camping trailer

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:52 pm

I have pretty much picked out my camp trailer but have one more dilemma. Should I go with a trailer that has brakes? And is it best to get a Gal trailer? Any tips and hints would be great :(
Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:15 pm

Going 4x4ing? if not i would still suggest over rider style brakes. you may just need that extra bit of braking power and chances are its going to be at low speed in a residential area more than any where and over rider brakes would be fine for this type of situation. Going 4x4ing then most definately get brakes - dont even think about a trailer with no brakes!!

As for Gal trailer or not well...

HD galvanizing is the best
Duragal (aka Supagal or Allgal) is still good it means the steel is pre galvanized. This means that all your cuts or any grinding etc will not be protected by the galvanizing - BUT most manufacturers will treat any areas like this with a product called "cold gal" basically just as good at rust proofing.

The other good coating system is a 2 coat 2 pac paint system. But I've yet to see a manufacturer list that on their specs...

I guess wether you need this or not depends on - where do you plan on travelling - is it salty. Do you live in a costal area? how long do you intend on keeping the trailer? how much maintenance do you want to do?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Wow you sound like you know trailers komodo! We would only pretty much be on road so no 4x4. If I couldn't buy a trailer with that braking system already on it, where would I look to have them installed and roughly how much do you think it would cost?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:10 am

I would go for brakes on a trailer, especially if your towing with a small car, they are quite inexpensive to get put on or if your handy with tools its easy to put them on yourself, you will need another stub axle which has the brackets for the disc caliper, plus a new hub which has the disc on it (I know that the hubs are under $100 ea from super cheap shop around you can get them cheaper), then you will need the over rider trailer hitch. Some wire rope to finish the job and its done, an easy weekend with some beer and its all done. I had to do this to a boat trailer the other day :grin: So its not that hard and I didn't take my own tools over so we were limited in what spanners we had but we got it done easily enough :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi, I’ve been quoted $550 on over ride breaks and $880 on electric brakes. Does anyone know if this sounds right? It’s probably worth paying the extra for the electric brakes I guess........?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:32 pm

IMO for $330 its probably worth getting the electric over the over rider brakes - BUT this means that a controller will have to be fitted to each vehicle which tows the camper trailer. Not such a bad thing - except if you want to loan the trailer - or if you change vehicles you'll either need to be handy or pay an auto elec to transfer it.

As for knowing my trailers - well not really I just know my steel

I'm production manager for a structural steel fabricator and before that I was a structural steel draftsman (i worked on some high profile jobs such as spencer st station and fed square. not to mention Adelaide law courts, and perth exhibition and convention centre)
I'm also third generation in the steel industry in our family and about the 6th generation in the building industry and before that we were into ship building ;)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Camel Campers

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:28 pm

I have mentioned it before in another post but in two weeks time I am driving to Brisbane to pick up my new Camel Camper. I have looked at a lot of them over the years and this one to me is just spot on.

I have opted for an extended tent section taking it to 13 feet. The photo below shows how mine will look however mine will be green. It will come with a full annex as well plus a host of options.

Check them out at http://www.camelgroup.com.au/default.asp

Derek

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 pm

RYAINS wrote:Hi, I’ve been quoted $550 on over ride breaks and $880 on electric brakes. Does anyone know if this sounds right? It’s probably worth paying the extra for the electric brakes I guess........?

All dealers are different I know but Camel charge $650 for electric brakes. Thats without the controller.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 pm

That sure looks like a nice CT Derek. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it set you back for the camel trailer with the extended 3 foot?

I’m set on a few things with the CT I want like: I want it to be at least 12 - 13 foot long (plenty of room for the kids and baggage) I want a good quality canvas, I’d like nice high sides, I’d like all the walls for the annexe,
I’d like a water tank underneath with tap (but it's not a necessity) - I’d like a Gal trailer too. I’d really just love a good quality CT with brakes most of all for around $7-$8000 would be great. The thing is where to get one like that for the sort of money I want to spend.

most of the really good priced ones seem to be in Qld and Vic.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 am

RYAINS wrote:That sure looks like a nice CT Derek. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it set you back for the camel trailer with the extended 3 foot?

I’m set on a few things with the CT I want like: I want it to be at least 12 - 13 foot long (plenty of room for the kids and baggage) I want a good quality canvas, I’d like nice high sides, I’d like all the walls for the annexe,
I’d like a water tank underneath with tap (but it's not a necessity) - I’d like a Gal trailer too. I’d really just love a good quality CT with brakes most of all for around $7-$8000 would be great. The thing is where to get one like that for the sort of money I want to spend.

most of the really good priced ones seem to be in Qld and Vic.

Hi

One good thing also that I like about Camel Campers is that ALL PRICES are on their website. Nothing is left to guessing.

Check out the website at http://www.camelgroup.com.au/ for all prices including option prices.

Mine is the Nomad Onroad Model with upgraded offroad suspension. There is even a price calculator that adds it all up as you select options. The basic onroad model with gal trailer and the extended tent will set you back $7420.00. Offroad model $8120.00. Add rego to both of them.

Email me at derek@aussiecampovencook.com if you want to know more and I will be happy to assist.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi, what is hammertone enamel paint? Is this stuff any good even? I know nothing beats a Gal trailer but will this hammertone stuff rust in like a year or two? Or does it last for a long time and protect the trailer from rust? I’m very much a scholar in this stuff..... NOT! So any info and tips and advice are much appreciated. :(
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Not sure on the specs but know what it looks and feels like. It's used on bull bars and roof racks. Looks kinda like a rough finish.

The Camel Nomad has zincanneal profile bent panels that resist rust and a galvanised full length chassis.

Any metal left to it's own devices in the weather will eventually rust I suppose. It's a case of looking after it. Washing salt off it after a beach trip and storing it under cover.

Hot dipped galvanising on a Camel is only $670.00 as an option. I did consider it but actually don't like the look of galvanised trailers.

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Ryains

Not sure where you live but Camel have a place at Silverwater. Might be worthwhile going to see them.

CAMEL GROUP PTY LTD
Unit 1 – 28 Vore Street
Silverwater
NSW 2128

Telephone 02 9737 9555

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 pm

yeah i actually sent you an email Derek just tonight as i went to camel at silverwater today and was a bit shocked.... i don't know whether to go brand new and pay bigger dollars, or wait for a second hand one.

i went off the Gal trailer myself as i've been told of the problems that can arise when they are dipped.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi

Didnt get your email sorry. Maybe my spamkiller ate it and I missed it. Want to send it again.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat