GU v 100 series (wagon)

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

GU v 100 series (wagon)

Postby Komodo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Which one should I be look at more seriously

First I thought I would get a 100 series, but after talking to a freind and my dad and looking at prices im thinking the patrol is a better option.

Any one had experiance with either / both?

We used to have a GU patrol (petrol) which we sold and purchased an MG ZT-T (my company car) and an older ranger rover (well an 1987 Schuler Rangir with a factory Brock Grp A 5ltr motor)
To this dad dad regrets getting rid of the patrol but couldnt afford to have both a 4 yr old patrol and a brand new MG.

Now Im seriously contemplating getting a weekender 4x4 for camping and 4x4ing and towing (which is what the rangie is for currently). I want a Diesel and i want manual. I would preffer the larger diesel motor but im unsure if these came out with a factory turbo or not. I'd preffer an after market turbo setup any how.

Any one got any suggestions?
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:22 pm

OK this is an easy one, I have myself a 100 series diesel great car but not built for the stuff I like to do I have already broken the front diff once and its not so great on fuel (No Turbo). I have always been a Toyota man............until I had to work on a GQ way better vehicle in how heavy duty they are :armsup , the only reason I got the 100 series is because it came up for a good price and I will get that back next year and maybe more when I sell it.

Next car will be a GU wagon withe the 4.2 Turbo and yes some did come out with a turbo standard, but I like the models without carpet as its easier to keep clean and they didn;t come out with a turbo but its only $3000 to put one on. The Nissan 4.2 motor is actually a small truck motor and also not that great on fuel like my Hunjy but it should return better than 16L/100k's thats what I get now.

So its easy grab yourself a Nissan they are stronger and more reliable and also getting cheaper to buy, but don't get the 2.8 or 3L motors as they have a tend to blow there heads all the time!
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I've heard pretty much the same things that Kramer has detailed. Espcecially the issue with smaller engines in the GU.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Patrol

Postby gqpatrol » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Go Patrol! :?#
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:04 pm

As everyone has said, go the troll :armsup

+ I think 100 series has Independant fron suspension, which is just gay if you wanna do any half decent offroading, and is much weaker 8)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:As everyone has said, go the troll :armsup

+ I think 100 series has Independant fron suspension, I am gay, a rocky is much weaker 8)

:--? No not all 100 series were indepdent, mine is live axle and is actually if you want to get technical a 105 series, the base model. :?#
Kramer

Postby Komodo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:06 pm

Cool - sounds like a patrol it is.

The reason I was originally looking at the 100 series is because 2 of my mates have 100 series - one of which has done the round australia trip in his (4.2 non turbo with the after market turbo fitted, apparently its the factory turbos have the independant suspension) and the other mate has basically the same setup - after market turbo etc and he is into some serious hardcore 4x4ing.

But the research I seem to be doing seem to point to the patrol. Plus the more I compare the cars looks wise - i preffer the patrol, Even the GQ patrol doesnt seem to have dated as badly as the 80 series and the 100 series just looks like an elephant :P (hey looks are important :P)

Now just to decide do i get a DX or an ST patrol...

I guess that the rubber mats are easier to clean as you say - but they also are ugly and i find slippery, so prehaps the carpets are a better option and get the rubber mats from the wreakers and lat them over the top of the carpet for when going off road...
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:33 pm

Good choice, call me strange but I like the look of the 100 series :--? , I like the vinyl flooring as I have a habit of always dragging muck into the car when 4bying and carting stuff. The ST patrol has a heap of electrics in them I think which is nice if you like them, I personally don't like them too much but do miss electric windows in my car.
Kramer

Postby Scolers » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm

What is the fuel economy like in the 4.2ltr turbo? And how long have they been making this engine for the Pootrols?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:59 pm

can't possibly be worse than the 17l/100k of ulp in the schuler :P

the 4.2 diesel has been around for a while - i dont know about in TD though
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm

The motor has been around forever it was first used in trucks and I think they have been putting aftermarket turbos on them since Moses was around, then Nissan thought it would be a good idea to add a turbo to thier range. These motors are very strong I know a bloke in Sarina who is pushing 30 psi into one! Does 15's accross the quarter :armsup
Kramer

Postby Komodo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:30 pm

15secs over 400 mtrs is quick as hell and 30psi thats over triple atmospheric pressure
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:37 pm

15secs over 400 mtrs is quick as hell and 30psi thats over triple atmospheric pressure

I've got a redarc dual battery isolator and a few sets of 175amp and 50 amp anderson plugs and a long cycle relay (the relay is used so that the redarc will only open up when there is an auxillary battery connected - tip i learned from car audio applications ;)) and a 1000watt pure sine wave inverter floating around at home that were going to go into the other old rangie that we had - i stuck it on its roof before we fitted it though :?. Oh and about 30mtrs of 0ga (50mm^2) cable and about the same of 8ga cable (i told you guys i had an interest in car audio ;))
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Komodo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:03 am

Well I've got the go ahead from the accounts department and the boss (aka mum and dad - gotta love working for the parents)

So I've got Brighton Nissan and Berwick Nissan looking out for a 4.2 TD patrol. But im now wondering do i go manual or auto. The auto seems easier to come by and in many instances cheaper. One freind of mine has an auto 4x4 and loves it and another freind has a manual and swears black and bnlue that the manual is far better off road than the auto. But as one freind not into 4x4ing but with a strong mechanical engineering back ground suggested to me the auto would take up all the work rather than dependingh on a slipping clutch. My objection was excess heat with an auto but he suggested that a clutch being slipped in rough terrain and mud may generate as much if not more heat. ARGH! so confusing. Whats every ones oppinion?
A place I'd rather be...
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:26 am

from what I've read... steep downhills is the only area that manual really still trumps the Auto (not counting ones with Hill Decent here since you aren't looking at one with all the fruit!)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Groups & Activities