Campers to spend night at flooded Vic park

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Campers to spend night at flooded Vic park

Postby Woodsy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Got this from Ninemsn. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/flo ... ood-damage

More than 100 campers will have to spend another night at Wilsons Promontory as darkness set in, forcing helicopters to halt rescues from the flooded national park until morning.

About 400 campers, most of them high school students, were believed to be trapped by flash flooding and landslides on Tuesday night.

The Darby River bridge leading into the campsite at Tidal River was washed away after torrential rainfall in eastern Victoria.

Two helicopters worked to fly the campers out on Wednesday afternoon but about 130 people could not be rescued before nightfall.

Eddie Wright, group manager at Ambulance Victoria, said operations would resume at 8am (AEDT) on Thursday.

Police and Parks Victoria staff will spend the night with the remaining campers, he said.

Mr Wright said campers who cannot support themselves for another night would be rescued first, while emergency workers were ensuring that those staying on at the park - which received 370mm of rain overnight - are "safe and dry on high ground".

No injuries have been reported so far. One was person taken to hospital requiring treatment for an existing condition.

Dean Stewart, senior forecaster at the Bureau of Meteorology, said while Wilsons Prom would continue to see rain on Wednesday night, it would be less severe than Tuesday night's downpour.

"There is going to be some further passing showers overnight and during tomorrow but nowhere near the types of rainfall that we saw last night," he said.

On Tuesday night, Mallacoota, in the far eastern corner of the state, received 123mm of rain in just a few hours, and the only road into town was closed.

The State Emergency Service took about 100 calls for help from residents of Moe and Foster, where homes were inundated and roads cut by water.

At Fish Creek, residents of five homes were evacuated and taken to a relief centre at the local town hall.

Ten people had to be rescued from their cars after they tried to drive through floodwater.

An SES spokesman said the situation at Moe was clearing and crews were now keeping "a close eye" on the far east of Victoria after a major flood warning was issued for the Snowy River following torrential rains in NSW.

The SES has been door-knocking in towns such as Marlo, where the river flows into the sea, to make residents aware of the situation, the spokesman said.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Campers to spend night at flooded Vic park

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Glad I am not camping down there!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 pm

What a beautiful place to be stuck (Wilsons Prom)
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Gordon W » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Thats alot of rain. I wonder how dangerous it is there for them?

If I was on dry ground and in no immediate danger, It wouldn't bother me.

I hope everyone is alright.
Gordon W
Boy Scout

Return to General Chit-Chat