not sure what to get

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

not sure what to get

Postby Milo m » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

my head hurts from all this research im doing..
tossing up between an oztent or a camper trailer
i have a little mazda 2 (2004 model) so what i can tow is limited

looking at this camper trailer

http://kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page43.php#Kangaroo_Camper_6

and oztent
I like the idea of a quick set up, as im not a very agile guy..
http://au.oztent.com/Oztent-Shop/

the camper trailer is a lot more than what i can afford right now,
im kind leaning towards the oztent, but wonder what its like in these and camper trailers during a heavy storm, and if we get hail etc..

ill be only staying at caravan parks.. doing trips here and there and eventually around australia..
any thoughts

milo
Milo m

Re: not sure what to get

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Milo, my concerns with the Oztent are the folded size....it is still 2 metres long and weighs about 20kgs from memory. Can you fit that in your little Mazda??

Re purchasing a CT.....I would go for a small lightweight CT just for yourself......so many of them are quite big now as the market is usually aimed at the family.

Spend some time going around the CT manufacturers having a look at what they have and make a point of getting them to let you put one of you choice up and down and see how you handle it.

Don't forget to find out the tow capacity of your little Mazda before you start shopping. You'll need to look at ATM and ball weight as well.

My next suggestion is to buy an older second hand Aussie Swag or Cub camper, a hard floor one which are very easy to erect and pack up. You can still pick the older ones up quite cheaply and if you find down the track it is not for you, you'll get your money back on it with resale.

Another possibility is a motorbike CT, they are quite small and lightweight and still with a full size bed etc.

Have a look on Gumtree and here as well http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

Milo I hear ya..I had the same deliema as i had a Hyundai getz,I eneded up with a Rhino roof rack and basket which i fitted a surprisingly amount of stuff in,the tent 2 big tarps,fold up chairs,blankets/sleeping bags,tent wise i got a Tanbar Tourer,only me BUT 3 dogs it was easy to put up very durable.It weighed 14 kilos.I researched many camp trailers and there are lots of light weight ones available,people kept telling me don`t tow on a small car but i have seen MANY small cars now towing trailers, Gypsy even sent me a photo of Hyundai getz with roof rack and towing a trailer..after many camps where it rained i got sick of packing wet tents tarps etc so upgraded my car to a van which i sleep in and just tarp over the top..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 am

:hello: Welcome to the forum Milo...

Our friends have had an Oztent for over 6 years now and have done a fair bit of camping in it (mainly bush camping) and they love it. We camped with them last year at Mallacoota and saw them put it up and my friend has back problems but she was fine, just had to get her hubby to hammer the pegs in. They have a little pod trailer that they tow with all their camping stuff in it. We had a couple of really windy and rainy days while at Mallacoota and being right on the water made it quite bad but their Oztent held up as well as our Customline CT. We hung out in our annexe and played cards while the weather was bad as we couldn't all fit in their Oztent... :lol: :lol:

Here is a pic of both tent and CT from behind at Mallacoota.

Also we knew people that bought one of the CT's you mentioned from Kangaroo Tent City and I didn't like it at all.... The way the poles sit in a pocket sewn to the floor was one thing I didn't like and how the poles were at an angle was another thing I didn't like. The poles also encroached across the tent door. Also they are made from Chinese canvas.
We helped them put it up for the first time in their backyard and it took us ages to work out how to put the stupid thing up and had to keep going to the computer to look at pictures of ones set up on the internet as we just couldn't work out how it all stayed upright. The written instructions were gobbledygook....and no pics either.

Good luck with your search and look forward to hearing how you get on and what you decide on doing.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide