quick-erect tents?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

quick-erect tents?

Postby jm2004 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi, I've searched and believe nobody has brought this question up before.
I've thought of Blackwolf Turbo/TurboLite or JETTENT, but now BCF has started selling those Wanderer Tourer 5 Instant Tent, and Coleman Instant Tent, which if you've seen the products / brochures, they all seem to have similar frame structure.

I just wonder if anybody has purchased and tried those Wanderer or Coleman Instant tents, how do you think they "perform" e.g. rain, sunshine, strong wind, quality in general?

I'm thinking of "upgrading" from my old dome tent which still faithfully serves us albeit a bit fiddly to setup etc, so your experience sharing would be appreciated. For additional info, we are a small family of 3, will be down to just my wife and I when the daughter is no longer willing to come along, so we are after a 4 probably 6 person tent-size max. The camping trips will be car based.

Thanks,
Jon
jm2004

Re: quick-erect tents?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Jon,

Can only give an opinion on the Oztent as friends of ours have one and we have been camping with them a lot and it is sooooo quick and easy to put up as I have done it. We have a camper trailer now but used to have a huge big oztrail tent that took a huge amount of time to put up cause it was too big. I have also heard some really great things about Black Wolf tents and as a matter of fact I have not heard a bad word about them.
Not much help sorry but at least it's something. A few more will be online tomorrow and you should get some great advice on this forum as I have found it great.

Welcome to the forum Jon & looking forward to hearing what you find out.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jm2004 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi, thanks for the comments. Looks like nobody else has got the opportunity to try them out. Well, we'll share how we go if we end up buying one of those.
Best regards,
jm2004

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

jm2004 wrote:Hi, thanks for the comments. Looks like nobody else has got the opportunity to try them out. Well, we'll share how we go if we end up buying one of those.
Best regards,

That'd be great......thanks jm2004.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks Jon that would be great as it looks like it's one topic that hasn't been covered on here so a report on the pros and cons of the tents you look at would be great. And also why you purchased the one you did.

Good luck on your search.

Sorry I couldn't help much but the Oztents are really really good but very expensive.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jezzabel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:16 pm

We have a Black Wolf 300 Turbo Plus & love it!
Quick to erect, strong to keep out the rain and it's been tested in some heavy winds without a problem. Strong screens and doors as well. Cannot fault it.
After sales service is A1 too. A screw from a foot snapped off, they repaired and relaced our tent bag for us as well as aound the zipper was a little frayed (my fault for a sloopy fold up!)
I couldnt be happier. I did so much research and this fell within my budget very well.
jezzabel
Boy Scout

Postby karla c » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi All

Yes im also interested in the Turbo 300 tent which i am told is very easy to erect and that there are a range off accessories that can be added to make the tent larger. I called an online store as i want the item at a discounted price. They did advise me that the turbo tents are now being upgraded to the 2012 model and to wait for the new models which were due in a week or two.

http://www.leisuregear.com.au
karla c

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Hello Karla and WELCOME to the forum. May I ask....are you associated with leisuregear.com.au??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:17 pm

I almost bought the Coleman Instant 8 person tent today after I discovered that Amazon will ship to Australia. Would’ve cost me $330, including postage. $120 under the cheapest price I’ve seen in Oz. I got to the screen where I had to put in my credit card details. I hesitated. Went back to the reviews. There are quite a few saying the tent leaks. Even some of the 4-5 star reviewers mentioned heavy condensation on the inside of the tent. And I already knew that not having a fly or awning would make getting in and out in the rain a pain. So I decided that the rapid pitch system is not worth it being a pretty average wet weather tent. I don’t often go camping if heavy rain is forecast. But obviously I do get caught in the odd downpour. And I don’t want to have to deal with having to mop up the tent floor or making sure none of my stuff touches the sides. Or having to always close all the doors and windows at night in case it starts raining, which makes it a less than ideal tent for hot weather too.

So I've abandoned this idea. And I haven't found another rapid pitch tent that I like or can afford yet...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide