Taking the plunge into camping: Cape Hillsborough N.P.

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Taking the plunge into camping: Cape Hillsborough N.P.

Postby Scott S » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:55 am

So we've finally got some fine weather and I've got the weekend off over the May long weekend. My wife, 5 year old son & I are planning a trek to Cape Hillsborough National Park. At 100km from home it's not much of a trek, but it'll be a nice start!

Anyway, I'd just like to hear from anyone who may have camped there before. Does anyone have a GPS waypoint for the actual camping grounds in the N.P.?

Any other tips or suggestions on this camping spot or general camping tips for a family-camping first timer would be great! (i.e. keeping everyone entertained so they'll want to camp again!)
Scott S
Boy Scout

Re: Taking the plunge into camping: Cape Hillsborough N.P.

Postby stevo. » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Out of interest i had a look around for the NP camping area on Googleearth but can't see it. If i knew where the camping area was i could give you a GPS waypoint.

Tips? as long as they are comfortable and kept busy it might go well? So a few creature comforts and a few activities? What goes on a this place, is it bush walking and stuff like that?

Take cameras, binoculars, bird watching field guides so you can all sit there and try to find what the birds are called? That can be interesting? Take a reptile field guide also, you may see lizards and snakes that can also be fun to idenify different things, that also shows your son what he should be staying away from and why. It all depends what level of activities you're in to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Scott S » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 pm

I've since discovered there's two camping areas. There's the DERM grounds at Smally's Beach http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/cape-hillsborough/camping.html and then there's the Cape Hillsborough Nature Resort http://www.capehillsboroughresort.com.au/index.htm. They're both near the water, but the resort has more facilities & might just be a little easier as a first time family camping trip.

If you look on the map you uploaded, the resort is east of Wedge Island. You might see a little white dot just in from the beach which runs north-east. Well that dot is a building at the resort. Powered sites are $36/night for 2 adults & 1 kid.

We're looking forward to it.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby Scott S » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 am

So we're back from our maiden trip. A great time was had by all. The Cape Hillsborough Nature Resort is a wonderful place. It's got about 90 sites ranging from non-powered, powered, slab, no slab, and even cabins. Amenities were good. A great pool. TV room, Internet, basketball hoop, walking trails, plenty of BBQs & a well stocked & reasonable priced shop, and all this so close to the beach that you can hear the waves at night!

We wrote down a few things that we'll need to get for next time. Nothing major, just some creature comforts & practical things we didn't think of like a longer extension cord, broom, more food containers, etc. But best of all, we're booked in for a return during the June/July school holidays!

I'll add a photo soon.
Scott S
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 03, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Scott...we love pics.

Glad it was such a success camp for you.....always a good feeling.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Scott S » Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Scott S
Boy Scout

Return to Camping Tips and Locations