Camper Trailer Water Tank

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Camper Trailer Water Tank

Postby mawilkinson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Hi All
I have just ordered my first camper. To try and save a few $$ i didn't get a water tank fitted. The company where I bought it from wanted $400 as an optional extra.
Does anyone know where I could get one cheaper? Do most tanks mount under the trailer?
thanks
mawilkinson
Boy Scout

Postby Kramer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:13 am

I had a friend pick up a 60 or 80 litre water tank that mounts underneath a camper for around $80 I think he had to fab the mounts up himself to fit it but it works well, sorry I can;t think of the store also he was in Brisbane and try some of those caravan and camper magazines they have lots of ads in them for those sorts of things.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:59 pm

Try a caravan retail shop ... not a place that sell caravans but a place that sells parts for carvans.

I recently priced a water tank (heavy duty plastic is a MUST) for $250 and the cheaper plastic was around the $120 mark. The problem with the cheaper plastic one is that you'll need to put some form of a metal guard underneath it to stop leaks beicng caused by stones (happens a lot).

I also looked into prefab steel tanks. I thin a 60 ltr one was going to set me back $200 plus I still had to fit it. BUT it's much more stone resistant.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 pm

I am getting a 65 litre tank fitted to my Camel Camper. It was an option and cost $350 fitted with filler, hoses and tap at the sink. They are pretty robust as can be seen by the following photos.

Derek

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:50 pm

That's a good price Derek! Assuming the water tank is of the heavy PVC variety.

A tank plus what you mentioned is usually around the $350 - $400 mark WITHOUT FITTING. You did well there.

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 pm

From the Camel Website

Water Tanks
Camel water tanks are manufactured to the highest quality specifications in our Australian factory. Our water tanks have been designed specifically to withstand the harshest off road conditions underneath camper trailers and caravans. The tank has 6 secure mounting points eliminating the need for straps and other fabricated holding devices. Camel water tanks have approximately 10mm wall thickness, ensuring maximum strength and the tank is manufactured from food grade low density Polyethylene that has very high impact resistance.
The tank has a baffle preventing water slush and also gives additional structural strength as illustrated in this photo. The tank has a filler, breather and pump connection situated on top of the tank preventing damage from rocks and stones underneath the trailer. A drain is situated on the bottom side of the tank as illustrated.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Just don't fil it from a garden hose ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:00 pm

<Just don't fil it from a garden hose ... Wink >

Why's that Scolers?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:51 pm

You can get quite sick from the residual water that is left in a garden hose. BCF sell the correct hoses for filling up a water container ... and I think Bunnings do to.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 pm

Oh OK, Do you actually drink the water from the water tank? I have been lugging bottled water along with us, especially for the kids and using the water tank just for washing up and cooking (which OK I know seems crazy in hindsight) But why don't you get sick from the residual water left in the water tank? And what if you flushed the hose with fresh water first???

So many questions.... so little brain power :grin:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 pm

So long as you have filled the water tank up with a non garden hose then you'll be fine. I only found out about this myself a few months back and thought "yeah, yeah right" but since I've been looking into it I've actually found ppl who got quite sick from filling their tanks up from a garden hose. The bugs stay in ... flushing or not.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby bushcamper » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:25 pm

We've been using drinking grade hose for this purpose for nearly 30 years, never heard of any one getting sick from using a garden hose (although I would believe it) but some of them make the water taste terrible.

We also filter the water going into any container we use for drinking.

Better save than sorry. :cheers
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:32 pm

Eeeew OK I believe you.

What filter arrangement do you use bushcamper?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:31 pm

There are water tanks and there are water tanks. I to have never heard of anyone getting sick but I know ordinary garden hose can put an awful taste to water.

One thing that took me with the Camel Water tank was
manufactured from food grade low density Polyethylene

I think that is as important as anything to have food grade material in the manufacture.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:27 pm

bushcamper wrote:We've been using drinking grade hose for this purpose for nearly 30 years, never heard of any one getting sick from using a garden hose (although I would believe it) but some of them make the water taste terrible.

We also filter the water going into any container we use for drinking.

Better save than sorry. :cheers

I was surprised when I heard it myslef as I was looking for a water storage unit for our CT ... 3 ppl posted up how they got sick from the use of garden hoses.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Next

Return to Camper Trailers