Wangi Point Lakeside Holiday Park - Lake Macquarie

Wangi Point Lakeside Holiday Park - Lake Macquarie

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Myself/my wife & her 3 kids Just got back from a week camping on an unpowered site at Wangi Wangi on Lake Macquarie near Newcastle, it is our first camping trip since October 2009 when we went to Wee Jasper so we really appreciated the break!

we were camped on the left hand point almost near the tip

We had a ball! weather was kind to us too, only rained a bit at night & was hot during the day but not extreme, I ended up getting an almost all over tan as most of the week I was only wearing speedos around the camp :booty .

The camp site we had was on the point right next to the water with nobody camped in front of us so had a great view of the lake through the tree's...

I was up before 6am most mornings having sunrise swims in the lake & took a few long walks around the nature reserve which the holiday park is in the middle of.

When I showed my wife Chris the photos of the sunrise she told me to wake her so she could come too, the next day at 5:45 I nudged her awake & said "coming for a sunrise walk?" she groaned & said "maybe tomorrow" she is not really a early morning person like me... her loss :lol:

I had a great time exploring the local area, I even checked out the WW2 gun site on the ridge above the park...

I am yet to find out the full history of the gun emplacements, but I am thinking they were worried that the Japanese were going to sneak into Lake Macquarie & blow up the power stations...

The park is council run & the camp kitchen/showers/toilets were very clean & well maintained.

Their website: http://www.lakemac.com.au/holidayparks/park.asp?parkid=4

You can see more pictures from our camp on my Facebook album HERE

My Kmart 3-way fridge worked fantastic on gas for the week, I also had a small solar panel charging a 12v gel cell to keep our phones charged.

We are planning to go there again once we get my dad's old tinny going again, I inherited it from him when he died in Sept 2009 & the trailer/motor needs work.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Re: Wangi Point Lakeside Holiday Park - Lake Macquarie

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:50 pm

GREAT report and pics Michael. Glad it all went well for you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Very nice report :+ and nice looking family Micheal :+
No fishing?
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Titch2 wrote:Very nice report :+ and nice looking family Micheal :+
No fishing?
Titch

Thanks tich, Chris was the only one who caught anything! she caught 3 small fish, a trumpeter a bream & a leather jacket, but guess who forgot to photograph them before we kissed & released! :$

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Kay B » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Michael
The gun area at Wangi Wangi is because Rathmines is around the corner and that is where the catalinas flew out from. There is a radar area over near Catherine Hill Bay as well
Kay B

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:41 am

Kay B wrote:Michael
The gun area at Wangi Wangi is because Rathmines is around the corner and that is where the catalinas flew out from. There is a radar area over near Catherine Hill Bay as well

Hi Kay, I only found that out the week after we got back, I was chatting on Ham radio to an old guy aged in his late 80's who used to fly the catalina's out of Rathmines!

it's a pity that they don't have more protection of the gun sights from vandal's etc as it is still in relativly good condition & should be preserved with more info about what it was actually used for.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:55 pm

cokebottle wrote:
it's a pity that they don't have more protection of the gun sights from vandal's etc as it is still in relativly good condition & should be preserved with more info about what it was actually used for.

Michael

Same can be said about many if not most of our historical sites Michael.....it is a crying shame and too late when they are gone....lost forever.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Ok so where are the budgie snuggler photos ???? :booty :***
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby cokebottle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 am

Poodle Jewel wrote:Ok so where are the budgie snuggler photos ???? :booty :***

Well nobody took one of me at Wangi.... but here's one of me from a local waterfall 5 mins drive from our house in the mountains that my daughter took..

YOU ASKED FOR IT! :***

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

ha...ha....that we did Michael and you most certainly obliged....thank you......LOL
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to NSW