Flooding

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Flooding

Postby Soren G » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

OK,guys,here is a question from my wife:

What causes flooding and where in OZ?As much detail as possible please!
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Re: Flooding

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Rain and lots of it.....and all over Aust.

Why do you ask the question Gernod????
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Soren G » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 am

Ah,it´s just that my wife is such a scary cat and thinks that the flooding that effected parts of Queensland (as far as I know) could spring up everywhere...I told her that flooding is mostly related to the swelling of rivers and that the ocean itself doesn´t flood the land (as long as there is no Tsunami).I would just like to have her reassured by somebody else but me.As for Albany:well,there aren´t any big rivers and most of the city is somewhat on hills (as far as I can tell from Google maps),so it should be no problem at all.
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:33 am

Flooding of the ocean - like you might get in low lying countries in Europe - is rare or non-existent here. Though there are the doomsayers who have been predicting massive tsunamis on the East Coast sometime soon. But I doubt very much there is any real science behind that.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that it's not only rivers that flood though. Sometimes a little creek can cause significant flooding too. And you can still get flash flooding without a river or creek anywhere near. I believe it can happen anywhere in Australia, but some parts are indeed more prone to flooding than others.

The QLD floods were really extreme, even to Australian standards. Most of the time flooding is merely an annoyance, not a life threatening event.

Australia really is a country of extremes. If it isn't floods, it is drought and bushfires. But you get used to that idea. Just like you get used to the idea of deadly spiders and snakes around your house. :)

We had the neighbouring town flood last year after 7 years of severe drought! Suddenly the heavens opened, the dams filled up to the point where they had to let water out, which swelled the river, which flooded the town downstream (awful neighbours we are, I reckon!). From one extreme to the other...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Did anyone see the show about the Netherlands? Most of the country is below sea level ::() and they have to keep pumping the water out!
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Soren G » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:06 am

Steve,it´s 1/3 of the Netherlands that is under sea level,but they do that now for centuries.By the way:"Netherlands" which is called Neederlande in it´s native tong,means:lower lands.They are masters in dyke building,but you are right,it doesn´t take much to drown lots of their land (the German army did that by the end of ww2 in order to hinder the allies in their progress...the Dutch still don´t like us for it)
Soren G
Camping Veteran

Return to General Chit-Chat