 am

Atleast you wouldn't have to take an anchor then Stevo...lol

After I get back from our NZ trip I'm chucking Security and will have all the time in the world to fish...Infact,,,I have always maintained that some of the best fishing is in Winter.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:45 am

Are you retiring Rosco? Who will protect our Pineapples?
stevo.

Postby Woodsy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 am

Found a fella local on ebay selling some motors, fingers crossed.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby cokebottle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I have a tinne that I inheritted from my dad when he died 2 years ago.... just got to go get the trailer registered & bring it home from mum's :roll: it's a 12ft with 7.5hp mercury, I checked out the regs for NSW:

http://www.bia.org.au/boat-licences.html
When is a boating licence required?

It is important to know that it is neither the size of a vessel nor the power of an engine which determines whether a person needs to be licensed - it is the speed at which a boat is driven.

Except in the case of a PWC (jet ski etc ) any person who drives a mechanically propelled vessel on NSW waters at 10 knots or more must have a boat driver's licence.

Note: 10 knots is the speed at which an accelerating boat will start to plane - that is rise up and skim along on top of the water instead of ploughing through it.

When I was about 13 years old I got his old tinny to plane, throttle flat stick & it scared the crap out of me because I was the only one on board & the front shot straight up then came back down & planed :***

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:25 pm

That's wierd, so in NSW you could have a ski boat with a 351 in it and you can take it out and cruise around without a licence? ::()
stevo.

Postby cokebottle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 pm

stevo. wrote:That's wierd, so in NSW you could have a ski boat with a 351 in it and you can take it out and cruise around without a licence? ::()

That's what I was thinking too, I even double checked the info on the NSW gov website & it says the same!

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boat ... afety.html

I had better hurry up & get my boat on the water before they change the rules! the boat itself has to be registered & mum has kept that up to date, but the trailer has ran out & needs a bit of work, the wiring is stuffed, then I need to change the towing hitch from the old 40mm? to 50mm or swap my tow ball to the old size to tow it & then change back for my camping trailer... then I need to do some work on the motor as it has not been started for 5yrs so the impeller will be seized... one of these days :roll:

Michael
Last edited by cokebottle on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:52 pm

stevo. wrote:That's wierd, so in NSW you could have a ski boat with a 351 in it and you can take it out and cruise around without a licence? ::()

That would seem to be the case Stevo...providing you kept it at below 10knots....pretty strange, hey??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 pm

with this cooler weather i cant wait to get out there, get out on the water nice and early, thermos, bacon and egg roll and drop a line in.... sweeeettt
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:08 pm

WOW,,,,,All this boating / fishing talk reminded me that I had a fishing voucher to go deep sea fishing...
Well,,,,I have already had '1' extension on the date and it has expired again ,,,so...I popped over to Scarbourgh this a/n to see the guy....NO MORE EXTENSIONS....Avis is gunna kill me (cost her $180-) Hmmm

:-bang
Last edited by Rosco1 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat