Camping at Katoomba

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camping at Katoomba

Postby Drax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Guys,
A few weeks ago I had a job interview in Sydney. So I decided to take some time off and drive all the way from Melbourne to Sydney in 1 day and camp at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains.

My wife couldn't bear to miss out on camping in the, Blue Mountains so the wife and 2 kids came along as well and we stayed at the Katoomba caravan park. It took 13 hours to drive to our destination. Along the way my neck became very sore on one side and I seemed to have a small lump. At this point in time I started wondering if I had the mumps! I've never seen the mumps before, I haven't had it and I don't think I have been vaccinated for it. Being a typical male I decided to ignore it and it went away after a day or two.

As we drove along the Hume we came across a few points of interest. My wife pointed to sign that said, "Belango State Forest" she thought it sounded familar but couldn't think why. When I told her about she didn't want to see it again. We also came to Gundagai and my wife wanted to see the dog on the tucker box. I had to point out to her that it wasn't in Gundagai, but somewhere nearby.

We left Melbourne in the dark, travelled all day and arrive at Katoomba in the dark.
Across the road from the caravan park are some good walks and great views of waterfalls and the Three Sisters (at night the Three Sisters look out is lighted). I took the kids for a 2.5 hour walk down to the bottom of the water fall and to the bottom of the zig zag railway. The kids loved the walk, but the steps got too steep for my 3 year old boy Oliver to make it to the railway. I later discovered we only made it about half way. My 6 year old daughter Nyssa saw a picture of a Lyre bird and she said she wanted to see one. I pointed out that it was just a logo and it didn't mean they were around. About 10 mins later we saw one in the middle of the path.

While I was at the job interview, my wife took the kids on the sky rail. Nyssa loved it, but I doubt that Oliver will go anywhere near it again. What I found amazing was the view I got from the train while travelling into Sydney. I never noticed when driving in the car, but the train is raised and the view between Katoomba and Penrith is great.

We packed our tent in the dark. 14 hour trip home. Must get a dvd player for the kids next time!
Kids didn't want to go home.
Drax
Boy Scout

Re: Camping at Katoomba

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 am

Sounds like it was a great trip Drax with some great memories and experiences along the way.

Let us know how you fared with the job interview.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 pm

Sounds like a great trip Drax. Glad to hear the kids loved it. Thanks for sharing.

We are pretty lucky as all three of our kids have done school excursions to the Blue Mountains and got to go on the skyrail, train,art galleries etc and absolutely loved it. We have also taken them there but never camped.

We would love to camp at Newnes one weekend which is near there and has a glow worm tunnel.

Good luck with the job. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Drax » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi XMasBaby67,
I've never heard of Newes before. The glow worm tunnel sounds very interesting.
It's now on my list of things to do.

Thanks!
Drax
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Yes it is great there want to go back but doggies are not welcome there..:(
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Drax » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:51 am

I got the job in Sydney! :grin:
Now I just need to:
- find a place to live (looking at the central coast)
- sell my current house
- downsize our house contents (have a 4 bedroom house with rumpus and double garage, probably rent a 3 bedroom house with a carport)
- move our stuff
- find school and kinder for the kids
- give up our dog :( (too hard to find a place to rent with pets)
- look up hospitals (expecting a baby in May)
- get hit by the wife for forgetting something
- manage Christmas amongst all the confusion
Drax
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Holy Cow Drax that is some list of things to do that you have........

Where in Sydney are you going to be working?????

Very expensive city to live in but beautiful.

Congratulations on the job!!!! :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat