OzTrail Breezeway tent thoughts

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

OzTrail Breezeway tent thoughts

Postby davem » Tue May 03, 2011 8:07 am

Hi all.

I have found this site while looking for a small family tent. Over the years I have done plenty of camping but almost exclusively with hiking tents - my favourite is my WE 2nd Arrow which unfortunately doesnt get as much use as I would like....

Now that I have 2 young kids I would like to do some more family style camping. We did one night earlier crammed into my largest 2-man hiker to give them a taste and fortunately it was positive despite being packed like sardines LOL

I am looking for a tent large enough for 2 adults and 2 kids yet compact to enjoy the benfits of a small tent size -the small packed size/weight is actually a requirement for various reasons.

After looking around, I really like the look of the Breezeway 4 and family 4 which is just a little larger. They pack small, are comparitively light and comparitively cheap but to me the most appealing feature is the venting design. I *really* appreciate the value of ventilation in tents.

Given the $, I dont expect the worlds best made nor the strongest tent but I really only envisage this as a (sometimes) car-based weekender. I really cant see us using it for weeks on end.

Before I go and plonk some $ down on one, does anyone have any experience with them ? Any show stoppers ? positives ?

cheers
davem

Re: OzTrail Breezeway tent thoughts

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. I personally don't know the tent you mention and wonder if you'd like to provide us with a link to it.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby davem » Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Here is a link for the smaller one - http://www.oztrail.com.au/WebPage.gtl?P ... up=CLASSIC

The other one is the Family model or I guess even the 6-man.

cheers
davem

Postby Dave-Yakka » Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Welcome DaveM,
I camp with my family, my wife, an 8yr old and 14month old. We have a 6 person dome tent similar to the "breezeway family" but the front section is not floored and all 6 sleep in the main tent area.
The weight is a little more than the 7.5kg states in the breezeway, we find this tent is nice and roomy, not to squeezy and just right (as long stretcher beds aren't used). I would hate to down size into a 4 person.
i also have no real experience in the tent you are looking at, but my 2cents.... go with what you like.
a tent is a tent, if you all fit nicely in it, and it has the ventilation your after, why not.....
Choosing a tent in my mind is about room, rather than features, if i wanted features i'd be buying a CT :lol:

not sure if that helped you at all DaveM......

Cheers - Dave
Dave-Yakka
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Oztrail is a pretty good brand of tent. If the price is right and it suits your particular needs than I say 'go for it'.....

Can't say I can remember seeing or hearing anything specifically negative about Oztrail tents.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby spinyeel » Tue May 03, 2011 6:26 pm

I was given an Oztrail Breezaway 4 tent and found it a pita to pitch,especially if it was windy. :x I can pitch a 12x15 canvas cabin tent quicker and know it would be a lot stronger. :)
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby davem » Wed May 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks Mr SpinyEel

That is exactly the feedback I wanted to hear...well you know what I mean.

It's not a showstopper but definitely a concern and consideration.

Anything else bug you with it ? Anything you particularly liked ?

Cheers
davem

Postby spinyeel » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

I am a big fan of canvas. If you look after it,it will last a long time. The Breezway just seemed flimsy and the no see-um mesh looks like it would tear easily.It had several patches on it,although it had only been used half a dozen times :shock: The plastic clips that attach the tent to the poles were also a worry and some of the stitching was poor. I definitely wouldn't want to spend time in this tent during stormy weather. :) Wouldn't buy a new one,that's for sure.
spinyeel
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide