GPS MAP 62s

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

GPS MAP 62s

Postby stevo. » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:35 pm

yes, more geekin stuff.

The new Garmin GPS MAP 62s arrived, with the AU Topo maps aswell (there's a package deal at Appleseeds). This has Birdseye view, so you can download satilite images and load them on the gps, so it's like looking at Googleearth on the gps screen. Has heaps of other cool stuff. You can use it for car navigation / streets etc, marine, hiking, 4wding etc, so that all blows my old Etrex gps away.

I've transfered all my old waypoints and tracks over from the old Etrex so it's all compatible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: GPS MAP 62s

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:19 am

Stevo....I would be keen to hear if it works in the middle of the city....
My GPS has the latest download BUT...still gets very lost when I use it in Brisbane city....

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 pm

What GPS do you have?

My old Etrex was pretty crap for reception, if there was too many trees it'd lose reception. This one picks it up very fast everywhere i have used it so far. I also have a "GPS reciever" (small round thing) that i plug in to the laptop and that's awesome for reception.

I had it going all weekend and have some interesting tracks overlaid on Satilite images (Birdseye software).. so once i work out how to do some screen shots of that i'll post them up.

When we were driving the boat around in the Bribie Passage we got caught up in the shallows and thought we were stuck because the tide was going out pretty quick, the GPS saved us, we navigated the sand banks via the GPS sat images... i thought that was bloody awesome.
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm

got the first dodgy pic from the GPS, blue track is Saturday, Yellow track is Sunday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevo.

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:21 am

Stevo...My GPS is a ''VOX TRACK''....Was one of the better ones you could buy a few years back(like..5yrs ago)
and can be 'updated' on line ($99- each time).....
Ha....paid $750- for it back in those days....boy have they come down in price since those days.

Had it updated to the latest available about 3...4 months ago BUT...they did say that for around QLD...it will not really be updated until around 2013 because of all the road works etc going on.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 am

Sounds fancy Rosco, it's pretty good that it's still supported, they must have quite a few out there then. They probably have a few models that use the same software/system then.
stevo.

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 am

From what I'm told....They all use the same satelite upstairs for their information....

:cheers
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide