Last camp for some time

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Last camp for some time

Postby bonger » Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 am

Hey all

Heading out camping to Mt Barney lodge this weekend. Never been but have heard good things. Baby number two is due soon so this will be our last camp for the foreseeable future.

Have scored myself some UPS batteries from a mate, to run my LED strip lights courtesy of dealextreme.com. so the deep cycle only needs to run the fridge which is good.

We were at Ewingar last weekend and it got down to -1 at around 5.10am so should be nice and chilly!

saw this on the Great South East on the weekend just past about whats going on in the area this weekend.

http://www.greatsoutheast.com.au/gsec2c ... oryID=3849

Cheers
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Re: Last camp for some time

Postby Val n Rob » Tue May 17, 2011 5:31 pm

hi Bonger, just wondering how your LED strip lights go, we are thinking of buying some. Where did you buy them pls. Thanks

Oh derrrrr, just saw where you got them from !!!!
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue May 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I have an LED strip light in my CT which I got from Jaycar Val. I have had it inside the CT for for 4 years and a couple of the globes are now not functioning but otherwise it works well enough. LEDs have come a long way in the last 4 years though.

I have also purchased many LED lights for the interior of my vehicle from Jamie at DSS http://www.dynamicsolarsolutions.com.au/ Can really recommend him, he is definitely one of the more knowledgeable guys within the industry.

Jamie has the really good quality LEDs and no, not all LEDs are of equal quality.

Forgot to mention that friends who have a caravan have replaced all their interior lights with LEDs from Jamie as well.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am

HI Val & Rob

Cant go past these for the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12v-75-led ... 50cm-11303

If you select the free shipping they will arrive via snail mail. Pay a few more dollars and get it shipped very quick.

I now have 4 sets of these. Two run off switches that go to the inside of the camper so can do a quick flick on and off to check the baby at night and the other two light up my kitchen area. Very Very bright. I could probably do with only 1 in the kitchen area but they draw bugga all power so i thought why not. :lol:
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Val n Rob » Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for that very much. We are looking to changing our lighting system to LED, and we wondering how these strip lights go. The ones we have now inside are very bright, with a smaller one in the back area of the van. Want to put the strips outside in the awning.

Cheers, Val and Rob
Last edited by Val n Rob on Wed May 18, 2011 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Val n Rob » Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 am

GypsyLady wrote:I have an LED strip light in my CT which I got from Jaycar Val. I have had it inside the CT for for 4 years and a couple of the globes are now not functioning but otherwise it works well enough. LEDs have come a long way in the last 4 years though.

I have also purchased many LED lights for the interior of my vehicle from Jamie at DSS http://www.dynamicsolarsolutions.com.au/ Can really recommend him, he is definitely one of the more knowledgeable guys within the industry.

Jamie has the really good quality LEDs and no, not all LEDs are of equal quality.

Forgot to mention that friends who have a caravan have replaced all their interior lights with LEDs from Jamie as well.

Thanks for that Gypsy, we are looking to changing our lighting to LED with strip lights outside.

cheers Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Val, if you already have exterior lights on the van it might be cheaper to do replacement LED bulbs as opposed to the strip lighting.

Have a think about that as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Tue May 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Val & Rob

I have thrown in a pic of my strip lighting, as you can see very bright and very effcient. You can see my little UPS battery in the background powering it.

Dealextreme also do LED bulbs. A friend of mine has them throughout his Jayco poptop and has had then running now for 6 months without failure. In my opinion I think that people should source there own lighting direct from China/Hong Kong etc where all LED lighting comes from without having to pay someone locally that is more expensive and has sourced the lights from the same types of places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonger
Camping King

Postby Val n Rob » Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks for that pic, my hubby is quite keen on getting those lights, we have two round LED'S inside van which are good. Just need to get the outside brightened up. Thanks again, Val and Rob
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Val......No-one has mentioned that these 'strips' of lights can be joined to make a continious lenght....
We have joined '2' together x 2 for our living area.....1 over the kitchen area and 1 halfway along the living area...
My next move is to put 2 more in the bed / changing area in our camper trailer......
They seem to do the job....and very little drain on the battery.
I also forgot to mention.....We glued them onto ''Velcro''....and attached them to the roof poles....this makes them easy to just peel apart to put away while travelling.

:cheers :cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Val n Rob » Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Hello Rosco, enjoyed your trip I see. I haven't been back for a while.
Thanks for the info on strip lights, Rob is quite keen to get some. Are yours wired to a battery just for lights and accessories or the main battery? We like the idea of them not using much power.
thanks, Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Val n Rob » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 pm

:armsup

We now have 1 strip light attached to the side of the van. Light from them is fantastic! Going to get 2 more strips and we will have excellent lighting outside. Helps a lot when cooking on the the fire at night. Our old friend here has a 4 m string in the annexe of his van and it lights up like George St Sydney!! love them.

Thanks all for you input

Val and Rob ::) ::)
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorry Val....I never saw your question above.....I added a battery on the side of the camp trailer that keeps charged with the help of a small solar panel....wires through into the inside where I have a multibox to run small ''recharge-ables', like phones,shaver,computer ctv etc.....There is one 12v empty plug left for plugging the lighting into at nite times....The lights use VERY little power.
If the battery is being over used at times...I simply hook it up to the patrol and run for about 7--10 minutes which fully recharges it.

Hey....Yes we did enjoy our our trip but, as is usual......it was a week to short :(

Hope the nites arn't to cold for you out there & your enjoying your camp.

:cheers :cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Val n Rob » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:34 pm

[quote="Rosco1"]Sorry Val....I never saw your question above.....I added a battery on the side of the camp trailer that keeps charged with the help of a small solar panel....wires through into the inside where I have a multibox to run small ''recharge-ables', like phones,shaver,computer ctv etc.....There is one 12v empty plug left for plugging the lighting into at nite times....The lights use VERY little power.
If the battery is being over used at times...I simply hook it up to the patrol and run for about 7--10 minutes which fully recharges it.

Rosco, i am not very savvy to all this stuff. I am wondering what a multibox is.....I tried running my laptop on a 150 inverter and the mouse went haywire, i couldn't make it go where i wanted. Is there something else I need to have????? I have already blown up one hard drive!! don't want it to happen again. Atm I run off the 250v provided by our Honda Gennie. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Val n Rob wrote: Atm I run off the 250v provided by our Honda Gennie. Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Val

Ahrrr....that'd be 240 volt Val and I presume your Honda Gennie is an 'EUI' series and if that is the case you do not need an inverter.

I am not sure what the current draw is of your laptop but imagine you would need more than a 150 watt inverter. I have a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter which I use to run my laptop...operative phrase here is the pure sine wave. I personally would not trust anything less in inverters when it comes to the running of my laptop.

Do not and I stress DO NOT.....use a modified sine wave inverter for running your laptop.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat