Our Roadtrip!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Our Roadtrip!

Postby Woodsy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:51 pm

This roadtrip had been planed for a while and we almost didnt make it due to a stubborn bolt but we got that sorted and the car was ready to go 12pm the day before we left! We left about 6:30am on the 7th september heading for Dubbo, instead of heading out through sydney we decided to head out there through local roads which was great as we saw parts of the central coast we had never seen before, we stopped at Denman for breakfast then continued through to Dubbo, not far from Dunedoo just before Elong Elong we almost collected a roo which came out straight in front of us only just missing it as i had braked rather heavily but didnt swerve, thats one thing i told the girlfriend not to do as well, yes we may hit the roo but there are more trees around us that would probably of killed us if we hit one of them instead.

We arrived in Dubbo early afternoon and got a spot at the Dubbo City holiday park, we had some rather intoxicated locals camping next to us but by the time we setup and headed into Dubbo for supplies and got back they were gone, thankfully.

The next day we headed into the Western Plain Zoo which at $46 each adult we thought was extremely rich considering about 8 animals were not on display. But we were first into the park and it was very quiet but we got up close with the giraffes as one came up right to the fence for us. The worst part was the nesting magpies which decided to do afew flybys and the highlight was the meercats and the farting zebra.. lol

We had dinner at the local bowling club just up the road which was pretty nice headed home and hit the sack ready for an early morning and another long drive to Tamworth.

( The weather was quite cold in Dubbo we even went and bought a beanie each as the nights were freezing and to make matters worse our new oztrail queen blown up mattress on the frame was leaking badly during the night. )

The drive to Tamworth was nice, went through afew small towns but the roads were long and straight which made for some tired drivers so we did the right thing and 'stopped revived survived'. Tamworth was windy and freezing so instead of camping it we decided to get a cabin for 2 nights at the Big4 Paradise Tourist Park which was right on the river we were glad to get a cabin as it snowed in Tamworth that night up in the hills. We went and saw the Golden Guitar and went down the main street looking at shops etc... well the girlfriend did i was just dragged along lol.

The cabin was clean and after we put the a/c on it was nice and warm and we had a chance to wash some clothes. We went for a drive into a town called Nundle which is about 40 minutes from Tamworth and hired some goldpans and had a go at panning down on the river, as expected we got nothing lol but we had fun while doing it. We went into the Woollen Mill while we were there too. We explored alot of Tamworth, look outs etc and had a good time. So after 2 nights in Tamworth it was onto the big drive for the Holiday which was Byron Bay.

We went through alot of towns and bypassed Armidale so we could go through Tenterfield which we stopped at for lunch, it looked like a really nice town and on the way out we stopped at the Tenterfield Saddler and had a chat with the employee there for about 20 minutes about all the local stuff, so next time we are near there i would definitely like to spend afew nights there.

We could tell when we were getting closer to the coast as the traffic got heavier and there were traffic lights lol. Byron was packed as expected and the first holiday park we went to wanted $50 a night so we kept looking and found the Byron Bay Tourist Village which was $12.50 a night each so we camped it there, the operators were kind enough to put us down in the quiet area rather than with the drunken yahoo's with there music blaring which was good, it was fenced and had a large security gate. The weather in Byron was abit 50/50, the first 2 days were mainly fine but we got some rain on the second night which meant packing the tent up went yet again.

From Byron we were not to sure where to go so we called into Lennox Head which looked like a great place but for some reason we decided to keep heading south and ended up in Coffs harbour for 4 days in a cabin at Park Beach Holiday Park, the weather was fantastic and everyone was mainly friendly, we went to the Butterfly Farm which even for a bloke i really liked it and we did some fossicking as well and got afew good sized sapphires. We did alot of looking around and took afew photos. Then came the night before we had to head home so everything was reluctantly packed up and reading for the trip home, we really did not want this trip to end and we loved every moment of it, Apart from the Oztrail Bed deflating completely within afew hours, that was really the only bad thing about it, sure there were afew yahoo's and yobbo's but they are to be expected especially in Byron Bay, which i have to say we were not that keen on.. we would like to go back when its abit quieter to explore it abit more though.

For me, i loved being out west with the rolling hills and the red dust and would really love to live there some day but i also enjoyed the coast, mainly Coffs harbour as we were the only 2 people on the beach.

We have a heap of pics to go through so will get them up when i can.

Cheers Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Re: Our Roadtrip!

Postby Titch2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Good post Josh.
Can't wait for the pictures.
Glad you had a good time.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Great to read that you enjoyed your break.....Unfortunatly....they always seem to be a week short....ha
You picked on a couple of my favorites.....Tamworth ,,,we used to try & get down there for the music festival (saw my 1st snake swiming in the river there....) & Coffs.....Beautiful place,,,,as are a number of towns around that area.....Byron....Although a very beautiful area....it was the yuppies / hippies that put us off wanting to go back there in a hurry as well....shame

:cheers :cheers
Last edited by Rosco1 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks Josh, sounds like you had a great trip.

I agree that Dubbo Zoo is very expensive especially if you have a few kids in tow!!!! :***

We made the mistake of going in summer and it was just too hot.

I agree with you about Tenterfield....we went through there years ago and have it on our list to visit!!

Look forward to the pics.....

And yes it is especially lovely out here this time of year with the canola in bloom and the wheat nice and green, makes for beautiful views. I'm glad we are now starting to get some warmer weather but with that comes the snakes......Don't think Rosco will tour out here this season. Our neighbour up the road killed a 4.5ft brown yesterday that was really fat and shiny!!!! Not a good sign seeing them this early in the year.....oh well shovels at the back door ready to go.... ::() ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Great report Josh......bring on the pix.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:45 pm

What a great trip...the ole blow up mattresses does it again eh ?...Tenterfield is my favourite place, Bald Rock and Boo noo Boo Noo are just beautiful places,unfortunately i have dogs now and it is a National park :( Moonee Beach Park at Coffs is a top spot and pet friendly..yes photos please.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Here are some pics.

On the way to Dubbo we saw these canola? fields and they were too good to pass up not to take a photo.

Camping in Dubbo

Dubbo Zoo
The Farting Zebra

Road to Tamworth

The Tenterfield Saddler

On the Way to Byron Bay

The Final stop Coffs Harbour
The Butterfly House

The Wheels - It had heaps of stuff packed into it and we still had clear vision out the back, we did 2558km and filled it up 4 times costing $45 to fill it.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm

GREAT pics, thanks Josh......LOVE the Giraffes....one of my favourites.

The fields of canola.....magical.

Unfortunately I missed the Butterfly place when I was down there last year...very disappointed I was. Going to make a point of going next time after reading your comments. Thank You.

Also loved the light House pic....the shimmering water is just gorgeous.

Very economical wheels you have there....bonus.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Great pictures mate,glad you had a good time.
Cheers.
Titch

Blasted Giraffes are everywhere,and so few recipes :lol:
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Woodsy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks, its very economical to run, still looks like a pokemon though lol doesnt have enough get up and go for me.

We both love photography and could of stopped heaps more times for photos but we just wanted to get to where ever we were going.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 am

Yep great pics Woodsy.........SO...WHERE TO NEXT ????

Gotta be a recipe somewhere for those ''Giraffe neck chops''.... :beer :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 am

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

Thanks Josh sounded like a great trip....

Great pics, especially love the meerkat, they are hilarious to watch.

The view from our carpark at work here looks very similar to your canola picture, it's an amazing crop in full flower just such a pity it stinks soooo much when it gets wet.....and against the green wheat makes for really unbelieveable pics. Some of the local photographer's here do their family pics standing amongst the canola crops and they are stunning portraits.

Holy cow Titch you are still trying to cook up some zoo grub. I found this and thought you might get Von to buy you a copy for Xmas!!! :--?

Looking forward to reading about your next trip!!!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat