Camper Trailer Water Tank

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Postby bushcamper » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:39 am

I use this set up with male click fittings on the inlet and outlet.

http://www.waterfilterworld.com.au/cata ... ucts_id=33

Cheap and has been doing a good job for us for around 12 years

I think this is a pretty good deal; I buy my filters off ebay......... no problems so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Water-Filter-Pur ... dZViewItem

:grin:

We always carry the filters and hoses(one long and one short) in the CT joined together to keep the dust and bugs out.

I've seen garden hoses used for draining water beds and septic overflow.......not a problem unless you drink out of it later. :shock:
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:15 pm

Great thanks for that! Just checking I get it, you attach it between the mains tap and the hose for the water tank when you are actually filling the tank up? So it's not actually installed anywhere?

We just went away for the weekend and drank so much water, which is great but I had to lug it along and then buy even more when we ran out, too expensive and such a pain, you could of just solved my problems!

Thanks for your help! :grin:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Went to Bunnings today and bought a drinking water hose - 10 metres for $19.95. It's a very light blue in color.

When I picked the camper up the other day the guys at camel told me never to leave water stored in the tank if not using it as water goes stale. If you dont get to drain it they said to add a few teaspoons of bicarb soda to the tank, take it for a drive so it sloshes around, drain and fill with fresh water.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:36 pm

What about the inline filter made especially for a caravan. I am thinking of putting one of these on the line between my tank and water pump.

Here is a link to one on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-CARAVAN-WATE ... dZViewItem

Any thoughts.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby bushcamper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:37 am

No I don’t have the filters installed but many do. I connect the long hose (8m) to the tap then the filters at the other end with a short hose
(2m) coming off the filter outlet to fill the tank or jerry cans.

I like to have the filters as close to the storage containers as possible. I don’t think it would really make much difference where the filters go but I’ve always done it that way.

I use dual filters so I can have a sediment filter first to trap the larger stuff and then a carbon filter for the smaller stuff and to improve the taste. You could get away with just the carbon filter but if you struck some dirty water it would block up quickly.

There are lots of choices out there. :grin:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1
Last edited by bushcamper on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:38 pm

It is really interesting, something we have to do I think. What about just using a jug filter?? As I am thinking there would still be residual bits in the water tank on the trailer?? Guess it's just choice?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:49 pm

mummeee74 wrote:It is really interesting, something we have to do I think. What about just using a jug filter?? As I am thinking there would still be residual bits in the water tank on the trailer?? Guess it's just choice?

That is why I am putting my inline filter between the water tank and the tap.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Sorry I thought you meant the mains tap :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby bushcamper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 pm

So did I :grin:
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby mummeee74 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:13 am

Derek is your pump on your water tank motorised? I am wondering if a filter on my setup which is a manual pump would actually work (between the storage and the outlet), it's hard enough getting the water out now.
Thanks
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:14 pm

It's manual and the water really flows out. I dont see that the filter will make that much difference.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 pm

The problem seems to be with new hoses. If you have a garden hose thats done several years service then the toxins have been flushed out. If you use a newish hose it puts a taint to the water and you need to flush the tank with a cleanser then then more fresh water. Start with the white food grade hose in the first place and you'll have no problems.
I got caught out :--?
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Scolers » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:The problem seems to be with new hoses. If you have a garden hose thats done several years service then the toxins have been flushed out. If you use a newish hose it puts a taint to the water and you need to flush the tank with a cleanser then then more fresh water. Start with the white food grade hose in the first place and you'll have no problems.
I got caught out :--?

THANK YOU

:?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

water tanks

Postby dazsteve » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:17 pm

Have just taken our jayco away off road for first time and used the water tank..My oh my the water was revolting...Asked around and yes we must fill with the white water hose...A lesson well learnt but was also wondering wether it is necessary to put some purifyer onto jug before we drink water that has potentially been sitting in tank for some time?? any hints appreciated..Heading off around Aus in 2 months and looking forward to it
Danielle
dazsteve

Water Tank

Postby paps » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 pm

The garden hose flavor made an interesting coffee. Just wondering was is considered safe for storing the water. We have one of the blue water hoses from Bunnings. If we fill the tank (85 Litres) is a week considered a normal/safe time frame for storing??

Cheers
Ben
paps
Camping King

PreviousNext

Return to Camper Trailers