School fundraiser - Camping!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

School fundraiser - Camping!

Postby padfoot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 am

The weekend just passed was my sons school fundraiser. They decided to do a campout on the school oval. It was a great night. We paid a flat fee and were fed and watered (BYO anything else you required).
We set up about 2pm. I ducked home and completed the housewifley duties after set up and then wandered back down about 4:30pm.
The tents were set up around the perimeter of the oval so that the kids could run wild in the middle. It seemed to work well. About 7pm was diner. A simple affair of meat, chicken and salad. A talent show went on about 8pm. A little kindy kid got up and made a hanky 'distappear'. And he did too! I still don't know how he did it!
Then bed time at 10:30pm. Up at dawn which must have really please the neighbours. Bacon and egg rolls for breakfast and pack up and home around 10am.
There were a couple of comments from people before the event they 'couldn't think of anything more boring' than camping at the school. I thought it was a great idea to raise some money for the school and have the kids play much later into the night than they would normally be allowed. There was also no undesirable ellement. I 'm not sure if word had not got around or the fact it's a fairly posh part of Sydney (although we do bring down the tone of the place nicely) but there was no noise at all after 10:30pm.
There was also a couple of families that said they were now planning to get out camping more often.
So that is my latest trip report! ha ha. I might have to try somewhere slightly further than my own street.

Have a good one everybody.
padfoot
Camping King

Re: School fundraiser - Camping!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

What a FANTASTIC idea.....LOVE, LOVE it. I'd like to see more schools do the same thing.....great way of raising money AND introducing kids to camping.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

What a great idea.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Val n Rob » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm

:+

What a great idea, lots of city kids don't get to go camping. When you are a kid it's almost magical to be up running around with others till 10.30 pm or so. Keep up the good work which ever school this is.

regards
Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Return to General Chit-Chat