New dog

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

New dog

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:15 pm

We have a new dog. Our old one sadly died last July. So now I'm really keen to find out how the new dog likes camping. The old dog didn't particularly like it. She was a bit on anxious dog. She didn't like lying outside after dark. She went ballistic if there was thunder storm and would run off to hide somewhere. And would act scared sometimes for days after... But she was a very well-behaved and calm dog who usually just loved being near me. I didn't have to tie her up as she never wandered away from the campsite.

Our new dog, Banjo, is still a pup. About 10 mo. So far she doesn't seem scared of anything much - except for the garden hose. But I've only had her for 2 months, am still training her and she is just a totally different type of dog. She loves all people, kids and dogs. and she is very excitable. I will definitely be taking the stake and cable!

We'll be trying her out at Wee Jasper. Far less people there than at Mystery Bay where we intend to spend the Xmas holidays.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: New dog

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your old dog Lin :cry: If my memory serves me right wasn't your old dog similar looking to a wolfhound?????

What sort is your new one..... we would all love to see some pics of your new family member :+ :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:46 pm

She is "the bitsa special of the month". :lol:
user4321_pic4179_1316059574.jpg
user4321_pic4178_1316059574.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:36 am

Looks a sweetie,last time i went camping i took four dogs.It was after the floods and we were fostering from the local shelter,they all behaved and loved it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:17 am

Haha she looks lovely....those eyes!!! Looks like she will love camping. ::)

I love the black striping all over her. :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 am

Wow, you're brave JP, taking 4 dogs! When we move into our own home (next year!) I might start fostering dogs too.

I think the biggest problem with my dog is going to be to prevent her from running over to someone else's camp and jumping on someone's lap. She loves all people and dogs. And has a rather inappropriate way of showing it. We're working on it... We'll have to teach her some better manners before we go camping at the beach over Xmas. I really don't want her jumping up at everyone she meets at the beach, especially not kids! But we have another 2+ months, so hopefully by then I will have managed to teach her a better way of saying hello. I wouldn't like to have to keep her on the lead all the time.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Well, we road-tested Banjo camping at Mystery Bay during the busiest time of the year and she passed with flying colours. She turns out to be the ideal camping dog. She was so well behaved and she made many friends, both canine and human. She did tend to wander a bit, but she only visited those people nearby that were cool with her. And their dogs. Fortunately we had some great dog-loving neighbours who didn't mind sloppy dog kisses.

She was great at the beach too. Didn't run up to anyone. Happily ran through the shallow water, chased lots of seagulls and loved climbing rocks and swimming in rock pools with my daughter.

And she ended up being an awesome companion for my daughter there too. It's not always easy for the poor kid being an only child and not knowing any other kids there. But she took the dog with her if she went off by herself and it boosted her confidence.

I think the dog now has the post-camping blues. Home is very boring after staying at such a busy spot for a week. She'll be very happy to go back for Australia Day.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:53 pm

What a load off your mind Lin and great outcome too....Go Banjo.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:27 am

I think most dogs would rather be cmping then home,outside all the time,people going past chatting,having walkies all day..what a life. I have only ever been on one camp where people were asked to take their dog home and all the camp agreed that the owner constantly yelling and screaming at the dog and children was more the problem.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Most of the dog owners I met there this year were great. Their dogs were well-behaved and under control, so were allowed some freedom and had a great time.

But there's always some sad examples too when it's busy. People who tether their dogs (sometimes on a short leash even) for the whole duration of their stay, never seem to walk them and leave them alone all day at the campsite while they go do their own thing. It breaks my heart. And of course those are the dogs that start barking incessantly too and it's no wonder. My guess is they only take them because they can't/won't pay for kennel fees.

While I get real joy out of taking my dog camping with me and seeing her having a ball. And I have never left my dog at the campsite by herself. It means we cannot do some stuff we would otherwise do if there is no one to mind the dog, but it's a small price to pay.

I also love meeting all the other dogs. When we walked down to the beach I'd greet them all by name and have 'a chat' with them. :lol: My daughter was in heaven too with so many dogs to interact with.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Dogs are great little conversation starters.....they open many doors to communication.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping with Pets