Question for QLD'ers

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Question for QLD'ers

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:46 pm

It's quite possible that we will be moving to Bundaberg by the end of the year but before we do we need to do some research (obviously!).

So I am asking the QLD'ers from this site what they think about LIVING in Bundaberg? Holidaying is fine but you don't find out what living is there until you do it so I am hoping that some of you guys may have some insight into this city.

Also, for those who live closer, what do you think about St. Lukes Anglican School? It seems to be our choice for our 13 y/o son at present so am hoping there may be some of you who have had some dealings with this school.

FYI

It's a 50/50 chance that we will be moving but it seems to be getting stronger every day!

Thanks everyone!

Scol.

(PS. Thanks to Kramer for answering some questions last year about Bundaberg...we're now onto stage 2!).
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm

/me slaps scol

WTF you moving from WA for !
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:11 pm

have you seen Top Gear drive through Alabama?

here's the video >>http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU

well Bundaberg is like that.

So, you'll need a ute, you'll have to develop a alcohol problem, maybe even grow a mullet :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Wow, that's a big move! Sorry, but I'm not that knowledgable about Bundaberg. All I know is they have a good surf boat crew, and they make a mean rum!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:33 pm

bleh you can keep that sugar water the hell away from me.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:46 pm

So there must be surf on the coast near Bundy ... sounds good to me!

I'm with Komodo re. the rum ... it would just make me more silly than I am.

:--?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Bundy

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 pm

If you want surf coast you'll have to go to Fraser Island or up to Agnes Water area, but Agnes surf isn't real huge usually. Longboarders stuff I hear. Remember Fraser Island stretches from around Maryborough to just north of Bundy. Kind of cuts the surf down a bit. I don't know anything about the schools, we have friends whose daughter goes to Kepnoch SHS, a typical SHS I think. There are enough shops to keep everyone busy shopping who might want to. Coles, Bilo, Woolies, Kmart, Target, Aldi, Super IGA, etc. I'd be a bit wary of the hospital though ::() , gotta watch those doctors!! Lots of beautiful places to camp/day trip in the area, only 4-5 hours drive to Brisbane if you'd ever be mad enough to want to go there!! Don't think it has a super huge employment rate, so I hope you have a trade or profession, or hey, you might be a multi-millionaire self funded retiree! :armsup
We visit now and then as we have close friends there, and my parents live between Bundy and Agnes Water. Nice climate, good fishing, but probably not as nice as WA looks, but a lot closer to the rest of civilization if that's what you want to call it. I wouldn't mind living there, but I kind of like my job here in Rocky, and there is no mining industry in Bundy.
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Many, many, many thank you's GQ!

In regard to the surf ... not too bothered but then again my parents live at Hervey Bay so a few trips to Fraser Island may be needed to get the good stuff ... ;) ... I'm happy with 2 mtr swells so no probs for me (I'm getting old!).

In regard to your comment about "not as good as W.A. looks" I think anyone can take good photo's and the plae is what you make of it. I love it here but for a few good reasons we need to think about moving (the 'self funding retiree' bit).

Thanks once again!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:05 pm

meeky wrote:
So, you'll need a ute, you'll have to develop a alcohol problem, maybe even grow a mullet :lol:

Well I know he's got 1 out of 3 sorted :lol: ... just needs to trade the paj in for a pickup...... and maybe he already has a mullet I dont reall know :booty :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:17 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:

Well I know he's got 1 out of 3 sorted :lol: ... just needs to trade the paj in for a pickup...... and maybe he already has a mullet I dont reall know :booty :mrgreen:

1. = I drink too much beer
2. = I'll never trade the Paj
3. = I like crew cuts

:booty

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 am

meeky wrote:have you seen Top Gear drive through Alabama?

here's the video >>http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU

well Bundaberg is like that.

OK then meeky you have officially declared war :--? I come from Bundaberg and grew up there nice town, sorry there aren' too many hicks since I left and its quite a nice place as GQ said nowhere as much opportunity as say Gladstone or Rocky but all in all not too bad, I know there are the bad few like in all towns. But to advertise us like some down south hicks in America well................ :grin:

I moved to Gladstone for work and have never regretted it, I like it a lot better its smaller and has less unemployment which in turn creates a better lifestyle, if anyone wanted to know why I am not there now.

Back on topic I like Bundy cause its closer to bigger amenities ie- Brisbane, shopping and as GQ said easy day trips, but I have been travelling a lot lately to see the outlaws in Hervey Bay and it would also be well worth a look as its currently QLD's fastest growing town and is now bigger than Bundaberg with a few more work opportunities available now than there were a year ago if I were you scolers I would have a good look at Hervey Bay now as it seems to be going ahead a lot faster than Bundy :?
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks Kramer ... appreciate the input!

Part of the reason why we're looking at Bundaberg as opposed to HB is becuase the housing seems cheaper in Bundy. My parents have also moved there so I get a good report on the housing market. Having said that I might just check it out to make sure. ATM a 4x2 brick home on approx. 800m's is around the $280k mark whereas in Bundy the same price get's you a 3x1 brick home.

What subrubs would you suggest to either:

1. Stay away from, or
2. Try to buy.

Ta!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

bundy

Postby gqpatrol » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:39 pm

Prolly cause it's near a river, I would look to avoid what floods! :beer
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Re: bundy

Postby Scolers » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 am

gqpatrol wrote:Prolly cause it's near a river, I would look to avoid what floods! :beer

I've just come back from taking the dog for a walk and I was thinking the exact same thing!

So, suburbs on higher ground seems to be what we are looking fro then. Or as far from the river as practible.

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:26 pm

I won't comment on a public forum about which suburbs are better than others in case it gets me into trouble, I would look at higher ground it can flood easily there in places, the council will have flood plans you can look at. I f you find an area you like give me a PM and I can help I know Bundy like the back of my hand (I still read the Bundy paper everyday). If you go over for a visit tell me I will come down and show you around thats probably the best way so you can get a feel for the place before buying.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat