Outdoor Connection Weekender Dome Tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Outdoor Connection Weekender Dome Tent

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:07 am

For 4 people, there are a few things you need to consider. One is easy access when there are mattresses in both rooms. Looks like that Duo tent has a seperate side door in the main room too, which is a nice feature.

I much prefer the shape of the Heron tent as the second room is truly a full-sized room, not just an annex. But it only has 2 doors. Still, you could have the kids in the back room - and they could still use the back door if they're old enough and need to go out by themselves - and use the front room yourself.

If you really want to be comfortable and don't mind taking up some more space, I would recommend one of those 3 room tents. Like this one: http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear ... 9-cv.aspx#

I've seen another Coleman tent similar to that that I liked better, but cannot find it now. Those tents would give you a room for the parents, one for the kids and that in between room for easy access in and out of the tent and for wet weather sitting/playing. The awning looks pretty useless like most of them. I'd highly recommend a tarp over or near the tent for rainy weather. I see Diamantina has a similar model, the Drysdale, but I would be worried about the lack of windows and doors for ventilation with that one. I hate not being able to cool the tent down quickly after a hot day.

I am a bit of a Coleman tent fan and I also just love, love, love looking at and talking about tents. :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Here's one for you Lin...... Coleman Montana 12 Deluxe CV

It would take ages to put up but it looks great and has heaps of room. You could stay in this tent for a couple of weeks. Love the big awning, but you would have to tarp over it as I don't think it would withstand much rain and wind.... But it is on sale at Kangaroo Tent City for $595 normally sells for $899!!!!.

Just thought I'd add to your Coleman dreams. :***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ZN-vgCg2w
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 pm

:lol: I don't need that much indoor space at all. We very rarely spend time inside the tent during the day. But it is nice to have some storage space and in the future my daughter may enjoy her own room.

I do always have to laugh at the number of people that can sleep in the tent according to the manufacterers. Who would ever put 12 people in this tent??? Who would ever want to put 12 people in any tent, really?! But imagine 12 people in there. They would all have to get in in the order their mattress is in. If they need to go out in the middle of the night, they have to climb over others. Awesome holiday that would be!

I don't know why manufacterers insists on keeping these unrealistic ratings. We all know that you need to half the number of people they say the tent is for.

And the other thing that keeps annoying with me every tent I look at: how on earth would that awning cope with any kind of rain? It would take 5 minutes of decent rain to make enough water pool in that middle section to make it sag considerably. And if not drained, it it would probably make the poles collapse eventually and you'd get this big pool of water come down all at once.

It's just something I don't get. They obviously go through so much effort to make sure water doesn't pool on the actual tent, but always overlook the awning. But to me the awning is especially important in the rain as I rely on it to keep the rain out of the tent even when the door is open. And I want to trust it to be stable and stay up even with lots of rain. Com'on tent makers: get with the program! :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:19 pm

:*** :*** Agree with you here Lin....

We had 5 of us sleeping in our 12man Oztrail tent and that was well enough for me!!!!!!

Yep someone needs to come up with an awning of substance and not just on the canvas tents.

Maybe we should start brainstorming here on the forum and see what we all come up with... :?# :?# :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

12 persons in a tent,baked beans and eggs for tea ::() ::() ::()
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:32 pm

how on earth would that awning cope with any kind of rain?

The answer is to ''Tarp'' nowdays Lyn......
And
The number of persons they mention when selling a tent i.e 12 persons.....is a measure they use to discribe the tent size..laying the persons side by side on the floor....it just gives you a rough idea of floor space......nothing gospil.

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:00 am

Yep how many times has the TARP subject came up for discussion,if you want protection from any weather regardless of whether it is rain,wind,sun,snow you MUST tarp there is no other answer..the awnings that come with these things make them look pretty and that`s it ,you may as well cut it off they are useless.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:47 am

See, there is no way I would put up a tarp if we are just camping for a couple of nights. I'm the only grown-up in our family so it's hard enough to do all the packing, the driving, the unpacking and setting up and organising the tent. All before dark so I can make dinner and we can still see what we eat.

It does not take me that incredibly long to set up my tarp (it always suprises me). But it's still too much effort for weekend trips. I'll only do it if we're camping for a week or more and even then, I would not do it if there was an alternative. If I had a proper awning, like on that Outdoor Connections tent, and we were just camping with the tow of us, I would not do it even for longer stays.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

I agree with you Lin about tarping just for a weekend.....

We never did when we had our tent for weekends or 1 or 2 nights but if it was say Easter for 4 nights we would but there is two grown ups to put it up....

I think the awning on the tent you like would be ok if the weather was nice but if it started to rain or become windy you could just batten down the hatches I suppose.

This is why I loooove canvas tents. We had a big one when we were kids and the fights our parents would have putting it up were hilarious.....but with our campertrailer now and the one we had before I loved being back under canvas and also you dont have all that noise like in a dome tent. I just found our dome tent really noisy even when the kids moved around in their swags at night, or you had a windy night (not like the one Titch mentioned :lol: ) and just getting in and out during the night it would drive me crazy. I find I sleep a lot more soundly under canvas......and that's not just because of the few reds I had before bed!!!! ;)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm

I just cannot use canvas because of the weight. I could handle a Turbo light, but it's far too basic for us and once you start adding bits and pieces to it, the weight also adds up and takes up too much space in the car too.

I don't have a towbar on my car so cannot get a camper trailer either.

From experience, that awning would hold up for quite a while in the rain if set up properly. It is the only one I've seen with a pole at the front to enable proper run off. The sides would be tricky to set up so water doesn't pool though. And I doubt very much that it would withstand heavy wind, but I found out the hard way that a tarp set up by me doesn't always either!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Ok ..rather than a big heavy tarp what a bout a small one say 5 metre square so you have some cover at the door.?? I too camp alone and yes a tarp is hard going but i always am glad i bothered..and yes Lin i don`t have a little one either so you have lots to get organised before dark.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't think I've ever been camping and there hasn't been some-one around that is just to happy to help....
Being a lady.....should make it even easier to get help :grin: :grin: :grin:
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am

Rosco1 wrote:Don't think I've ever been camping and there hasn't been some-one around that is just to happy to help....
Being a lady.....should make it even easier to get help :grin: :grin: :grin:

There is no way I would get a tent that would make me rely on others' help! Apart from being too proud and independent, I very often set up the tent when there are no other people around at all. Apart from over Xmas, pretty much all of our camping trips are to quiet places where there are no immediate neighbours.

Plus, I did once allow a male friend to help me with setting up the tent and I spent the next 2 days "fixing it" as he had not set it up to my standards at all. :lol:

I wish there was a place where you could hire a variety of tents to try them out. I found one that hires out Turbo tents. But none that offer you any choice in type of tent. I reckon there's a market in that! They are expensive equipment and you only know if it really suits your needs after you've tried it out for at least one day and night.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Maybe I should wait and choose canvas... But I'd still want to go for an Outdoor Connections one, I think! http://www.outdoorconnection.com.au/ten ... ourer-tent They just seem to put more thought into their designs.

Only, I cannot find how much it weights. I would be ok with going up to 24ish kilos. I'm pretty sure my Black Wolf Mojave weighs 18 or close to that. And if it can be packed in separate bags, that would be even better.

I actually found a place selling them for $500. So not that much more than the Heron.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Lin THat is my exact tent, they weigh 14 kilos,I used to lift it up on my roof rack with no trouble at all ,i love it the only gripe i have is the front door zip broke after only the 3rd camp but it was still under warranty so no prob. I have been in some fairly heavy rain more than once and all inside the tent was bone dry BUT i do always tarp.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide