Tent catches fire at campsite

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Tent catches fire at campsite

Postby padfoot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am

My partner has an issue with gas bottles in general. I always had a bit of a scoff and eye roll but always try and find a battery alternative for lighting and use the smaller butane gas cookers for cooking. No more scoffing or eye rolling for me.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/tent-catches- ... 1ba9j.html

My thoughts are with them.
padfoot
Camping King

Re: Tent catches fire at campsite

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 am

People so often underestimate the chance of accidents.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 am

I saw that on the early news.....Very sad but also a very good reminder for everyone to check their gas bottle connections regularly......
Check for visable signs on hose connections then pour soapy water over the area and look for any sign of bubbles.........
Remember that gas (lpg) bottles rust from the 'inside out'...so visable signs of a bottle in poor condition may not always be visable....hense the '10yr' life stamp on the bottle.
Nowdays its cheaper to throw it away rather than take it in for re-testing.(there is an area at most rubbish dumps for receiving them)
Also remember that....The tread tape used on LPG bottles is NOT the WHITE tape...its the YELLOW one...made especially for gas/LPG products.

Stay safe.......
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Bradd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:28 pm

The gas bottle was knocked over and ignited by the campfire

Is it just me or does that seem like a stupid place to have a gas bottle (next to camp fire) .....
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 am

Bradd wrote:
The gas bottle was knocked over and ignited by the campfire

Is it just me or does that seem like a stupid place to have a gas bottle (next to camp fire) .....

You think!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:53 pm

well they didn't say what kind of gas bottle, just said a little one with a light attachment on top? I think it's a bit unusual that a gas bottle would explode. The normal gas bottles that you get refilled are pretty hardcore/safe. I've seen a few with loose fittings that catch fire and go for a while and you just turn them off. I think they are deisgned not to explode, at worst they would shoot flames out the top nozzle.

But i'm not expert, maybe they had some kind of cheap gas bottle or metho container light thing.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Woodsy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Hmm i would say maybe a butane type bottle? Sad to see that happen.

Safety has to be a big thing when camping, cant under estimate it.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby itchyvet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Many years ago, during my infantry training at Ingelburn, witnessed a tent fire.
Now let me say, tents in those days were a little different from today, the canvas was much thicker then today and majority had an inner, and an outer fly BOTH made from same material, also walls were same material.
This tent was a 10 foot by 10 foot tent designed for four persons and all their junk.
Up until the time this ten went up, I was quiet amused by all the fire fighting stuff stored around and along the tent lines, buckets of sand, things looking like a mop, fire hoses every 100 feet or so.
Well, when she went up,(still dunno why she went up in the first place) it took a matter of about 1 1/2 minutes to fully burn and then it was all over.
So incredibly quick, you would'nt believe it, have to witness it to believe it, how fast a tent will burn.
So YES, treat your tent as a NUMBER ONE FIRE HAZARD at all times.
I would suggest using gas powered lanterns anywhere near a tent, as asking for trouble, there's good electric powered LED lighting available today, and they have not yet burnt down anything.
Regards the gas lit lamp near the fire, :cry: Yep, been guilty of that one myself, but I guess the secret words are; 'near the fire'. What does 'near' mean ?
I would consider 20 to thirty feet away from a fire reasonable, also in our case, I usually place it behind my chair, so if it's going to catch fire, it'll do so after I'm burnt to a crisp.
Of course it goes without saying too, keep your camping equipment in top condition, especially if using lpg appliances, and TEACH YOUR KIDS TO RESPECT THEM TOO .
However, the main factor is your canvas tent, NEVER allow your diligence to disregard it is potential fire bomb if ignited, and it CAN be ignited by various means including your good old ordinary sparks from your fire, an electrical short could also ignite things, so ALWAYS be diligent when camping.
I know thats sometimes difficult whe down a half a dozen cold ones and trying to relax, but what's the alternative ?
In the case reported on this site, I suspect the media were over playing things by claiming the cylinder blew up. Photos I saw of the incident, established it was an ordinary lpg cylinder, such cylinders are fitted with safety device that melts when certain temperature is reached and vents the gas to atmosphere, thus avoiding an explosion. YES, it will mean an incredible flame like a large blow torch, but the explosion will be avoided. Here in the West, we saw many such cylinders after bush fires went thru, NONE of them blew up, but everyone of them, had blown their safety device and vented.
Don't know what facility is instaled in the throw away type gas canisters, but I'd hazard to say, there'd be something similar.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Woodsy » Thu May 05, 2011 9:18 pm

On Ninemsn it says that this was possibly an electrical fault
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Woodsy wrote:On Ninemsn it says that this was possibly an electrical fault

Think you might have the NSW tragedy mixed up with the latest WA one Josh.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Fri May 06, 2011 12:08 am

Ah so i do, sorry.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Return to General Chit-Chat