Hi all! Looking into buying a camping trailer or caravan!

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Hi all! Looking into buying a camping trailer or caravan!

Postby jakko2002 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:16 pm

as the topic suggests looking into buying a camping trailer, or caravan most likely being second hand. Theres my myself, my wife and our 1y.o boy what sorts are best and how much roughly? and is there anything i should look out for when buying? I wil be towing it with a 95 Holden Commodoore 3.8lt
cheers!!!
If you don't have fun camping, its your own fault!!
jakko2002
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:58 pm

It's a very generalised question that you've asked as you've covered a lot of models and makes by asking about BOTH camper trailers and caravans.

I think the best way to start is to ask how much you are willing to spend and how long you intend to use it for ... ie. once a month, once a year etc.

Your Dunnydore should be able to tow most vans but you will need to check the manufacturer's specs to find out what weight you can adequately pull.

Hope this starts narrowing things down for you.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:50 pm

we bought our first Camper Trailer last year and we spent far too much time looking into it that we basically confused ourselves. In the end we bought a second hand one from someone that used it and gave us all the tips we needed to get us rolling. I had a mountain of pamphlets and bookmarks on every aspect of CT. Once we bought it and used it I threw them all out.
Just ask: do you need space! Do you need powered sites. Are you venturing off the beaten track.
The one thing I was told to make sure on was Windows you can't have enough of them in a CT.
Once you are out there and it do start to think of extras and changes, which you can do with the new one!

Good Luck!
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:07 pm

Yes, there's so many different ways of putting a 'roof' over your head that you need to decide what's required/important (usually governed by the Mrs!)

Different styles could be summarised as follows (although each category has numerous versions to accomplish the same thing)

1. Tent (maybe you've got one?)
2. Camper trailer (tent on wheels)
3. Windup Camper (caravan with canvas walls and sleeping areas)
4. Caravan

Some Pros/cons of each would be as below. Everyone would have different views of this. Prices range wildly in each category... but I'll guess some indicitive ones, using a low 2nd hand price to a top-of-the-range new price)

1. ($100-$1000+)
- Cheap
- Don't need to tow anything (if your other holidaying requirements can be kept minimal)
- Need to put it up although tents these days are much simpler than of days gone by.
- easy to store at home
- need to consider bedding (blow up lilo's don't take up much room but some don't like sleeping on them)

2. ($3000-$50000)
- Lots of storage for junk
- Can have inbuilt kitchen facilities/fridges/12V power
- lot dearer than a tent
- can be suitable for serious off-road destinations
- two major classes of these, hard floor and soft floor.

3. ($6000-$40000+)
- Still sleeping under canvas
- easier to tow than a full sized van
- permanent inside table to sit at
- still got mod cons (fridge/sink/microwave)
- can have HWS/AC and even shower and toilet, but not many would option these.
- simple to setup
- need to be able to store it at home/etc. can fit under carports that full vans won't

4. ($5000-$150,000+)
- Most storage space
- most expensive to tow (fuel)
- hardest to tow (wind/weight/vision although you can get pop-tops and things like the Ecotourer that have lower travelling profiles)
- most mod cons (can have shower/dunny/AC/HWS)
- Needs to be pretty big to get more than one permanently made-up bed inside (can have bunks too)
- minimal set up required
- need somewhere to store it at home

In fact, as mentioned, there can be so many options it can be bewildering. The type of holidays you take and where combined with just how much luxury/convienence you desire probably governs what you should be looking at. Money doesn't grow on trees so that's always an overriding factor.

A 1yo might require some kind of cot to sleep in and those travel ones aren't exactly small. This will be a issue whether your in a tent or camper-trailer. In a wind-up camper you could turn one of the bed-ends into a cot quite easy. If you had a caravan without 2nd permanent bed setup, putting the young one down at night could be a pain unless you can put them to sleep in your bed and move them to the temp bed later at night when you want to retire.

Usually our biggest problem is the amount of clothes and stuff my wife takes, mostly for our sons. Not sure when it last snowed at the beach, but we'd have clothes suitable!

You don't mention if you've already got a tent, but on a recent week away I noticed a lot of people toteing huge amounts of junk with them. Seemed a common method to accomplish this was to tow a box trailer loaded to the brim with everything (including the tent) that wasn't tied down at home.

In summary... it all very complicated!

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:04 pm

That's thorough!

:armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Sorry if I seemed like an excited kid of late but I am so keen to get hold of my Camel Camper Trailer that I want to shout it out everywhere :***

Check out Camel Campers at http://www.camelgroup.com.au/ They make a fantastic camper trailer and the prices for what you get are the best, in my opinion, on the market.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:45 pm

derek wrote:Sorry if I seemed like an excited kid of late
Derek

Every thread ... :lol: ... good to see you changed the colour too ... looked like someone had a 'McChunder' on the CT that you showed everyone.

::()

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jakko2002 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 pm

thanks guys!!! i will probably be using the caravan/trailer for 3 or 4 years, looking at 2nd hand one. has anyone got some good websites where i can get 2nd hand ones from? we will be going to caravan parks not off the beaten track. also what are some common things i shouold look for when buying one?
cheers,
jakko2002
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Ebay is always worth a look. http://www.ebay.com.au/

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby jakko2002 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:39 pm

cheers derek!! also just had a look at your website awesome!!! never used a campoven b4 but looks easy and fun!!
jakko2002
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:00 pm

jakko2002 wrote:cheers derek!! also just had a look at your website awesome!!! never used a campoven b4 but looks easy and fun!!

Camping isnt camping without a camp oven. :+

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Return to Camper Trailers