camping with dogs

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Postby Scolers » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:20 am

Here's our mutt with my son ... he loves camping too (both of them!) ... just gotta keep him away from the Blow fish!

We do the right things and clean up after him (the dog!) and keep him away from other dogs if in a caravan park ... although it's rarely a problem.

The only thing I don't like about taking a dog camping is when you want to go into a national park but are prohibited (which is fair but is limiting sometimes).

Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

other options

Postby GetUpAndGo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:21 pm

There are other options than taking your dog camping, or kenneling - have you thought of using a pet sitter? Your dog gets to stay at home instead of being sent away to board and gets walked and fed every day.

Make sure you pick someone who is insured and police checked. Lonely Pets Club (http://www.lonelypetsclub.com.au) are all over Melbourne; there must be similar services offered in other states, just google 'pet sitting', or try Yellow Pages.
GET UP AND GO!
GetUpAndGo

Re: other options

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm

GetUpAndGo wrote:There are other options than taking your dog camping, or kenneling - have you thought of using a pet sitter? Your dog gets to stay at home instead of being sent away to board and gets walked and fed every day.

Make sure you pick someone who is insured and police checked. Lonely Pets Club (http://www.lonelypetsclub.com.au) are all over Melbourne; there must be similar services offered in other states, just google 'pet sitting', or try Yellow Pages.
Let me guess, you or a family member work for or own that business? :roll: You join up, and post the same 'spam' in three threads, on your 1st day joined. We do have an advertising section ya know ;) .
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

doggy care

Postby GetUpAndGo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:47 am

Hi OzzyCamper
Sorry if you thought my postings were spam, I actually thought they were quite relevant to anyone who was struggling with what to do with their pets when they go camping... which is what the 3 threads I posted to were about... lots of people don't know about pet sitting as it is quite a new thing in this country. Yes I am involved with the pet sitting industry, but only because I love animals and it is such a great service :grin: so I don't feel bad letting people know about it. Have a great day!
GET UP AND GO!
GetUpAndGo

Postby mytribe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Why would we want to get our pet's sitted by strangers, when we can take them camping with us, or get friends to look after them while we go away :grin:
mytribe
Post Machine!

Dog babysitters

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 pm

I guess they are saying if all else fails there is a caring sharing group that can look after your beloved pet better then have it stuck in some kennel. Probably something that is going to be more prevalent with many campgrounds tighten their policies towards dogs. Something to consider if you are in Victoria at least.
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: camping with dogs

Postby MD23 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:41 am

Just wondering what the OP thought of Dando's...we were also there over Easter.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
MD23

Re: camping with dogs

Postby Little Kopit » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 am

Just to add something here, all dogs are different, breeds are different, just like people.

My dogs want to be with me. The most extreme situation was a trip in 2004 when I knocked off 4,000 km in 5 days in Oct., ie. slightly above freezing each night and mostly pre-snow time. I felt pressure to reach my destination quickly. Oh, did they ever read me. Day one, one had a mid day pee. Day 2 no one did. Day 3 no one was interested in having a walk. For the rest of that trip they would not do any do of any kind unless they were tied onto the frame of the truck. That means, we have stopped here for some time. Then they relaxed.

I have tried the kennel thing, no go. It's not that they were bad, it's just that they made it clear, that isn't, just isn't. At that time work had me putting pups in kennel 4x a year for 4 days each time. They know when it's our trip.

:)
& I, I took the road less travelled by

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006
Little Kopit
Camping Veteran

Previous

Return to Camping Tips and Locations