QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Re: QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby karrynmac » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 pm

AHEM.....
Me again, RayRod007 and Kat05, I'm hearing you! The airhorns from the bus - we had that too, and if it's the same bus and was somewhere around the office vicinity, you may find - as we did - that it was the caretaker or his son..... nice huh!
The amenities block and the lack of cleaning - well the bucket and mop are for the more conscientious campers to use in lieu of the caretaker, however every camp ground we go to the caretakers clean at night or early morn..... and back to the rudeness, yes, no matter how much anyone here tries to justify their behaviour, it is not, and never will be, accepted as the norm. The people are just horrible and shouldn't be in that position - we would go back if they weren't there, but not while they're in charge. :$ :bunny
karrynmac

Postby ScottyB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 pm

karrynmac wrote:and back to the rudeness, yes, no matter how much anyone here tries to justify their behaviour, it is not, and never will be, accepted as the norm.

Since this one is apparently directed at me .... can I just say .... I am not trying to "justify" anybody's behaviour .... I am merely attempting to provide some balanced perspective to the thousands of potential campers that may read this thread and perhaps miss out on what to us was a very good camp ground.

I deal with the worst of human kind daily, I chase crooks for a living. As a consequence you could say I am reasonably thick skinned, fairly tolerant but don't suffer fools, and have a particularly dark sense of humour. I also learn that all people are different and each to their own provided they are not hurting anyone else. I don't expect a lot from other people and therefore am not often disappointed when thats what happens.

But I also do respect a persons freedom and their right to enjoy the space around them without interference or intrusion. In my experience I found that all of the other campers there did the same, perhaps the rules and "management style" ensured this, perhaps not.

Yes the managers of Flanagans are perhaps somewhat socially challenged, but I didn't have a problem at Flanagans Reserve .... and neither did the other groups camping there I spoke to .... most of whom have been going there for years. As for the managements, I kept out of their way, and they never got in mine. I read the rules I was issued on entering the park and I made sure we strictly adhered to those rules.

You could say I respected their place, and they respected my space. I was there after all to "get away" from it all. :beer

And thats all I am trying to say. Nobody is right or wrong in this instance, but the very reason for this thread was to invite comment from ALL people who have visited the location, both the good and the bad. Please respect my right to do that as I have respected yours.

Cheers. :cheers
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby karrynmac » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 pm

:hello:

Sorry - wasn't pointing fingers, was referring to the managers' reply to the email as well as anyone who generally finds them okay. Hey I don't care anymore, it was a lifetime ago now, never been back, moving out west to Pittsworth to give our children a fair crack at being normal, so will be hitting Coolmunda more often I'd imagine.
::)
KarrynAND I DON'T LIKE UPSETTING PEOPLE WHO WEAR GUNS FOR A LIVING, lol!!!
karrynmac

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 pm

karrynmac wrote:KarrynAND I DON'T LIKE UPSETTING PEOPLE WHO WEAR GUNS FOR A LIVING, lol!!!

Its not the ones who wear them for a living you should be worried about. :armsup

Its all good .... like I said I can understand people having dramas at Flanagans .... I am no prude believe me .... I can party with the best of ya's but Flanagans is not where I would go if I was going to let rip.

My perspective on Flanagans was based on perhaps someone looking for a quiet place where you can safely take the kids and the dog, not be hassled by anyone, and not blow the budget. It was very good for us in that respect and I am happy to recommend it for that reason.

The only time I ever really talk to the managers though is on my way in to the joint and to thank them on my way out. I just chill out for a few days and dont really worry too much about what is happening around me. Its a pleasant change. ;)
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Franzy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:59 pm

Just got back from 10 days of camping in the area. Stayed at Flanigans for three nights. First night there was 3 camps set up. Following night we were by our selves,so nice and quiet. Got joined by another couple of campers on the last night,so it was not very busy as it was during the week. Had a wonderful time. Showers cost 20 cents for 1 minute of water now,so quick showers were the go. Didn't buy any firewood,as had our own, so don't know what it cost. Current managers seem friendly enough,though did't see much of them. Willing to go again in the future if we get the chance.
Work always gets in the way of camping. :)
Franzy
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:57 am

Good to hear things may have improved at Flanagans.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby doakley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:00 am

We just returned from a week at Flanagan Reserve. Had a wonderful time. The managers are lovely! The grounds great - not a prickle the entire week! :+

Very large area so not toooo close to anyone. You can have a fire - wood is $10 a barrow.

We had a great time and are planning on returning soon.

I will post some piccies soon.
doakley
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 am

The management has changed again, Gerard is back and he was always popular & easy to deal with.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mojo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 am

I posted these Flanagan's pics in another thread, but I guess they should really go here ... :)

Our campsite:

The creek/rapids:

The water hole:

If you into bushwalking, Mt Barney is close:

Cheers

Sean
mojo
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Always good to have backup
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby dea » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:57 pm

we are thinking of going to flanagons in next few weeks , looks lovely ....
dea
Camping Oracle

Postby doakley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Here are some photos of our trip to Flanagan Reserve.
January 045.jpg

January 020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doakley
Boy Scout

Postby marcus » Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Hello
my family and freinds are going to this place for queens birthday hope it will be nice,Aswell lookin forward for the time away from home and work :?#
marcus

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Expect it to be busy during a long weekend Marcus.....it is a very popular place.

Make sure you have change for the showers too though I think they probably have some at the office.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby partymardi » Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 am

Just spent the Labour day weekend there with 4 other families, and a great time was had by all.

The creek was really full, but freezing, though that did not stop half the group getting in and giving the rope swing a go.
We also did the lower portals walk which was a 7.4km long ( classed mod/steep) only the 5yr olds and unfit adults had any difficulty in doing it, but the creek at the end was beautiful.

The campground was busy, the managers had put in a group of 6 porta loos for the weekend which made it a lot easier. We also took our own shower, which is recommended as it does get very busy at the main ones.
Please note that there is no water supply in the campground except at the amenities block, so a large water container is really necessary.

They do supply wood to sell, but it is offcuts from a timber yard, and burns very quickly without a lot of heat, so if you can get your hands on a couple of hard wood logs( keep them less than 500mm long) you will get a much more effective fire.

Great bush camp, and there did not seem to be any problems with the managers :grin:
partymardi

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland