Newbie needs camp oven advice

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Newbie needs camp oven advice

Postby Brad M » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi guys,

I've had a look through the forums and can't find what I'm looking for, so apologies if it's in there already, but I need some advice on using our new 9 quart camp oven.

I would like to be able to do a beef roast with vegies when we go camping next time, but have never done one before and would like to do a test run in our backyard for practice, so I would be using heat beads instead of coals. My concerns are I basically don't know how long to cook the roast for in a camp oven and what I need to do to keep it from becoming a chunk of charcoal. Any tips on timings, temperatures, how to use heat beads, anything at all would be great.

The plan is to have by best mate and his family over for dinner as guinea pigs and use the camp oven in the back yard, so we can cook, eat and relax downstairs. The big issue is that my best mate and I are in constant competition to avoid dining fiascos when our families catch up for dinners. I will never live down my bbq sausage debarcle from 2004 and he will be forever tainted with his corn on the bbq disaster from 2007. So I can't get this wrong. My wife and I would like backyard camp oven roasts to become a regular thing, now that we are heading into summer.

Any advice or even better a step-by-step approach would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Brad
Brad M
Boy Scout

Re: Newbie needs camp oven advice

Postby Titch2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Roast beef and Vegies are a big call first up.
What fire pit are you using.
Heatbeads need to be somewhere.
What cut beef do you want to cook?
What brand of camp oven?
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Brad,

We only had roast beef and veg in ours 2 weekends ago and it was delicious.

We cooked our's in my hubby's new toy. This is the thread here: http://camping.com.au/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=6278&sid=3490aac9b35442106486764fab48a737

I had two blade roasts totally 2.5kg in our bigger campoven. I put a trivet on the bottom of the campoven to stop the meat sticking and burning. Also added some water and the all important ingredient "red wine"!!!!

We lit the fire about 2pm and put the meat on at about 3.30pm and we ate at probably (a few red wines and I loose track of time especially when hubby & his mates are cooking)...6.30pm to 7pm. If you keep checking it with a fork you shouldn't burn it!!!

We did all the veg in a smaller campoven as we were catering for about 12 people...we put the veg (peeled potatoes cut into quarters & pumkin) in foil with a bit of water in the bottom of the campoven so they were steamed not really roasted. We cooked the peas inside in the microwave and made gravy with gravy granules which are instant you just add boiling water and it was gorgeous. We put the veg on about 1.5hrs before we ate.

Not sure how you would do it with heatbeads as we have only ever done it over the campfire. Ours were also hanging just above the coals so that would make a bit of a difference. Just remember not to put in straight in the middle of the fire or it will burn, we usually put some to the side and sit the ovens on them.

The oven we used for our vegies was a 9 quart Oztrail.

The next morning hubby cooked the leftover veg & meat with tomatoes and onions and it was yummy on toast!!!!

Good luck & I look forward to hearing how it all goes. Doesnt sound like you guys have a great track record if you burn snags but you never know this may be your forte Brad.... :lol:

There is also a site which is specifically for campoven cooking....Derek used to be a member of this forum but I haven't seen him on here for ages..

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/

Again GOODLUCK!!!!!! :cheers :cheers :cheers
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 pm

You might also want to have a look at this thread Brad.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=4836&p=34308&hilit=camp+oven+cooking&sid=d8b4b066a1d90f33a7bd0bffb29bb37a#p34308

NOTE:

Have moved this topic to the General Chit Chat area where I think you should get greater exposure to your question and therefore more feedback.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Bradd....This was my 1st attempt at roast beef in our oven
1/......I learn't not to have it to hot on the top of the oven....unless the Beef was wrapped better in the tin foil
2/......I now put a cup or 2 of water in with it to stop drying out
3/......I put the veges in to late !!!
4/......I should have moved the ember back a little further.....pot gets dam hot...
5/.....A couple of beers with it makes it taste heaps better...lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rosco1 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Yummmm haven't had my lunch yet and now I'm feeling like roast beef!!! :***

Also forgot to mention Brad that we also put some coals on the lid when cooking on the campfire.

Have you done one on your new bbq/campfire thingo Rosco???? You know the that we both have that is stored in the hessian bag? That has hooks on it that you could hang a campoven on. I think you hang a kettle on yours?
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Brad M » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the great replies. I've found a lot of helpfull stuff on the links you supplied too.

The camp oven is a Wanderer from BCF. I was gonna get a Pioneer but for the amount of camping we'll be doing in the next few years I couldn't justify the difference in price. I've gotta give it another seasoning tonite.

Fortune favours the brave, so I think I should be right to give it a try this weekend. I've got an old bbq plate that will serve as the base for the debut camp oven experiment and I'll use heat bead numbers based on one of the calculators I found in one of those links.

So the plan is
- 1.2 kg Wagyu seasoned and flour coated rump roast
- 1 to 2 cups water/wine/oil in the bottom
- heat beads as per the calculator
- wife's secret seasoned chunky roast vegies to go in about 30 - 40 mins after the meat goes on. 30 mins after that, the parmesan garlic damper goes in. 30 - 40 mins later, a perfect camp oven dinner.

Hopefully it will all go well, the Broncos will win, we'll have a great feed, more than a few rums and my mate will have to keep his mouth shut.

If it all goes well I'll post some piccies on Monday.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brad
Brad M
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Don't forget the trivet in the bottom of the camp oven Brad.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes the trivet,most inportant. :+
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Yep XB.....The new set-up has had a couple of try-outs.........luv my new kettle as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Gee thanks for the photo Rosco BUT yes i remembeer the taste of your roast that night YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMm
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:Gee thanks for the photo Rosco BUT yes i remembeer the taste of your roast that night YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

Must be time for you guys to go camping again.....if you can get Rosco away from work of course!!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am

Good luck Brad!!!!

Gee I hope you don't burn it as that is one expensive piece of meat to start off with!!!!!

Yes go the Bronco's only wish Lockeyer was not injured and able to play in his last game. That guy is a true role model of sportsmanship & ability & a genuine nice guy. :?#

Hey Rosco it looks great.....very impressive.

Loving the lap warmer PJ....very cute xx
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat