camping trailer

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:53 pm

yeah sure, i'll give it another go mate.
Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:56 pm

sent again Derek.

as a matter of interest Derek did you deal with the camel group at silverwater - or buy online and deal with camel in Qld?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:There's also a mob In/near Riverstone, about 10 mins before windosor, In sydney street I think. If you go down windsor Rd they have a sign somwhere near the Pool n Spa place. Next time i'm around there i'll try and take more notice :lol:

"Windsor farm Equipment". Opposite Blue Haven Pools n Spars. They have a CT on display out front along with a whole bunch of tractors and stuff.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 pm

RYAINS wrote:sent again Derek.

as a matter of interest Derek did you deal with the camel group at silverwater - or buy online and deal with camel in Qld?

I dealt direct with one of the guys in Brisbane. Also the operations manager in Brisbane who is making it. I also had one on loan when I filmed The 4X4 Show late last year. Thats what really cnvinced me to get one.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 pm

yeah i really like the quality of the canvas and the trailer seems pretty good, but things sure ad up! ::() was thinking of maybe getting evrything bar the annex walls for now so i could afford it and get the walls down the track....... I WANT A CAMP TRAILER SO BAD!!!!! :x
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 am

Hammer tone is as discribed by Derrick.

Hammertone looks quite hardy and generally is. BUT when it cracks it lifts off very easily. Apparently the new hammertone paint doesnt do this as much though.

HD galvanizing will warp metal - especially sheet CHS and RHS (or SHS for you nu skoolers out there). Zincanneal and the like is a very very light galvanising - once it scratches it will rust so if drilling holes in zincanneal or lytgal be wary of metal swarf scratching the coating. Zincanneal is actually a lighter coating of zinc than even lytgal (lytgal being what purlins are coated as)

IMO any coating on the steel is fine. Keep moving parts lubricated and any non-moving parts painted. Do regular checks for rust and treat them by sanding the area around and coat with a killrust type paint system.

You can of course get the trailer HD galv'd then painted in 2 pac. this will be the most hardy but be wary of doing mods to the trailer before the paint has fully cured. Polester paint is also good for trailers and the like and goes like shrink wrap plasitic. the good thing about polester paint is it flexes before cracking.

It all somes down to coin in the end and how much you want to spend making a trailer as rust proof as possible remembering that nothing is completely rust proof when it comes to moving components - if it was no cars would rust as they would be treating cars with these treatments. A good eye and some annual maintenance will be better than any coating IMO.

And i agree gal trailers look ordinary because the different grades and thicknesses of steel not to mention local V's imported steel gives off different coloring to the galvanizing.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks, I plan to keep it under cover when at home and will keep in mind the maintenance as well... so with any luck it will last.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Had a call from the guys today and I am collecting mine at 8.00 am this Saturday.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 pm

Wow lucky bugger :( sure wish i could decide what to do and had tonights lotto numbers :***

Hey Derek, did you say you were in the sydney merto area as well? have you ever checked - or for that matter has anyone checked out, or dealt with bell canvas camp trailers?
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:32 pm

I am out at Wagga Wagga. Don't know of the company you are talking about.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Wagga wagga.... you have the best of worlds there Derek. Not far to Victoria and your in NSW.

I went and saw them today their in Minchinbury Sydney and they seem to be on par with everyone else as far as trailer specs and tents specs but seem cheaper in some parts. Have a squiz when you get a chance Derek and let me know if something catches your eye, whether it is good or bad. the link is http://www.bellcanvas.com.au i was looking at the town and country.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 pm

The website doesn't seem to give a lot of info and the tent looks rather small. Would need to actually see it to comment properly. Weight looks rather odd as well. My trailer and tent are 440 kg and the options are on top of that. This one says 240 kg for the trailer.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby RYAINS » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Actually the size isn't too bad. The trailer seems to pretty much exactly the same as the camel trailer (to the untrained eye that is - ME!) but the canvas is of high quality and prices seem fair - ish. Did you look forever for your trailer before you brought Derek? Also how long have the camel group been around? i guess you have maybe you've had a couple in your day and you know eactly what you want and whats good.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:48 pm

Mate, this is my first camper trailer. Have always been a tent camper although I did own a caravan for about a year when my kids were little. I looked for a long time though to find Camel. Not sure how long camel have been around.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi Ryains

I am in Sydney and I looked at the Bell Canvas trailers and thought they were OK but we ended up buying one from 3dogcampers in byron bay, because a friend bought one and when we looked at it the finish was excellent. I also looked at some at Kangaroo Tent City (parramatta) they will actually fit a camper to your trailer, and just this weekend gone I saw someone selling ones at the Blacktown Drive-In markets, from $6,000, they actually looked pretty good too.

I found the ones from Tent city to be a little rough, small things like giving you 2nd hand tyres etc. Also we ended up with an aluminium trailer as we needed it to be lightweight as we only have a 1.8L car.

It gets hard and the price definitely adds up but for me the quality of the finish was really important as I intend to keep it for 10yrs and then hopefully sell it or if we find a place we love perhaps sell it for an on-site van.
Good Luck!
mummeee74
Post Machine!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat