Motorhome/campervan hire?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Motorhomes & Campervans. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Motorhome/campervan hire?

Postby Lin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 am

My sister is coming over from Belgium next year with her husband and two teenage kids. They're looking for a cheap way to travel the East Coast and it looks like hiring a motorhome would be their best option?

So does anyone have any recommendations on what company or what model to use? Easiest for them would probably be to pick it up and return it in Sydney as that's where their plane will land.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Motorhome/campervan hire?

Postby bonger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:33 pm

we used apollo to come down from cairns to brisbane. Was fantastic. It was a new van, (only 20,000 on clock) everything was clean and lots of extras.

this was ours

http://www.apollocamper.com/campervan-h ... ourer.aspx
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Lin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:59 pm

Bumping this post because my sister now booked her tickets. It's only for next July, but I think it is best to book the motorhome/camper in advance, so will soon have to start making some decisions. They will come down with 3 of them and there’s my daughter and me, so 5 in total. The plan is to fly to Brisbane, do some exploring around there and then drive down to Sydney/Canberra.

I did some searching around at prices for hire campervans and motorhomes – including Apollo – and there is such a big difference in prices.

My sister seems to want to get a 5 or 6 berth, but I would rather take our tent as sleeping with 5 people in one space will make me feel all claustrophobic. ( I would buy a tent that’s quicker to set up because I will probably have to do it often).

So for me the ideal would be a 3-berth – cheaper and smaller/easier to drive – but with space for 5 people when driving. I found a campervan that fits the bill. But then there is the issue of it having no shower. Personally I don’t care not having a shower for a few days. Especially not if we can wash in the ocean. But I don’t know if my sister and her teenagers would cope with that. And I want to be able to camp at National Parks and other bush spots, which would also save us money.

I’m just throwing this out there to try get some tips or advice....
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Can't help with the Campervan bit Lin but camping in July in your tent you will cop a bit of rain and bad weather, but if setting and packing up in the rain is not a problem then it shouldn't worry you.

If you do say 3 days in the National Parks etc and then one night in a CP so the other girls can have a hot shower and then head out for another 3 days bush camping that may save you a little bit of cash also and give them their hot shower.

Good luck with your search. I think Rosco may know a little about campervans as he used to have one.

It will be great for you to catch up with your sister in July. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:55 pm

How wrong you are XB.....July is our ''dry'' period and the best time for camping (if you don't mind about 22deg camping....)chrystal clear blue skies and the fishings great......
As for campers,,,,There is a huge penalty to pay if hiring from one city and departing from another.....so....always return to where you started.
As for pricing....You should get an ''Early booking / settlement'' discount....can be as much as a 1/3rd...depending on the company.....

LOOK AT THEM ALL....TYPE IN ''CHEAPEST MOTORHOME RENTALS QLD.... Price will vary by quite abit

We looked at doing the same for our trip next year when we head North....But have decided now to buy a caravan.

When the time gets closer,,,,remind me.....not sure what you will be doing for wheels by then but....we have 1 smaller tent (black wolf)...and a next size up which (if theres only 2 of you)...should be ok....you are most welcome to use what you want......since we got the camper trailer the stuff doesn't get much use....besides we also have a pop up camper and will have the caravan by then....anyway...your most welcome to use
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks Rosco.

I did do another search on the Apollo and Cheapacampa websites and the prices where the same if we dropped off the camper in the same town?

My sister actually got a quote for a 5 berth Britz from the Dutch Cheapacampa franchise and it seemed a bit cheaper than what they quote here!

Are your tents Turbo tents? If we drive down to Sydney/Canberra, I would have to mail it back though. So I'll probably be cheaper to just take one on the plane. But thanks for the offer, very kind!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Are your tents Turbo tents?..........YEP....WE HAVE A GOOD SYSTEM WHILE CAMPING....
Avis is ''our'' Turbo....and she lets me be the Supervisor''.....She likes to always set it up her way ,,,,(gets that off her Mother....)...thats when I get a turn of ''Supervising''....When things arn't going as planned.. :-bang ..lol...and she NEEDS my help.
(The real arguments start....When its ''Tarping time''...God I luv that time .. :# .(lol)...She knows that I do a better Tarp than she does....but still won't listen and goes off in a ''huff''.....Then the ''real'' turbo sets in and its done in a jiffy......(ME !!!)
All-in-all.....We do get it done eventually. :cheers ...AND believe it or not,,,,a bit of a laugh after its all in place.

''''''The short answer to your question is.....No,,We don't use Turbo Tents.''''''

When you book your Motorhome you will have to still order a ''5'' berth unit...if for no other reason....So that you each get a ''seat-belt''.....

We have looked into renting a car at times and stayed in cabins on our trips....this can often suit your budget better than hiring a motorhome (....I have a friend who will not invest in a motorhome (he believes that for most of the year ,,,,they are a white elephant....and hes quite correct when you work out how much you have invested plus insurance & ongoing maintenance & depreciation plus running costs i.e Diesel etc)......So he chooses to take his own vehicle...which he already owns (and knows)....and stays in Motels /Hotels all the way....As they say...Horses for courses....& it suits them.

Try and make your decision as soon as you can...at-least you should still get the early booking discount and guarantee yourselves of a vehicle ...(Winters our busy time up here so you will also have to plot your course and book ahead for your accommodation.....
Once you get around NSW,,,,booking ahead won't be so important.

Let us know when you arrive as well.....Few of us would luv to meet you (well,,,,''300'' of us...lol).....Maybe a glass or 10 of wine....around a fire ...somewhere

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Motorhomes & Campervans