ANOTHER newbie question

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

ANOTHER newbie question

Postby Lisa H1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 am

Hi there

We have recently bought a tent and finally had the courage to buy most of our basic needs to enable us to go camping for the Easter break. I just need a little help to complete the task.

What do you need to connect to a powered site? let me explain, we are from the UK and used to be seasoned trailer tenters, but since moving to Oz nearly 5 yrs ago we have never camped (always opted for the cabins!) but we are beginning to feel the urge to return to the camping lifestyle. In the UK in order to connect to a powered site you needed a special power cable and lots of extras, but not sure what you need here - please help!

Secondly, I am going to ask the age old question about beds! I have researched and researched and still can't come to a conclusion about beds and bedding. We want something that won't take too much car space, is comfortable, and reasonably cheap - what do you guys suggest? And would you go for sleeping bags, or just take our doonas?

We are planning on going to Pambula Beach for a week at Easter, and for part of the week my husband will be returning home and taking the car, leaving me with the kids - not sure if I'm excited or terrified!

Thanks in advance
Lisa and family
Lisa H1

Re: ANOTHER newbie question

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi Lisa and WELCOME to the Forum.

Can you give us some more details.....what items (lights, jug, fridge etc) do you want to run at the powered site?? Are you going to a caravan park or a campground??

Alternatively, you could ring the place where you are booked into and ask them what their requirements are for this.

Airbeds are about the cheapest and also for the most of it the nastiest. Self inflating mattresses are by far the best but they are also not cheap.

For the coming Easter I would run with Doonas....you can always add sleeping bags as time go on and this way it will be less expense up front.

Keep it as simple as possible initially.....the important thing is to get out there and camp......a lot of the rest of it will fall into place as you go.

Chatting with other campers and looking around the camping stores and camping shows will all add to your knowledge base too.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Most powered sites require a 15 amp lead,(Larger Earth return) the usual 10 amp stuff plugs into it.
Not overly expensive.
For bedding its as Gypsy suggested.
Mind you we have a $90 air bed that has stayed inflated for 10 days inflated doing a weight test.
Bedding can be as big or as small as your comfortable with.
Our best ever camping mattress was a Futon Mattress,big but Wow was it Comfortable.
Enjoy your time back to Earth.
Where are you planning to camp?
Welcome to the forum. :armsup
Gee now I need a beer :beer :beer :beer
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lisa H1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the response!

I would probably want to recharge batteries, phone and ipods via the electric hook up, but not sure what type of cable I would need to 'hook up', where can i get them from?

Beds - I decided to opt for stretchers, and for myself and my husband I bought some cheap inflatable mattresses to go along with stretchers - I figure the kids don't need as much comfort to sleep and went for stretcher alone, can always buy mattresses if needed later. Hopefully Doonas will be warm enough as not sure I want to fork out for sleeping bags just yet on top of everything else.

We will be going to NSW Sapphire coast - Pambula for Easter week.

Thanks
Lisa
Lisa H1

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Lisa H1 wrote:Hi Guys
Thanks for the response!
I would probably want to recharge batteries, phone and ipods via the electric hook up, but not sure what type of cable I would need to 'hook up', where can i get them from?

Under those circumstances you could probably manage with a 10amp lead and power board which you can purchase from any hardware store. If you had a camper trailer or caravan then you would definitely need a 15amp lead. It still might be a good idea to ring the campground and explain what you want to do and ask if they are happy enough with a 10amp lead.

Lisa H1 wrote:Beds - I decided to opt for stretchers, and for myself and my husband I bought some cheap inflatable mattresses to go along with stretchers - I figure the kids don't need as much comfort to sleep and went for stretcher alone, can always buy mattresses if needed later. Hopefully Doonas will be warm enough as not sure I want to fork out for sleeping bags just yet on top of everything else.

We will be going to NSW Sapphire coast - Pambula for Easter week.

Thanks
Lisa

Lisa.....I travel through the Outback in the winter months in a camper trailer.....I only ever use a doona. I don't imagine it will be that cold at Easter time but if you are concerned you could always pack some hot water bottles for the beds and a tracksuit to sleep in. You can also insulate on top of the air mattress too....an old blanket will work well

Your stretcher and air mattress should be fine...but make sure you take patches (just in case of puncture) and a pump to pump it up again if it deflates unexpectedly.

You can also buy thin foam mattress overlays to go on the stretchers for the kids or perhaps even those exercise mats which are pretty cheap from the cheapie stores like Crazy Clarks, Sam's Warehouse etc.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lisa H1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks Gypsy :cheers

Unfortunately this time round we are going to have do without the electricity as all the powered sites are full :(

I will run with the Doonas and see how we go. Having read all the problems people have experienced with the blow up mattresses, I decided to go for the self inflating ones, so hopefully they should be better, and not too expensive $40 from Rays Outdoors. The stretchers were a bargain at $35 each from SuperCheapAuto. :+ And as you can tell I have just found the smile/icons :?#

Lisa
Lisa H1

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:28 am

I doubt you'll really need power Lisa.....most CPs have a camp kitchen or laundry where you can charge up your phone/camera batteries etc if necessary.

Very pleased to hear you have purchased the self inflating mattress....definitely the way to go.

Now here is a little trick for you......when you open up the mattress.....lay it out in the sun with the valves open for as long as you can. You'll find that the warmth of the suns helps to reset the memory of the foam.

With the stretchers.....make sure there is something under the feet of them inside the tent so that you don't damage the floor.

Here's another little trick to re your esky/cooler....keep it in the shade and with good ventilation and you will find the ice will last longer.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 am

GypsyLady wrote:Ikeep it in the shade and with good ventilation and you will find the ice will last longer.

and get the beers icy cold before you leave home, so the ice last longer.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 pm

stevo. wrote:and get the beers icy cold before you leave home, so the ice last longer.

Get ALL the food and drinks icy cold before you leave home and the ice will last longer.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Drinks First and Second, take dry food. :***
Food in an Esky indeed! ::()

Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Titch2 wrote:Drinks First and Second, take dry food. :***
Food in an Esky indeed! ::()

Titch

Oh come now Titch....they are not dogs!!!!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lisa H1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks so much guys for you help. I feel much more confident now :armsup

AND the beers will be first in and then we will see how much room is left for food :?#

We will have to let you know how it all goes :cheers

Lisa
Lisa H1

Postby bonger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 pm

on the keeping things cool topic, before i bought my fridge i had a 70l esky. To keep ice from melting and eveything generally cool I would freeze some soft drink bottles with water and put them at the base of the esky add food drinks etc and then throw the ice all around. Keeps everything much cooler and lasts a very long time. worked really well on moreton island where access to further ice was limited. just a thought...
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:32 am

Lisa...The info you got from Titch is all correct but if I can add....
Reading the requirements for a camping ground a few days ago they were also requiring 15amp plug/cords but it is a requirement for tents and camp trailers to also have an isolating transformer (not often asked for now days).....And remember....Most camping grounds will not let you join ''2'' extn cords together....so make sure you buy a longer one....rather than a short one.

:cheers

:cheers :cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:41 am

WOOPS......Its a circt breaker they require.....but real;ly its the same thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camping & caravan area:

Spacious camp sites among trees and bushes. Please view our site map here.
Quiet powered sites along creek or paddock
Toilet / shower block with rainwater and borewater* options (showers running on 20c pieces)
Powered sites (15A outlets only, circuit breaker required for tents) Laundry with dish basins, washing machine & dryer
Fire drums (limited number, please reserve) can be provided. Dry firewood may be available at a low price**. As our supply is limited, we recommend to BYO firewood if you can (please no wood with nails or screws).
Quiet pets welcome, on leash only
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide