Tasmania Camping Information

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Tasmania Camping Information

Postby Tassie_Anna » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:29 pm

I was going to post an intro to myself, but not many people seem to do that. Besides, I can kill two rocky campsites with one roll in this forum ::()

Last year my partner and I got fed up with doing weekend camping trips into the various places around Tassie, and decided that we would do it properly. Our belongings went into storage for an unspecified period, we packed the camping gear, and drove off. No plans, no idea where we would go, or how long we would go for.

The trip lasted a little over 3 months before real life interfered, as it always does, and we were forced to return to civilisation once more. As you could imagine, we saw a lot of out of the way places, had some excellent moments, and discovered many of the hazzards of camping, as well as the joys.

We stuck to one rule along the way, and that was that we would only camp in free locations, staying away from caravan parks, B&B's, and such like. This created a far greater adventure for us, and led us into some extreme locations.

One thing we had already discovered was that there is not really a lot of unbiased info about camping around Tasmania available. Most of the information results from companies that want to sell you on package tours and such like. Even the guide we had to campsites around the state was way out of date, and full of bad information. Unfortunately, we did not discover much of this until actually arriving at the locations described.

Both of us have been involved in web design for a deal of time, and, as we journeyed, we discussed the notion of creating a community based site, (much like what is here), where people could share info, advice, tips, sites, and describe their experiences of camping in Tasmania.

We have camped throughout most states in Australia, but Tassie offers some unique challenges. The weather here can be very changeable, the terrain can be incredible, and the wildlife is abundant.

We have now got our basic site to a stage where we are ready to start inviting others in to help with their anecdotes, advice, and tips, or simply to gather information before heading down here.

Both of us are residents, now living on the West Coast, and are more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have about camping around this state. We would also welcome the addition of some people who are prepared to get actively involved, posting their stories, maybe even keeping a blog on our site, or just posting tips and advice on camping in general.

The community is completely non commercial, (though we do have an online gallery, and are planning on establishing a physical gallery to display our Tasmanian photography). This aspect is not being pushed though. Our main aim is simply to develop a central location where people can get info specifically relating to camping around Tasmania, and have that info without commercial bias.

We hope that many of the members here will join us at our new site, and help it grow into something great and useful.

Look forward to seeing you all at http://www.realtasmania.com

Happy Camping.
Real Tasmania.
Tassie_Anna

web site

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi

I like your idea. We are currently in the process of starting something similar in the Central Queensland region with rockyoutdoors.net , hopefully up and running in a month or so. This site is great, (camping.com.au) but our area is huge, and a meeting point of people and information for this area will be an invaluable resource for outdoor based recreation in this neck of the woods. Good luck, and happy camping. :+
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Tassie_Anna » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Good stuff ggpatrol. Hope it all goes well for you. I am sure you realise how much of a huge task it is to get something like this up and running.

Australia is such a huge place, and many of the local regions are quite large in themselves. I visited the northern tip back in the 70's, and you guys have a wonderful place up there, and huge too!!!

It surprised us, that we managed to clock up over 4,000 k's during our trip and have really only begun to scratch the surface of this place.

Good luck with your project.
Real Tasmania.
Tassie_Anna

Postby gqpatrol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:24 pm

thanks! :grin:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Return to Camping Tips and Locations