First time camping with 3 kids

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

First time camping with 3 kids

Postby Stephen T » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi All,

We have decided to gear up to start camping this summer. 2 adults. 3 kids... Ages 9,6,3.

We pretty much only have a tent, a Stockmans Weekender. I know it's bottom end but if we enjoy it i'll upgrade for next summer.

We are only going about 20km away for our first hit out when it warms up a little incase the wife / kids don't agree with it plus i'm pretty sure i will forget something or won't have thought of something.

Questions / advice :

For the basics what do we DEFINATELY need first up... table, stove, lantern, bedding etc and any suggestion in brands would be great ?

As i said "First Timers" so if anyone could post a "Checklist" or something similar they use before setting off it would be appreciated also.

We are in Wollongong, and would like to try a few weekend trips. Can anyone recommend any great spots, and tips to remember when camping with little ones.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Cheers

Trivo :hello:
Stephen T

Re: First time camping with 3 kids

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Trivo and welcome!!!! :hello:

Where do I start!!!!!!! :***

Table - depends on the storage space you have. (We have a bigger table that the legs fold under & a smaller metal slat table that packs up into a bag similar to a camp chair bag.
Comfy camping chair ( sit in as many as you can until you find your perfect fit)
Bedding ( we have a CT so that is taken care of but our girls both have swags which beat an airmattress hands down)
Storage boxes for cutlery, plates etc, lights, cooking utensils & pans, electrical leads etc)
Lighting (we have a big red Coleman lantern & two smaller Coleman lanterns and they have been great) :--?
Stove We have opted for two butane burner stoves that have hard plastic cases or the campfire.
Water container Always be prepared.
Cooking/Eating Stuff Plates, cutlery, chopping boards etc. A picnic set with all that in it is a good way to start. Skillet, saucepan, campoven, it all depends on where and when you go and personal preference too.

That is just a start but I'm sure some of the others on the forum can add a heap more!!!! :?#

It does all depend on the storage room that you have as to how much you can take....

Hope this gets you started on the right track.....ENJOY!!!!!! :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Toilet paper ::()
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:41 am

LOL Titch you crack me up,,
don`t worry about starting at the bottom Trivo we all did,i know there are a ton of posts here but yes there is amongst them a beginners list of what to take and a big discussion is always about Tarps,with kids i would definately take one,for shelter from sun, wind, rain,bird poop what ever.also look at the forum "show us your campsite". If it is mozzie season mossie sticks and aeroguard..can opener..cable ties ( i love them things).
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 am

p://camping.com.au/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... a65b9d3c62

I think this is the thread i was looking for.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am

Ok link not working it is page 18 on chit chat called Hyperthetical a chat about waht camp gear you would take on a budget or beginner camper.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Stephen......You could always ask ''Her-in-Doors'' to make a list of what she thinks she will need for the camp..... :# .....That way.....its always gunna be ''her'' fault....if it gets forgotten....ha ha

:cheers ::) :cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:27 pm

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Stephen T » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the words of wisdom / experience guys.

Titch... The wife says that will be the 1st thing packed

The hyperthetical was a great read too thanks for the link Poodle Jewel / Gypsy Lady

Rosco - Tried that and all i got was " Make sure the beds comfy and i'll be happy, you sort the rest out "

So i've got a tent, toilet paper, esky, stubbie holder & chairs

Now to find a "Comfy bed ", a lantern, some sleeping bags and some warmer weather and we can hit the scrub.

CAN'T WAIT !!!!

Thanks again. :+
Stephen T

Postby Titch2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Take a few hot water bottles.
If the young ones go to bed warm they usually sleep well.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:04 am

We have Roman -12 sleeping bags which have always been good. We bought the kids their own king single swags a couple of Xmas' ago and they have been fantastic. :armsup

I know they cost a little but they are not only used when we go camping but also come out when the kids have sleep overs or we have visitors. Our kids are older than yours (13,16,& 18) but they will have them for the rest of their lives.

Plus when we are setting up we dont have any mattressess to blow up and then listen to them moan cause they have gone down during the night. And they take a sec to unclip and roll out as they are already made up. :+

Our kids also each have their own torches & we have found Coleman a great brand of light (small or large).

Make sure you make a budget & list before you hit the shops or it can so easily get out of hand.....and I find my hubby is way worse than me when sticking to a budget when shopping for camping gear. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing how you get on and what new stuff you buy!!!! ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

What about cooking....what have you got sorted for that Stephen.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Stephen T » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks again guys.

Cooking - Hadn't really given it alot of thought yet. Any suggestions for cooking for 5 would be great please.

Question though: I have a brand new 9L gas BBQ bottle at home. Is there anything i can hook it up to ( Besides a BBQ of course ) to cook... stove, burner etc. ?

Also, do i need a fridge and if so any recommendations for 5. I have a massive esky but that's it.

Are there any 5-6 seater tables / chairs out there or only 4 seaters ?

Thanks again
Stephen T

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:20 pm

You can get a 6 foot folding blow mould table and matching folding stools from most camping outlets. That will sort the table etc out for you. Not sure if you have BCF but I have seen them in there at times.

The massive esky will suffice for the time being Stephen, don't spend any more money that you have to at this point.

There is a cast iron stove you can get to attach to the gas bottle. They come in single burner, double burner and even bigger. See attached pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm

We love to help here on this great forum. :?#

We have a 6ft blow moulded table that folds in half that we used to take but now dont bother cause our kids are older and eat on their laps!!! Also each of our kids had their own chairs that they would pull over to the table to eat and that eliminates fights over who is sitting where... :lol:

We usually just take our two butane stoves with us & use them if we are not using the campovens. We have a Coleman gas two burner stove but have never used it.

I usually make up a big casserole and freeze it before we go and then just defrost it the day we are going to have it and heat it up in the big saucepan on one stove and then make up some instant mashed potato on the other stove and serve with bread rolls....the kids havent complained so far. Also sausage sambos are good for the first night and I just cook them in the saucepan on the butane stove. The girls also love cooking their own pancakes on the stove in the mornings for breakkie... so if you make a couple of frozen dinners to take it will make things a bit easier when feeding a crowd.

We used to just take the big esky but have slowly graduated to a 60L Primus fridge hooked up in the back of the Prado to the second battery and the beer esky (essential). Which is usually big enough to feed all 5 of us for a couple of days!!!!.

Ooops nearly forgot....we also have a little round BBQ that fits into a carry bag that we sometimes take with us in the summer.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Gear Guide