Broken Hill Best Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Broken Hill Best Camping

Postby Anne H » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:53 am

We are heading off to Broken Hill for the September School Holidays. We don't really like camping in commercial camp grounds but prefer somewhere quiet where we can have a camp fire. I was thinking about Silverton which is only about 25km out of Broken Hill. We don't need power just a nice quiet spot to pitch out tent. Has anyone stayed at the Silverton Camp Ground or the other caravan parks in Broken Hill. Love to hear about your experiences.
Anne H

Re: Broken Hill Best Camping

Postby Titch2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:24 am

I can't help you Anne,but I wil watch this with interest.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Hello Anne and WELCOME to the forum.

I had a few days out in the BH - Silverton area in June. I stayed at Lake View CP in BH and you can actually see the lake now that they have had some really good rains. The there is Penrose Park at Silverton.

Penrose Park is a very large campground with animals etc for the kids to see, wide open spaces and you can have a fire but you MUST seek permission to do so from the caretaker and it has to be in the containers provided. Firewood can be obtained for out by the reservoir.

PP is pretty ordinary and was not the cleanest when I was there but if you can look past that then it will serve the purpose and it is the only place in Silverton. It has a lot of history and in its heyday would have been spectacular. Unfortunately, it has been let go and is rather run down now.

Lots to see around Silverton.... Mundi Mundi Plains, Mund Mundi Lookout where Mad Max2 was filmed and Umberumberka Reservoir is great for a picnic as well. And of course there is the Mad Max museum and best of all the Old Goal Museum which was the best $3.00 I ever spent. Be prepared to get lost in there, there is so much to look at so make sure you allocate sufficient time. Have a look at the pics on the walls of the local pub as well and then there is a replica of the MM Interceptor to see outside the pub. Everyone raves about the cafe but I found the food to be very ordinary and very expensive. There is also the Coin Carvery and check out the dog when you go there.

I thoroughly recommend a Daydream Mine tour too, a bit pricey at $25 per adult but well worth the money if you can manage. Not sure how old your kids are (presume you have kids as you are going in the school holidays) but if they are old enough, they too will enjoy the mine tour.

Menindee Lakes is also a must see if you are in the area, in fact I would plan to spend a couple days out there if you can manage. There are a number of campgrounds out there without having to go into the NP; all the campgrounds in the NP were under water when I was there. Make sure you do see the Woolshed.

Menindee is about 115klms from BH and Silverton is about 26 klms in the opposite direction and some 33 dips away from BH.

Bells Milk Bar is a must see in BH and there are mine tours you can do there also. The Line of Lode is worth a visit too and the Miners Memorial is up there as well. Great to see the city lights from the Line of Mode at night. Visit the Visitor Info Centre for all the goods on what to see in BH and don't miss the Living Desert.

Hope this gets you started. Have a look here in case I forgot something Anne.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6174
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:08 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Anne...

Great work Gypsy... :+

We went out to Silverton 25years ago when we had friends living in Broken Hill and loved it and would love to get back that way one day.

The look out is amazing I reckon you could actually see the curve of the earth from there!!!!! :***

Look forward to reading your trip report Anne when you get back and of course seeing the pics also!! :+

Hope you have a great time.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:The look out is amazing I reckon you could actually see the curve of the earth from there!!!!! :***

That is very true XB and quite unbelievable too. On a clear day it would be spectacular and of course it is where Mad Max 2 was filmed 30 odd years ago.

Funny, standing on top of the lookout and you can very easily imagine that at any moment now Mel Gibson is going to come roaring up that road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations