Fraser Island Questions

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Fraser Island Questions

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post, it seems to be a great forum you all have here.

My wife and I are going to Queensland in October for approx 3 weeks, we will be in a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD and some friends traveling with us will have a Holden Commodore. I am hoping to go to Fraser Island but I've never been there before and have a few questions:

Anyway our friends in a Commodore can go on the island?

What's the nicest place to camp on the island?

Looking at the map there seems to be a few different spots to access the island by barge or ferry, what's the best one to take and is there much differences in prices.

What are the must see places on the island?

And finally, how many days would be enough on the island?

Thanks in anticipation. :)

Phil
Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Fraser Island

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 pm

Commodore will HAVE to stay on the mainland, so if you can't squeeze them in, they can hire a 4wd or go on a guided tour. Or walk! You will need at least 3 - 4 days bare minimum to get a brief look at some of the attractions on the island. Lake MacKenzie, Eli Creek, Central station, Maheno wreck and Champagne Pools are just a few of the beautiful spots that you shouldn't miss. Fuel is subsantially more expensive, so plan your trips to get the most in, as there are some great distances to be travelled. More fuel will be used when going through rough terrain or soft sand.
We have always camped at Dundubara, which is a fair way up the island, about 40kms from the barge drop off on the southern end of the island (Inskip end). I can't really comment on the other camping areas, but all the national park ones are fairly similar, and there is also the beach. Cathedral Beach is private ground and I have heard good things about it. There are a couple of barges at the Inskip end, they tend to compete so these are a bit cheaper than those at River Heads or Hervey Bay. Plus if you are coming from down south it is the most direct route, and you also get to go to Rainbow Beach, another nice spot. Another issue is there has been a few track closures on Fraser, so for up to date info check out http://www.epa.qld.gov.au and go to the parks and forests link. It is a beautiful spot, and is VERY popular, so try not to go on a long weekend or school holidays. Backpackers are everywhere most of the time, so be aware of their potential lack of skill navigating a toyota troupy with 11 backpackers on board, and all the gear on the roof! :?#
Have fun!! :grin:
Here's a more direct link to epa info http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park ... i?parkid=1
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:24 pm

Thanks for the tips gqpatrol, excellent information.
Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Fraser Island

Postby gqpatrol » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:25 pm

No worries, enjoy yourself! :beer
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Hi Phil

I have a GV as well and will be interested in how you go. What model do you have. Mine is the new Prestige with 2.7 V6 motor. I have been to Fraser a number of times in the past but in a Nissan Patrol and a Landrover.

On some of the inland tracks the wheel ruts can get a bit deep so beware of your ground clearance. One of the things us GV owners dont have a lot of. I have seen GV's running around up there there no problems.

Just one good tip ...... take a good snatch strap with you. People wont mind pulling you out of needed but dont so much like using their own straps.

This is the link to the EPA site. Make sure you read all of the information (check all the links) as there are a number of rules you need to be aware of, especially the one on Dingos. http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park ... i?parkid=1

This link is updated every two weeks with conditions on the Island. It also has the tides on it which is good as you need to travel on the half out to half in tides http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/ ... report.pdf

Let us all know how you go.

Regards

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:22 pm

derek wrote:Hi Phil

I have a GV as well and will be interested in how you go. What model do you have. Mine is the new Prestige with 2.7 V6 motor.
Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks for those links, my wife actually just purchased the car today, it's a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2002, 2.5 litre automatic.

We would love to have been able to afford the same model as yours, perhaps a few years down the track we can upgrade.

We are going to head to Goolwa on Saturday and take it for a beach run to the Murray Mouth, while not the most challenging trek for a 4WD it should give us a rough idea of it's capabilities. I haven't checked the tides yet but it can be slow going if the tide is up, but at low tide it's just a sprint along the beach. I'll definately grab a snatch strap and a air compressor for the trip.

Thanks again for the tips and links. :grin:

Phil
Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Just wondering what the cost is to get your 4x4 across?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Fraser Island

Postby gqpatrol » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 pm

Approx 12 months ago $75+ return no trailer from Inskip.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 am

That's better waht I ws exepcting. I wouldn't take the CT ... we'd just take a tent.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:17 pm

Fingerbone Bill wrote:We are going to head to Goolwa on Saturday and take it for a beach run to the Murray Mouth, while not the most challenging trek for a 4WD it should give us a rough idea of it's capabilities. I haven't checked the tides yet but it can be slow going if the tide is up, but at low tide it's just a sprint along the beach.
Phil

Went to Goolwa Beach and let the tyres down a bit then drove to the Murray Mouth with no problems at all, the tide was low which made it pretty easy. We went to Hindmarsh Island next for brekkie and it turned out they had a boat show on at the marina, after walking around the marina in the heat we decided to go back on the beach for a swim, this time we didn't let the tyres down because it was so easy the first time. On the leaving the beach after the swim my wife drove, unfortunately she tackled the sand dune section off the beach very slowly and we got stuck, after about 5 minutes and a bit of push from amused bystanders we reversed out and powered back of the beach this time with a man at the wheel. :grin:

We then took it down some rocky 4WD track in Deep Creek Conservation Park and had no problems at all, other than when navigating a steep section of the track with my wife saying "This was a bad idea can we go back?" She really does need to toughen up!

Overall we were really happy with Suzuki Grand Vitara. :?#

Here's a picture of the car at the Murray Mouth:

Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Return to General Chit-Chat