Advice on quick erect tents - 4 man tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Advice on quick erect tents - 4 man tents

Postby Richard E1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi, The seam on this tent has been incorrectly finished, it is twisted and that's why it leaks.
The main amount of water came in because the wind flaps the window covering back and forth thus actually sucking the water that is running off the top into the tent.
It's just a bad design all round.
I'm glad we had the option to go into a cabin, the other option was to come home.
I'll be using this tent only when I'm positive it's going to be dry, but as you know we can get 4 seasons in one day in Melbourne!
Richard E1
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Richard E1 wrote:I'll be using this tent only when I'm positive it's going to be dry, but as you know we can get 4 seasons in one day in Melbourne!

Put a tarp over and then you'll have no problems at all Richard.....problem will be solved.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Richard E1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 pm

I suppose I could have packed a lightweight tarp and draped it over the top and fixed up some guy ropes and pegs and it may have helped, but sort of takes away from the idea of having this sort of tent, what it has to have is a proper fly made for it.
Richard E1
Boy Scout

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 pm

I totally understand Richard.... such a shame though as it looked the bees knees.

Our friends have an Oztent (which is considerably more expensive) but I have seen it withstand some big storms with not a drop inside the tent.

Maybe Coleman need to have a good look at their design and have a big re-think..
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm

But the Oztent is canvas and this Coleman tent is not. They claim it is made out of a thicker version of the usual dome tent fabric (whatever that is called) that is supposedly waterproof.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Yes I know its canvas but most dome tents are poly and are waterproof.....

I was more referring to the tent design. They just need a bit of a rethink maybe to avoid these types of things happening.

Like if it was better designed so that the rain from the tent roof didn't get sucked into the windows. Maybe they need to test their prototypes in heavy rain and wind and see how they go and work on it from there.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:57 am

Have to agree with Gypsy,I don`t care how good a tent you buy,they are not a house and if you get bad weather the majority will give you one problem or another,TARP TARP TARP TARP AND MORE TARP..yes it adds more time but i have been in almost cyclonic weather in my tent with my tarp and came out dry as a bone.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:15 am

I have camped in torrential rain in a few different dome tents without a tarp and the only one that ever leaked was one of which the poles were broken so the fly touched the inner tent.

So I do expect a tent to stay waterproof in any weather, without the need for a tarp.

My old Coleman tent will also cope with pretty strong wind without guy ropes. So I was grumpy when I discovered my newer Black Wolf flattened in only moderate winds. But that I can live with. Leaking tents I cannot!

And Richard is right in saying that having to tarp over a tent really defies the purpose of a 30 second tent.

I would never sleep in a leaky tent, even if the chances of rain seemed nill. I've been surprised by rain too often to risk it.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Richard E1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Just saw this when I went to Coleman site to write a review:
http://www.colemancorp.com/coleman/Cole ... urIbfL4JJd

"We will be adding a rain fly to the new Instant Tents, and will have rain flies available for older models during the upcoming season. Please check back with us early in the spring for this accessory. Thanks, Derek at Coleman"
Richard E1
Boy Scout

Postby Lin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:39 pm

That is good news. But of course the fly will add to the set-up time. It will depend on the system how much though. I hope the fly will have decent windows too. I decided against an Instant Up tent (http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/adve ... t-4p.aspx#) because the lack of windows in the fly would make for really bad ventilation when it's hot.

I did have a chuckle when I read their marketing spiel about the fabric: http://www.colemancorp.com/coleman/weathertec.asp
"Keeps you dry, guaranteed" and "Leak free seams". Well, maybe not so guaranteed...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Gear Guide