bars in camp trailer.......??????

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

bars in camp trailer.......??????

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Another curly one for all the camp trailer owners and enthusiast. The bars inside the camp trailer that fold out the tent, is it better that they be rounded? Or square? :? Has anyone had an issue with either or know what’s best? Just would like to know.

Thanks
Can't wait for next summer!.... or a camp trailer :-)
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Round ... square ones will cause excess wear on the canvas and cause it to fray prematurely.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm

I had a person (mind you they were selling these ones) tell me today that square tubes are stronger than the round.... I’m very close to buying a CT this week but the bars are round, so just wanted to know whether I should keep away from those.

Should there be certain steel I should ask for on the base of a camp trailer or anything really important that I need to ensure it last me for years to come? I really appreciate all the advice as I’m learning as I go.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Round tube steel will always be stronger than square. They were either on drugs or spinning rubbish :?

Look at any vehicle with roll bars, they all use round tube.

When I saw the title I thought you meant bars as in the beverage serving type :mrgreen: , almost made me run out and get a CT :beer
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Yeah just the old sales pitch I guess, but when you don't know its great to be able to punch into your computer any question you needed answered in this forum and someone can help :+ I think it's bloody fantastic!

I’m just stuck with what brakes to get now.... electric - or over ride?? The camp is under the weight but just want the added safety.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Kramer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Man I thought the same as Ozzy and said to myself this is my sort of thread :grin: But I can answer the brakes question I like overider brakes they are simple and always work, not much to go really wrong with them and are easy to adjust/fix if needed. A friend has electric brakes on his Jayco and he dosen't trust them much I have had a fiddle with them after he drove off with the plug still connected to the car it was a pain :-bang .

Another friend has a 2 tonne ski boat on a dual axle trailer with disc overider (sp??) brakes on it and we put new hubs and bearings in the other day then adjusted them and they work really well he tows it with a dualcab lux and it dosen't hinder his stopping at all.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah I’ve been told by one bloke who makes and sells camp trailers that he doesn't trust the electric brakes, and says that half the people driving around with them wouldn't even be working because people just don't adjust them properly.

He hires the campers out and told me he once told a customer to cut the wires because of the troubles it was giving the customer while on the road..... Sounds good if the over ride breaks will do the job for me then.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby RYAINS » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 pm

maybe i should change it to tubing in camp trailer :armsup

seems to get people looking though :lol:
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby Komodo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:25 am

LOL @ Ozzie - me too me too. I was thinking - hey thats a cool idea but what am i going to use to chill the lines
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm

or how about some security bars on the windows? :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Kramer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:07 am

meeky wrote:or how about some security bars on the windows? :lol:

:*** :*** Thats a good one :grin:
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Barby-Q » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:35 am

That's a New Topic for sure ' The Bar '.
Andy & Ange
Barby-Q
Camping Oracle

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:27 am

Not as silly as it sounds really is it?? The guy that I camped next to on my last holiday almost had a bar. He had such a great set up it wasn't funny! He had a small keg gassed by a soda stream gas cylinder and it was all set up in a 55L camp fridge :+ it was a top set up. ice cold beer on tap in a camp ground. what could be better!
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Postby jollyroger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:55 pm

My CT has two (rounded) poles welded at a 45deg angle for the tent area and one has snapped at the weld. This is proving to be expensive to fix. Even though they appear to very sharp at the corner there has been an extra bit of very thick canvas stitched in that has a rubbery feel to it. It protects it very well - But makes it harder to get to - to repair!

This rubbery bit may be my saviour as it might protect the canvas and they can be re-welded without undoing the stitching.

I would put in curved edged poles with an extra cross piece on each side to strengthen the corner.

::() :-bang
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby RYAINS » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:42 pm

It’s not when you consider the weight of the canvas that gets flung over and back that they could break.
RYAINS
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat