Billabong Damper

Great camping, outdoor or general recipes for the whole family. Lets share some of those favourite recipes.

Billabong Damper

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm

I read this on a couples blogg who were traveling through Western Australia.....sounds great (and easy)

Billabong Damper. (for two)

Nothing tastes as good as food cooked over an open fire, .......

Clean the bark off 2 nice long fat sticks about a metre long

Mix together I large cup of self raising flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, a pinch of salt and enough warm water to make a stiff dough.

Knead for a few minutes and shape into 2 long rolls, rolling them between your hands. Coil each roll around the stick and cook over SLOW coals till the dough has risen and is a golden crusty brown. It will pull off easily from the stick if it is done.

Now the best part……….drop a big knob of golden butter into the damper so it melts down the hollow center and drips onto your hand. Then fill it up with jam, syrup or anything sweet that takes your fancy. I have known the truly decadent to use a stick of chocolate

There will be much licking of fingers…….but the elbow is impossible. The singing of Kumbyya is optional!
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Favorite Recipes