[Poll] Why don't people return to the forum?

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Why don't people return the forum?

I got the info i was after so no need to return
7%
I didn't get the info i was after so i'm leaving
No votes
I find the forum too hard to use
20%
I don't like the people on the forum
7%
I visit regularly but don't post much
60%
I'm shy
No votes
It's just boring
7%

Total votes : 15

Re: [Poll] Why don't people return to the forum?

Postby Dave-Yakka » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I may be way off track here, but here is my thoughts........
Camping isn’t something people can do every weekend regularly. like fishing, mowing the lawn :lol: etc..
so when it comes to trip reports, or questions that have arisen from their experience, its often a long time between posts, due to only camping 3 times a year (or what ever)
I'm all for going camping every weekend, i would love too, and so would the family, but its just not possible, with work, bills, LIFE etc...
I too am guilty of getting on, finding info and off i go, and when i can, or think i have something to say, I’ll post it up.

not sure..... rambling done,

Dave :armsup
Dave-Yakka
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Interesting the way you see the forum Dave....to me it is another communication tool which provides me the opportunity to chat about all things that friends like to chat about....shared day to day happenings etc not just camping.

If your theory is right, that would definitely explain why many members join and then disappear.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Val n Rob » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm

That is a really good point Dave. I suppose there must be quite a few people who do that. I myself like to keep up with whats going on in this forum and others, I belong to 3 others. Grey Nomads has quite a few commenters because most of them are full time travellers, as are some of the others on different sites. Maybe that shows I have time on my hands cause I like reading what everyones doing!!

Cheers Val :armsup
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:42 am

Been watching this one (sitting back quietly).....waiting to see if any-one else came up with my thoughts....and...no-one has yet.
On another forum which I am a moderator I noticed that a number of the ''oldies' started posting less & less....
Until one day one of them suggested to me to join them on ''Facebook''.....(which,,as it happened was a link on our site).....I had a look & found a whole paddock of them now on there grazing away,,yak,,,yak.
It seems that by offering an 'extra' service to our members...We were potentially cutting our own throats and sending them away to another sorse of keeping in touch...this time though...they could talk to each other one-on-one getting instant results and talking in ''privacy''....
HOW DO WE FIX THIS I THOUGHT.....????
Firstly we deleted Facebook as a link.....Secondly.....We started a ''talk back'' section on our own site....
This seems to be helping keep our ''newbies'' interested and staying with US.......The ones that have moved on still pop in from time to time.....say ''Gid-day''.....then move on again.
I don't think any Forum will ever keep every-one who signs up as a regular contributer....BUT ....Try and make it as interesting and humorous as possible and they will hopefully visit from time to time,,, just to keep in touch.
Gypsy is ''sorta'' on the right track when she mentions that to her....its a great place to catch-up on nearly anything...after-all....there is one thing we all have in common and that is camping.

:cheers :cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Rosco1 wrote:its a great place to catch-up on nearly anything...after-all....there is one thing we all have in common and that is camping.

Some of us have more than 'camping' in common too and that just adds to the fun.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm

OH YER ......TELL US MORE....HA HA.......Is there a little section we are missing out on ...ha ha :-bang :-bang :-bang

:beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Rosco1 wrote:OH YER ......TELL US MORE....HA HA.......Is there a little section we are missing out on ...ha ha

It's a secret Rosco and if I told ya....I'd have to kill ya.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I LUV IT WHEN YOU TALK....DIRTY...LOL :-bang :-bang :-bang
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Rosco1 wrote:I LUV IT WHEN YOU TALK....DIRTY...LOL

Good on ya.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 pm

Yep Rosco you are right, I for one love facebook with a family like mine spread all over the place it is a great way of keeping in touch..And Derek the camp oven king now has a facebook page to keep his wanders happy although his Cocia page still seems to have many members...Newer people come here to get advice and then they are off, where as us old campers are experts now and don`t come here other than to say we went camping and had a great time until next time we go camping.Though i do pop in 2/3 times a week but if nothing in particular is posted i don`t always reply.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby itchyvet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

As any astute forum follower could tell, it's been a while since I've visited.
Maybe I've been away enjoying my outdoors experiences ? :grin: You never know.
Seriously, I didn't click on any of the options above because NONE of them related to my case.
I'm a camper from way back, and experienced CT user as well, though there's always something one can pick up, YOU CAN teach an old dog something new, they've just got to be receptive.
That's why I pop in occasionaly to check out if there's any mind boggling new revelations that I've not heard of. :beer
Also, the fact I live in W.A. and there are not too many West Aussies on here, means there's limited info available at the best of times.
BUT, hey, this is NOT a complaint, OK, just an onservation.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:02 pm

We used to have a few members from WA itchyvet but they seemed to have disappeared......real shame because we do have questions from newbies that only a WA member could answer.

Would be very good to have regulars from every state.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat