New Zealand or Norfolk Island

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

New Zealand or Norfolk Island

Postby Titch2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Whats the thoughts on these destinations.
Norfolk with self contained and a hire car.
Or New Zealand with motorhome.
March or April 2012
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: New Zealand or Norfolk Island

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi Titch

Done both over the past couple of years. In 2009 we hired a van type of camper and drove around the North Island of NZ. Even caught a Bledisloe Cup game! Had a great time and it wasn't expensive with the exchange rate at the time. All of the campgrounds over there are set up quite nicely for campervans. Set up was simply back in and plug in to the 240V system and set up the bed! Most places had camp kitchens and laundries. The owners of the campsites were more than happy to have a chat and let you know what is worthwhile to see locally.

We went to Norfolk in July just gone. Its was cheap and cheerful. We had an apartment and car deal. The car is fairly necessary as there is no public transport, and not a lot in the main town... A friend from work suggested that the place was for 'newly weds' and 'nearly deads' and now that I have been there I think that is a pretty fair assessment. We were probably the youngest people there who had paid for their own airfares (and we are early 40s.)

Can't say I preferred one over the other. We had a great time at both, Norfolk we spent a lot of time doing organised tours and shows, in NZ we did our own thing.

Feel free to give me a shout if you want some more details.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby Titch2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks for the detailed reply.
cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:51 am

I would vote for NZ. I have never been to either but have rellies over the ditch and it looks like an amazing country!!!!

I thought Rosco would be full of info for you Titch????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 am

xmasbaby67 wrote:I would vote for NZ. I have never been to either but have rellies over the ditch and it looks like an amazing country!!!!

So did I.
maybe he's out playing the pokies :?
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:

Me too.....he must be working or something.....or maybe he is upset with you Titch!!
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

i actually have sent Titch some of the a/c's etc from the motorhome hire etc direct to him..... :beer

Plus....I was laying back,,,,interested to see what others wrote as my write would obviously be biast...Ay :beer

You have to decide wether its the cold snow capped mountains,ski-ing,lakes etc you want to see (bit cold for this old fella now-days)...but as a rule,,,that is what a number of tourists go to see.....excellent scenery....
I'm a North-Islander so a big part of our trips is visiting family......
I think Kev summed it up pretty well with his description of Norfolk (for old buggers & people who want to just relax)....
Camping in NZ as a rule leaves Aussie camps for dead (told you I was biast...lol)....BUT....Freedom camping is getting harder all the time....a problem where the bad have spoilt it for the good by leaving rubbish & waste when they move on......NOT TOLERATED.....The ''Clean-Green'' image with chrystal clear rivers & lakes is very important to Kiwi's....I warn you now.....There is a huge fine for leaving rubbish behind if caught....and they tag your passport so that the bill is paid ''before'' you can leave the country.

When traveling around in a motor-home,,,You are normally most welcome to ''park-up'' behind the RSA's (RSL's in Australia).....and you will find Kiwis are friendly towards AUSSIES.... X war bonds and all that stuff....plus they luv to rib you about beating you in Rugby....lol
Food.....on a par with Aussie prices
Petrol...seems dearer...but when you take the exchange rate into count its very similar.
Diesel is much cheaper than Aussie (Australia has the dearest Diesel of any country we have visited)
Accommodation....pretty similar but watch...many camps charge ''per person'' and not a couple....their reason is that there could be 3..4..or 5 of you and its easier to work out (alot of bull I reakon)

There is beautiful scenery in both Islands...unfortunately,,,,I think the South Island ''pips' the North

Good time to travel anywhere over seas at the moment while the Aussie Dollar is so high (We came close to picking a cruise for our holiday next year)...We book heaps in advance and get a long term & early p/ment discount (like 6 mths in advance...if you know what you want)

Kea campers are one of the most professional companies We have ever dealt with and would recommend them to any-one wishing to hire a Motor-home......on that note ...watch for Insurance... they take a deposit...and refund you when you return the camper if its all ok

Cheers for now :beer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Have to admit we didn't free camp at all while we were over there - we did use parks - it was cold and the camper had a heater that was 240V. Most night cost us between $25 and $30. In two weeks we manager to travel from Cape Renga (northern most point) to Cape Palliser (southern most point) on the North Island and called in on most of the major tourist attractions. The scenery is magnificent, but driving times were hard for us to estimate. 100km does not equal 1 bit over an hour over there... The is an amazing variety of things to see and do in NZ.

On Norfolk Island there is relaxing, taking in the scenery and going to the shows and tours. Its a small place - about 35 square kilometers. You can't camp and a drive from end to end takes about 15 minutes. There are plenty of themed tours which mainly have historical themes - a lot focus on the Bounty heritiage and history of the island. There are some amazing stories and varying views about the mutiny etc. We stayed for a week and between tours and doing things we had little time to spare.

I guess there is more variety in a visit to NZ. Norfolk is about Norfolk, it's history and culture, NZ has lots a bigger variety things to do on offer.
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations