the forum has moved

the forum has moved

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 am

Some of you may note the forum has moved to http://www.caravan-parks.org. If you have it in your favorites or use a short-cut of some kind this will have to be updated. You will find links to the forum from the http://www.camping.com.au website.

We have also added Google ads, after 15 years of free service we decided to attempt to mitigate some of the running costs. Unfortunately we do not have control over the ads that appear. This is based on our content, key words in the forum/site and as I understand it the users location and preferences. Part of the idea of changing the url of the site was to attempt to make the ads more relevant however this does not seem to make much of a difference.

Anyway please find the forum at http://www.caravan-parks.org, it may take a while for users to find it again so it will be slower for a while but should pick up. Sorry about the ads but if we can generate some revenue from the clicks we can use it to upgrade the forum.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: the forum has moved

Postby sienna » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Ah that's why I couldn't find it. My link needs to be updated.
Is there a way to somehow put a note or a redirection from the old address? It was only dumb luck that I found the site again. Would be a shame to lose people after it seems that we have been really busy lately.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Activity_Dept » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 pm

The http://www.camping.com.au site has links to the forum on every page, see the "Caravan and camping forum" link. Yes it is unfortunate that it will take a while to get the numbers back up however I believe it will be better in the long run.

I will try and do something about these annoying dating ads though.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:13 am

Maybe putting the link at the top of the page will help with numbers.....

I only happened by luck to find the link down the bottom of the page.

I know it's out of your control but we would get so many more ad clicks if they were to do with camping....wonder why if it's based on content & keywords we are getting these totally random ads? And it's not just the dating ads, it's TV's, buying a website & horseriding ones etc that we dont even discuss here.....if anything we should be getting heaps of ads about hillbillys and tents... :*** :*** :*** :*** :***

Maybe if we were told a few keywords to put in our topic names(eg: camping, tents etc) they might start to change...... worth a try.

Good luck.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:10 am

agreed with putting the link in a more prominent place. I thought the forum was gone and was about to go looking for alternatives when I knocked my mouse (logitech mx5500) and the crazy super scroll took me to the bottom of the page where the link is.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Komodo wrote:agreed with putting the link in a more prominent place. I thought the forum was gone and was about to go looking for alternatives when I knocked my mouse (logitech mx5500) and the crazy super scroll took me to the bottom of the page where the link is.

WELCOME back Komodo.....long time not chat with you. How's life been treating you and what have you been up to??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:15 am

I will probably be shot down for this, but i'm going to say it anyway.

The camping.com.au homepage does nothing for this forum, its ugly and unreadable and really has nothing to do with the forum apart from a small link. It is a waste of a webpage, especially when you get taken away from camping.com.au to caravan-parks.org, why not make the forum the main page of camping.com.au? get rid of the generic graphics at the top with the trees and blue skies and use an Aussie photo, i'm more than happy to supply a photo to use for that and happy to make graphics too.

Lets try and get camping.com.au THE place to go for all you want to know about camping, with reviews of products and places etc.

Lets face it, we get alot of visitors but no stayers and with the new camping.com.au homepage the numbers will drop dramatically and it will be more of a ghost town. Yes i know its provided free to us and i should be greatful etc but i wouldnt be a good member of the forum unless i spoke up about it.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Well said Josh....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Great idea Josh....I agree
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 pm

Instead of having to use google ads to post useless ads on here, we can make it look so good we get companies asking to advertise on here, lets face it... there are about 10 of us who still post on here, when i first joined up there were heaps more people on here, i think changing who the forum is with could also be an improvement, cant stay logged in, cant post all the time and i get errors when i do post sometimes.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Welcome back Komodo!!!!!

I agree Woodsy.....I think it's dying a slow death with very little traffic and it was just starting to get really busy before the changes......
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 am

Yes the points are well received. However here are some facts:
The site is 15 years old - we have asked hundreds of companies to advertise over this period - none have.
We paid to have the site redesigned to get parks to advertise - none did.
We tried to raise revenue by making it more social - everyone complained no revenue was earned.
We tried adding banners from related affiliate sites - we were never paid.
We sold books for camps Australia they never paid us and instead set-up a competing site.
We added google banners (content of which we cannot control) we earned a few dollars a day.
We change from a $100,000 site to a site I built in 4 hours and our revenue went up significantly.

Over the 15 years the forum has been busy 2 - 3 times. Each time it was taken over by people who felt they could do it better and recruited our members across to their forum. All failed but each time we lost our core members. For the last 2 - 3 years it has struggled despite having reasonable traffic.

Without the support of a magazine or some media company or group members are hard to build; less then .05% of people who come to the site actually sign-up. It is a repository for info some contribute most don't.

I have tried many different things over the 15 years and I have learned a lot about the internet, people and this business. I have not given up on the camping site but I can say after 15 years and thousands of dollars it is not something I can continue to fund without some form of revenue.

I find it a little ironic that a $100 site earns more then a $100,000 site but hey the internet is a funny place.

So I hear what you say and if anyone wants to put down the $100k or so to get to the 700 unique visitors a day coming to the site then best of luck but for this forum it is going to have to earn its keep for a while before the next upgrade. That does not mean I do not appreciate your constructive comments and yes even the criticism.

PS- if you really want to help click on a few ads now and again and ad 10 cents a day to the cause.
:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Woodsy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks for getting back to us Admin, We understand that it is hard to keep a website up and running when there is no money coming in, i am in the middle of designing a website for a mates business, its not easy and i get lots of ideas popping through my head and am always changing my design. I'm happy to play with a design for the homepage for Free, i've been on the website for a long time and am happy to help get it up to standard where we have a website that is packed full of people and people who keep coming back and posting. I work at Rays outdoors, i'll ask the manager if i can put something up to help get some visitors or promote the website verbally.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Is there any chance that the ''The admin guy'' can have a look at why the ''Auto Login'' isn't working ????

Cheers & Thanks

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback Admin Guy. :?#

It's great to hear all that stuff so then we know how it all goes down. I will click on some ads to help the revenue.

Just another thought.....what about approaching some camping mags like:
On the road, which have a website,

http://www.ontheroad.com.au/

Go camping magazine or the Great Australian Doorstep;

http://season3.greataustraliandoorstep.com.au/index.php?option=com_magazine&view=list&Itemid=40

Just another thought to throw in the pot.....hope it all helps and we are not driving you mad but in the end we all want this forum to suceed for everyone. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to USA