Deep Creek Conservation Park

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Deep Creek Conservation Park

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:00 pm

My favourite camping spot within about 1.5 hours from Adelaide would have to be Deep Creek Conservation Park. I have been there several times in the last year and done many of the bush walks along the Heysen trail and others.

With the purchase of a 4WD last week it enabled us on the weekend to check out Blowhole Beach which is at the end of a 4WD only track. While the track wouldn't be considered a challenging 4WD track it certainly was spectacular, as you come out the scrub down a steep descent with deep gullies on each side you find yourself about 400 metres above the ocean with spectacular views of Kangaroo Island as you drive around the bend there is a scenic lookout carpark where we stopped and took in the views of Kangaroo Island and Blowhole Beach. As we looked around we spotted kangaroos all through the scrub lazing in the shade of the small trees, then we spotted a pod of Dolphins cruising along the entrance to the cove.

We then jumped back in to the car and drove down to the Blowhole Beach carpark, from there you need to walk approximately 100 metres downhill to the beach.

Once on the beach we spotted a Kangaroo having a drink from the creek that isn't quite running into the sea at the moment. On Saturday it was 42 degrees at most places in South Australia and after the walk down I couldn't wait to go in the crystal clear waters. After I waded out to about waist deep water I couldn't believe how many fish were in the water just a metre in front of me, then I looked at one of the gently rolling waves coming toward me and the entire wave was made up of fish with the sun reflecting of their bodies, everywhere I looked the entire water was teaming with fish. Most of the fish appeared to be Tommy Ruffs about 20 cm in length but there were definately other species about as well but unfortunately I had no goggles to get a good look. While we were there a guy was casting out a lure and caught a silver whiting and a Salmon Trout.

Chatting to a few people at the beach they said that the snorkeling along the opening to the cove was great and some young fellows with snorkeling gear climbed over the rocks to the next cove which apparently is pretty good also. There were a few backpackers from overseas who said this was the best beach they had ever been to. While I'm not sure if this is the best beach I've ever been to, I would have to rate it in the top 5 in South Australia and liked it so much I'm going back for more this weekend but this time with my fishing rod and some snorkelling gear.

Here's a picture of the Blowhole Beach:

This picture shows Kangaroo Island in the background:

Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Great report!

Thanks Bill!

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:16 pm

Went down to Deep Creek again this weekend and camped at Stringybark campsite. Chose this campsite as it's the only one with showers and is by far the most sheltered of all the sites. The campground has a huge abundance of wildlife with kangaroos everywhere and many different varieties of birds. There is a sign at the toilet block explaining not to feed the animals because they may become reliant on it, it may make them ill or they may become pests. Well it's obvious from the kookaburras and magpies people have been feeding them as while cooking a barbeque we were swooped many times by a kookaburra trying to steal a snag and eventually landed on the sizzling hot plate to steel a rib. The magpies weren't much better as they confidently walked through our camp in search of a scrap while we ate.

Woke up in the swag about 6 am Sunday morning to the chirping of hundreds of birds that were zooming through the tree tops, groups of kangaroos were also moving through the campsite, you really felt like you were in the middle of mother nature, you can imagine how much the kids loved it, it was a great experience.

The weather conditions were much different this weekend and the Blowhole Beach which felt like paradise the week before now had the wind blowing right on to the beach and the previously calm almost lagoon feeling was nowhere to be seen, having said that, we had the beach to ourselves and our friends thought it was a great beach, if only they had seen it the week before.

Here's some more pictures:

Stringybark campsite.

Stringybark toilet block.

Pesky kookaburra.

Here I climbed the rocks at Blowhole Beach, this pictures gives you an idea of how different the water looked from the previous week.

Last edited by Fingerbone Bill on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Postby gqpatrol » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:49 pm

Looks great! :?#
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:10 pm

What Camper van is that ,... a Jayco?

Howe do you find them?

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Fingerbone Bill » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:33 am

Scolers wrote:What Camper van is that ,... a Jayco?

Howe do you find them?

Scol.

Yeah it's definately a Jayco, I think it's a Jayco Finch, it's actually my brother in-laws and I think he found it in the Trading Post. I'll find out the exact details including cost. :grin:
Fingerbone Bill
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:53 am

Just cost and age but no need to go to a great deal of trouble.

We're after something similar (preferabley in the Outback' range) but probbaly won't get anyhting until we move to Bundy (assuming the house sells .. :shock: )

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Kramer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 am

Actually Scolers i have 2 friends in Bundy with them if you want to have a real good look at them, they seem quite good they have both been taken up to cape york without any dramas.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby Scolers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am

Kramer wrote:Actually Scolers i have 2 friends in Bundy with them if you want to have a real good look at them, they seem quite good they have both been taken up to cape york without any dramas.

BEAUTY!!!

Actually I know what they are like etc. I'm now hunting down deals ... hope they ahve a few in QLD ... W.A. one's are quite expensive for 2nd hand ones.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to Camping Tips and Locations