Hello again!!!!

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Hello again!!!!

Postby Soren G » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:43 am

Hi folks,
I know,I have been away for a while (and I do feel bad about it)but I went through quite a roller coaster-phase:we have moved to another city and work (private as well as job-wise) have kept me very busy.
Now to the real exiting news:I was able to convince my wife that Australia is a better place for us to live!So,this is my public announcement,that we will try to migrate to your beautiful country as soon,as we can.
It will be Perth/greater area of..and I would appreciate any info on Pert/WA regarding....well,anything!Housing,jobs (I am Automotive mechanic with a background in European and US cars/trucks) and general cost of living and so on...
We plan to get "over there" in summer of 2012 (School is out in Canada in July and it starts in Australia in February,right?).I don´t know how fast the process is,but hope for the best.
So,hoping for some replies and input.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Re: Hello again!!!!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:36 am

Of course Australia is the best place to live, there are a couple of WA people on here so hope you get an answer.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:34 pm

So,here another question:I bought a new (used) truck:a 97´Chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.5 liter Diesel and here lays the problem:I intend to have my camper and truck shipped over,so we are mobile and have a temporary home for the time being.I researched American trucks in OZ but found all but gasoline (patrol) equipped ones.According to a work mate of mine,GM Diesel didn´t make emissions and were never sold there....can I still bring my truck?It would really hurt to leave it behind

Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Titch2 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:26 pm

A competent Motor Mechanic will have no trouble getting work in Australia.
Welcome back to the forum.
I think your truck will need to meet Australian emmission conditions,but thats not Gospel.
Check with Western Australia motor vehicle Authority.
Cheers.
Titch
Last edited by Titch2 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:27 pm

From what I have been told Soren, you will have no problems bringing it in as it is not a new vehicle to sell but rather a second hand vehicle for your private use.

We have both PETROL and DIESEL Chevy's here in Australia so no issue there.

WELCOME back to the forum, glad you finally managed to talk the wife into coming here to live.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Soren G » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info,you two.
Does anyone know how the pension system works?Do employer offer private pension plans (as substitute to gov´t pensions),or is the gov´t pension enough?haven´t read any of that in the job offers I have seen.
Stupid question:Aussies are said to be relaxed people (at work and private),is that true?
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:30 pm

We have Superannuation which is contributed to by both employer and employee but no employer paid pensions that I am aware of.

Can't generalize re relaxed aussies both at work and play....I have worked for some real control freaks but we are pretty laid back when not at work....for sure.

I doubt there are too many pensioners who will say the govt pension is 'enough' but they make do with what they have. Some seem to fare ok but others struggle.

My advice is to sink whatever funds you can into your Super.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:56 am

Here is a basic ida of super,bit like the paid in pension scheme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superannua ... _Australia
You do have to have to have your own medical fund ,the employer does not contribute.
The Govt free medical is ok but takes a long time .
No one goes without medical ,unlike the USA but it can take years.
The Auto trade is all go, not layback at all.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Soren G » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks again,very informative!
I have to specify "relaxed"...how can I put it?well,I didn´t mean "layed back" or lazy but rather...how to cut this?OK,let me explain in a straight language:Canada has a very aggressive work-culture,very similar to the US.The "F bomb" is dropped permanently and there are very low barriers to "go off" on a work mate.Pressure is applied in an irrational way (from my point of view as European),trying to make a very inefficient (work) system perform.
I don´t want to give the impression that I am "over sensitive" cause I am not ( I have worked in the construction industry in Germany for years,before I started my automotive carrier and the tone of voice in construction is rougher) but I have never experienced such a willingness to verbally kick somebody's butt or push somebody´s self esteem down.
This is one of the reasons that Canada has such a problem to fill it´s trades openings (many trades people leave this sooner or later and young people don´t want to keep up with it either),but that isn´t something Canadians tell immigrants and they most likely aren´t even really aware of it (blinder attitude).I hope that Australians are more like Europeans,at least it appears to me to be that way.

Regarding the health insurance:what you tell me Titch,is similar to Saskatchewan-gov´t health insurance and private drug and dental coverage (even though,here the employer pays half but that´s not a hold off).How does the dental coverage work?Do yiou have to pay "up front" and have to claim your expense with your insurance later?
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Soren.....I've been reading the entries on this topic over the last couple of weeks wondering how you were progressing with your Immigration Application...Re----

we will try to migrate to your beautiful country as soon,as we can.

From what I've heard from different people I have meet both,,,,on the Net....and in person.....Its not quite that easy to enter Australia as they thought it may have been.

let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:26 am

Well,Rosco,migration is a difficult process,but it is far from hopeless or (near) impossible.It took me from march 2006,when I went to a job fair for Canada in Germany,to August 2006 when I set step on Canadian soil.The visa I was using ("young worker for people up to 35)is unfortunately no option for Australia (holly day visa,up to 30 years of age) but there are still ways to get "in" within a year.I am looking at a State sponsorship from WA,since it is a bit difficult to get a job offer from an Australian employer (there was a job fair in Edmonton in May,but I didn´t knew about it and missed it).At the moment,I gathering info on what I need to get together in order to lodge my application for sponsorship.
Chers Gernod
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Welcome back Gernod !!!!!! :cheers

We have a business in the constuction industry in a small town and yep the guys swear but are generally pretty nice to each other. Some trades in OZ at the moment are having trouble getting skilled workers so I dont think finding a job should be too hard especially if you have qualifications. Hopefully you will find a sponsor employer quickly.

Good luck with the process and it's great to see that your wife has seen the light!!!!!!!

Looking forward to hearing how it all goes....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Soren G » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks XB!Good to hear that.
Yeah,I hope my automotive trade will bring me employment over there.
Another question:I´ve read that asphalt shingles are being used now in OZ as well and do you built houses from lumber?I am asking because I own a Bostich roofing and framing nailer,both where quite expensive and selling them isn´t really appealing to me.So,if anyone knows,I would appreciate some info on that.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Hello Soren,

I have not heard the term lumber for a long time. Its timber over here and don't even think of calling them 2 x 4's... Anyway nope we rarely use asphalt tiles so your gun will be all but useless here. Corrugated iron (colorbond) or cement tiles are pretty much the go here. Plenty of work out here for a chippy (carpenter) though. Good luck with the trip.
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby Soren G » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks,that is already very help full!
Yeah,sorry for asking so many questions,but it´s not easy to get "insider info´s" on another country.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat